Current Generation Best XIs

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
I am surprised you haven't picked Russel. I think I saw somewhere that you had included him in All time Best XI.
Also notice afterwards I haven't included him, the ^ above is purely based on T20 stats. But Russell will definitely be there (on the stats) with the best T20 soon :D

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Very grounded thank you. What don't you agree on? I'd imagine some people would be surprised at the lack of Kholi, but I've always rated Rahane above him in the longer format.

Well for starters Mohammad Shahzad doesn't play test cricket and Quinton is insanely unproven and is nowhere near AB or the Pakistani keeper at test level. BJ Watling is better then all of those (if you won't let AB keep) keepers. Chris Woakes batting at 7? With the batsmen and bowlers available there's no need to have a bowling all rounder at 7. Amla and AB aren't in? I'm not the biggest AB fan but they are both better/more proven then Rahane and Root (although I reckon Root will become better). Yasir Shah as good as he is hasn't done enough outside the subcontinent (as far as I'm aware) to warrant him being the best spinner in the world. Most of those are more opinion based but the fact that Mohammad Shahzad is in your test XI raises concerns...

fsdgf

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well for starters Mohammad Shahzad doesn't play test cricket and Quinton is insanely unproven and is nowhere near AB or the Pakistani keeper at test level. BJ Watling is better then all of those (if you won't let AB keep) keepers. Chris Woakes batting at 7? With the batsmen and bowlers available there's no need to have a bowling all rounder at 7. Amla and AB aren't in? I'm not the biggest AB fan but they are both better/more proven then Rahane and Root (although I reckon Root will become better). Yasir Shah as good as he is hasn't done enough outside the subcontinent (as far as I'm aware) to warrant him being the best spinner in the world. Most of those are more opinion based but the fact that Mohammad Shahzad is in your test XI raises concerns...

Shahzad only got because he's an excellent keeper (from the admittedly little I've seen of him) and he's a powerful hitter, which is all you'd really need for a guy coming in down the order after players like Smith, Williamson Root and Cook. Obviously he hasn't played test cricket yet, yeah, but he averages over 50 in first class cricket. It was that lack of test experience that made me put de Kock in alongside him, since we have seen plenty of him in the longer form of the game.

Watling would honestly be fourth on my list behind Nevill. He's good with the gloves, but I'd say Nevill is better, and I can't remember the last innings of note he played apart from belting around Zimbabwe.

If I did the list two or three years ago, Amla and AB would have been the first two players I put in. They've both hit a dry spell of late though. Amla's looking good again after passing on test captaincy, but I still wouldn't put him above Root or Rahane as things stand right now. Whenever AB keeps his batting suffers, so I really wouldn't want to force him into that role.

As far as Yasir goes, he's arguably the best spinner in Asia and he bowled incredibly well at Lords a few months ago, even if he did follow it up with a bunch of ordinary spells after that. The only other player I'd consider as a "best in the world" spinner would be Ashwin, but he's very ordinary outside of the subcontinent too. Herath's a good bowler too, but I'd hesitate to put him in a world XI.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Okay, if we're doing a present day World XI thread I'm getting in on the action.

Test Cricket
:aus: :bat: David Warner
:eng: :bat: Alastair Cook :c:
:nzf: :bat: Kane Williamson
:eng: :bat: Joe Root
:aus: :bat: Steven Smith
:pak: :wkb: Sarfraz Ahmed
:ind: :ar: Ravi Ashwin
:aus: :bwl: Mitchell Starc
:saf: :bwl: Dale Steyn
:sri: :bwl: Rangana Herath
:eng: :bwl: James Anderson

A couple of tricky spots to fill, but in the end they were filled by Cook and Anderson respectively. It's not easy to leave out AB de Villiers from this side, but as it's Test cricket I've just gone for those who have been most reliable of late. Saying that, Anderson may be on his way out given how many injuries he seems to be picking up. Only two spinners in this side, but they are very good spinners indeed.

ODI Cricket
:saf: :wkb: Quinton de Kock
:ind: :bat: Virat Kohli
:saf: :bat: AB de Villiers :c:
:ban: :ar: Shakib Al Hasan
:ind: :ar: Ravi Ashwin
:afg: :bwl: Rashid Khan
:ban: :bwl: Mustafizur Rahman

It's not a perfectly balanced team, what with Root being a bit out of position and such like, but I don't think there's another outstanding ODI opener at the moment besides QDK. I also felt a little reluctant to pick Steyn for this format, which admittedly isn't his best, but he's just such a good bowler that he had to have a place in the end. Oh, and it was a straight choice between Mustafizur Rahman and Matt Henry, so I went for the one I'd less like to face.

T20 Cricket
:saf: :wkb: Quinton de Kock
:aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell
:ind: :bat: Virat Kohli :c:
:saf: :bat: AB de Villiers
:eng: :wkb: Jos Buttler
:wi: :ar: Andre Russell
:afg: :bwl: Rashid Khan
:wi: :bwl: Samuel Badree

As you might expect, there's quite a lot of cross-over from the ODI side. Again I've gone with quite a lot of spinners because that's just what works in Twenty20 cricket. Glenn Maxwell also keeps his newfound role at the top of the order because it turns out he's really seriously good at it. Chris Gayle no longer makes this eleven, but at the peak of his powers he would have done.

Mitchell Starc is the only man in all three elevens.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
It's not a perfectly balanced team, what with Root being a bit out of position and such like, but I don't think there's another outstanding ODI opener at the moment besides QDK.

