Cricket Fundamentals / Basics - New to the game

danny_Fc

Club Cricketer
I'm a very casual follower of cricket, and I'm looking for advice on the fundamentals to help inform me on what tactical decisions to make in game. (such as delivery length, shot type, etc)

Appreciate any general insight, but here are some specific queries;

Batting

> When is it right to play a defensive shot or leave or a ball entirely? What benefit is there to simply blocking as opposed to playing a shot?
> Footwork; I tend to opt to play on the front foot for good length and backfoot for short. How do you play against yorkers or full tosses?
> What's the significance of the ball marker when in flight? If I can see a ball pitching off-side, with the marker cutting in, should I look to play straight on?
> How much of shot types are pre-emptive as opposed to opportunist? Are there any signals to when a ball is there to be hit aggressively? What are the risks/benefits of aggressive low shots?
> In terms of patience / risk awareness, how often should I look for a boundary? I have a tendency to slog but can't get a sense of when it's better to play conservatively and how.

Bowling

> What strategies are there to get a batsman out with pace? I understand to vary the pitch, speed, and swing to make deliveries unpredictable, but is there any more to it than that?
> How often should I bowling on the wicket as opposed to the off-side? What's the risks / benefits of each? Is there any reason why a bowler wouldn't always ball on wicket?
> Am I right that spin/swing is predominantly to get an edge and catch? Beyond the direction of the spin, is there any significance or strategy to the various different types?

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm a very casual follower of cricket, and I'm looking for advice on the fundamentals to help inform me on what tactical decisions to make in game. (such as delivery length, shot type, etc)

Appreciate any general insight, but here are some specific queries;

Batting

> When is it right to play a defensive shot or leave or a ball entirely? What benefit is there to simply blocking as opposed to playing a shot?
> Footwork; I tend to opt to play on the front foot for good length and backfoot for short. How do you play against yorkers or full tosses?
> What's the significance of the ball marker when in flight? If I can see a ball pitching off-side, with the marker cutting in, should I look to play straight on?
> How much of shot types are pre-emptive as opposed to opportunist? Are there any signals to when a ball is there to be hit aggressively? What are the risks/benefits of aggressive low shots?
> In terms of patience / risk awareness, how often should I look for a boundary? I have a tendency to slog but can't get a sense of when it's better to play conservatively and how.

Bowling

> What strategies are there to get a batsman out with pace? I understand to vary the pitch, speed, and swing to make deliveries unpredictable, but is there any more to it than that?
> How often should I bowling on the wicket as opposed to the off-side? What's the risks / benefits of each? Is there any reason why a bowler wouldn't always ball on wicket?
> Am I right that spin/swing is predominantly to get an edge and catch? Beyond the direction of the spin, is there any significance or strategy to the various different types?
Batting
1. Balls you are not confident of. (Which might get you out or if you haven't got your timing yet)
2. It depends on the bounce of the ball. For any ball that bounces above the stumps, you can use your backfoot. Any ball below that, front foot.
3. Yes, that is to judge the line of the ball so you can choose your shot.
4. There are certain shots/balls you'll have less risk of hitting a six. These are mostly predicted based on the field setting, bowler skills, and expected delivery. Most balls on the leg side have a very less chance of getting out. (No LBW, No Bowled, Max. of 5 fielders on the leg side and max of 2 fielders behind the square.
5. It entirely depends on your timing, field placement, the ball, bowler skills, batsman skills and match situation(plays a very important role).

Bowling
1. Your line and length, and field placement. Bowl quality (Jump and Release)
2. Depends on the fielding and as I said earlier, it has chances of going down the leg, so less risk for aggressive shots.
3. it is mainly to get the batsman out by tricking him into making a mistake.

marcopolio1001

School Cricketer
Jumping into this thread as have a simple question but can't figure out the answer. The late cut that the AI plays, dropping the bat and running the ball late off the face - how on earth do you play that? Does it need a certain batting style?

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Jumping into this thread as have a simple question but can't figure out the answer. The late cut that the AI plays, dropping the bat and running the ball late off the face - how on earth do you play that? Does it need a certain batting style?
there are a few shots the AI can play that a human simply cannot, this is one of them...

Users who are viewing this thread