If you are looking for another opener in ODI's, I would go for Rohit Sharma or Hashim Amla as they both open in ODI's and have a pretty good record. I can't argue with QDK.

Also one other thought, I have seen many people go for Warner as their opener in test cricket with Cook. I can't argue with Cook's selection because he has proved himself but I do feel that Murli Vijay would be a better choice than Warner for test team opener. Warner mostly gets his runs in Australia where as Vijay has got runs pretty much everywhere that he has travelled. He is not as aggressive as Warner but does his job good enough to vouch for a place.

Aislabie

Ireland
If you are looking for another opener in ODI's, I would go for Rohit Sharma or Hashim Amla as they both open in ODI's and have a pretty good record. I can't argue with QDK.

Also one other thought, I have seen many people go for Warner as their opener in test cricket with Cook. I can't argue with Cook's selection because he has proved himself but I do feel that Murli Vijay would be a better choice than Warner for test team opener. Warner mostly gets his runs in Australia where as Vijay has got runs pretty much everywhere that he has travelled. He is not as aggressive as Warner but does his job good enough to vouch for a place.
I see your point, but when it comes to sheer consistency, it's hard to look past Root for the ODI team. Unfortunately there was nowhere to squeeze him into the middle order though; as for Amla and Rohit, two years ago they would probably have been my opening pair, but not at the moment. No form.

As for Vijay, he's not really someone who's going to take the game away from you. I picked Warner over him by asking myself the question of which would I less like to bowl at.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
I see your point, but when it comes to sheer consistency, it's hard to look past Root for the ODI team. Unfortunately there was nowhere to squeeze him into the middle order though; as for Amla and Rohit, two years ago they would probably have been my opening pair, but not at the moment. No form.

As for Vijay, he's not really someone who's going to take the game away from you. I picked Warner over him by asking myself the question of which would I less like to bowl at.
Rohit has played 5 ODI innings this year averaging 110.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I agree with you here... Rohit's place in ODIs was never questionable and never will be.

Aislabie

Ireland
Harsh as it sounds, I've got to throw sample size at you. Those are five innings, and he's not played an ODI for the last nine months (nearly). In 22 international matches in those nine months, he's not hit a century. He doesn't look like someone who is about to, either. That's why he doesn't make my team.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I had posted my T20I team earlier. Here is my ODI team-

:saf::wkb:Quniton De Kock
:aus::bat:David Warner :c:
:ind::bat:Virat Kohli
:eng::bat:Joe Root
:saf::bat:AB De Villiers
:sri::ar:Angelo Mathews
:ban::ar: Shakib Al Hassan
:ind::bwl:Ravi Ashwin
:aus::bwl:Mitchell Starc
:saf::bwl:Dale Steyn
:ban::bwl:Mustafizur Rehman

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
Tests

:eng: :bat: Alastair Cook :c:
:nzf: :bat: Kane Williamson
:eng: :wk: Jonny Bairstow
:eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
:ind: :ar: Ravichandran Ashwin
:aus: :ar: Mitchell Starc
:eng: :bwl: James Anderson

Rangana Herath comes in for Steyn on spinning pitches.

ODIs

:saf: :wk: Quinton de Kock
:ind: :bat: Virat Kohli
:saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers :c:
:sri: :ar: Angelo Mathews
:saf: :bwl: Kagiso Rabada
:saf: :bwl: Imran Tahir

T20Is

:ind: :bat: Rohit Sharma
:afg: :wkb: Mohammad Shahzad
:ind: :bat: Virat Kohli :c:
:saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers
:aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell
:eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
:wi: :ar: Andre Russell
:aus: :ar: James Faulkner
:ind: :ar: Ravichandran Ashwin

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
In 22 international matches in those nine months, he's not hit a century.
First of all, its your team so its your wish whether you want him in the team or not..

Now this is one of the worst logics you can use to judge someone...
Paying attention to the formats he played in - T20 and Tests.. In T20s, not everyone can make a century, but still they are great players... And the ones who make a century are not always the ones you could refer as greatest.. For example.. Tamim Iqbal has a century in T20I while Virat Kohli doesn't have one.. So will you take Tamim Iqbal or Virat Kohli in your Best Current Generation XI?

And in Tests, everyone here knows that Rohit is not that good player in Tests than he is in limited overs so that is the reason he has not made a century..

Sometimes, centuries are not the only thing would tell you about the players consistency...
Rohit Sharma has performed almost everytime since Jan 2016...
Starting from the Man of the series in the ODIs vs Australia( not to forget 2 centuries and one 99 ) to 3 consecutive 50s in the T20s. Then in the Sri Lanka series, he made fast paced and aggressive 50s in the last 2 T20s... Then the forst match in the Asia Cup against Bangladesh, he made some 80 runs and was the main aggressor in the Indian Innings... Yes, after that he didnt perform much but still he was consistent making regular 40s and 30s... Then in the ongoing Ind vs Nz series, he currebtly has 2 fifties (that too one in a very difficult pitch)

After all this, if you still think Rohit hasn't been in form then i can't say anything else

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Surprised to see Yasir's name in very few Test XIs.

wtachetna

School Cricketer
Every cricket lover has a choice and player preference. In my opinion it is normal and we should appreciate each others' choice of players. My personal favorite is Virat Kohli and I get biased whenever people take my views about other players.

thetruespiderman493

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
:saf::saf:ODI-
Jos Butler:eng:
David Warner:aus:
Virat Kohli:ind::c:
Joe Root:eng:
Ab De Villiers:saf:
Sarfraz Ahmed:pak: