Discussing Problems of Cricket and its nations | Lack Of Communication

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
If the ICC could maybe have something like an official "Associates" team or something, then okay, that team should always be automatically qualified for the World Cup.

While I agree with getting new players into the game via T20, I don't agree with having them remain there.

EDIT: Not going to post-spam the thread by creating a new reply, but this can be considered a new thought. At some point in the future, let's discuss having longer tours. One practice match, two Tests, three ODIs and one T20? One drawn practice match, two drawn Tests, a one-sided ODI series victory? Is that considered enough, or should there be more matches? Remember when series were 5 Tests, 5-7 ODIs?

Last edited:

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
By bilateral series which one do you mean

Full tour - 3 tests 5 Odis 1 T20I
Half tour - 2 tests 3 Odis 1 t20i
One off tour - 3 Odis or t20is or 1 test
Mega tour - 7 Odis 5 tests 3 t20is
Test tour - 5 tests 3 t20is

Also where is it going to be host ?

India,UAE,Pakistan or somewhere else?

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
By bilateral series which one do you mean

Full tour - 3 tests 5 Odis 1 T20I
Half tour - 2 tests 3 Odis 1 t20i
One off tour - 3 Odis or t20is or 1 test
Mega tour - 7 Odis 5 tests 3 t20is
Test tour - 5 tests 3 t20is

Also where is it going to be host ?

India,UAE,Pakistan or somewhere else?
There is no fixed number of matches in bilateral Series. How can I tell that? This type of series will be hosted most likely at homes of any of the teams or UAE! I hope you understood

Manish.

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Firstly , Pakistani Board should arrange international matches in their home to prove the safety conditions as they have did in PSL final & next Pakistani govt must give enough trust to BCCI / Indian home affairs about their precautions ( even though home affairs won't care ). Further ICC make their involvement in this issue with both BCCI and PCB ( however bcci always dominates icc ). To make sure above conditions true boarders between the 2 counties should maintain peace.

@Sinister One

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Firstly , Pakistani Board should arrange international matches in their home to prove the safety conditions as they have did in PSL final & next Pakistani govt must give enough trust to BCCI / Indian home affairs about their precautions ( even though home affairs won't care ). Further ICC make their involvement in this issue with both BCCI and PCB ( however bcci always dominates icc ). To make sure above conditions true boarders between the 2 counties should maintain peace.

@Sinister One
PCB is trying their best to bring International Cricket. First Zimbabwe came, then two seasons of PSL, World XI, Sri Lanka, West Indies and now 1/3rd of PSL 2019 is going to happen in Pakistan. It is just a matter of when big teams are willing to come.

And ICC's involvement is very much necessary to settle the issues as far as Cricket is concerned. (Even though as you said BCCI dominates ICC). The bigger board is BCCI here so if there is no green signal from BCCI nothing is gonna change.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If they play at home (either teams') - No. If they play at neutral venue - Yes.

The only thing that is stopping both the teams to play the bilateral series is the border and political issues. Both countries will face huge criticism by the so-called political experts and they won't allow the match to be played in either countries. I'm talking about the Bilateral series and not the ICC tournaments. I'm surprised, people forget everything during ICC games and will come in huge no. to support their teams. But it is not the same in bilateral series. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying why don't they forget everything altogether. Why discrimination between a ICC game and a series game. :p

If the bilateral series matches are to be played, they should go for a neutral venue like UAE (though it is the second home for Pakistan). Or play the games in USA, which would do two things:
1. Bilateral Series is actual played between these two teams with neutral venue.
2. Cricket will be promoted in USA.

Yes, revenue generation would be far less compared to the home series but at least the bilateral series will be played and the game of cricket is promoted which is a great thing than just earning money.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
How to bring Test cricket back to life?
And how to reduce the home domination of teams?
@Ashutosh. @Quadralus @qpeedore @Perfect Square @Rebel2k19 @SaiSrini @Manish. @El Loco @PresidentEvil @Kumbis
Firstly get more people to watch test cricket. Since FTP in place now. So that should give smaller cricket nations a chance to showcase their talent as well. Try to advertise Test Cricket more (Like Ashes). Like in T20s. Arrange mini-games and competitions give prizes offer packages to the people so they can be busy with that as well. Not just sit all day or watch the game for 1-2 hrs. Apply this to the viewers on TV as well (Introduce Fantasy Cricket in Test).

Most importantly to reduce home domination eliminate the use of toss and let the touring side decide whether to bat or field

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Home domination isn't a problem.

To go away and defeat the best eleven cricketers a country can throw at you, in conditions that are familiar to them and unfamiliar to you, should be difficult. The real statistical outlier here is India: in their last 50 home Tests since 2008, they have won 35 and lost only four. This is a remarkable statistic, but really should be no less than they aim for: with a population of a billion to choose from, the best eleven Indian cricketers should be the best team in the world and almost unbeatable in India.

As for energising Test cricket, a competition structure that includes all twelve Full Member countries would I think be a good start. I would really enjoy a Davis Cup type structure.

Firstly, the year needs to be split into three phases.
Phase One: January to May
Phase Two: May to September
Phase Three: September to December

These three phases overlap slightly in the hope that all Test nations would be able to find at least one month in that phase of the calendar in which they would be able to host Test matches.

= = = = =

World Group
:aus: Australia
:eng: England
:ind: India
:nzf: New Zealand
:pak: Pakistan
:saf: South Africa
:sri: Sri Lanka
:wi: West Indies

Challenger Group
:afg: Afghanistan
:ban: Bangladesh
:ire: Ireland
:zim: Zimbabwe

= = = = =

Phase One
World Group
Quarter-Finals
:up: Series winners progress to World Group Semi-Finals
:down: Series losers progress to Challenger Group

For example:
:aus: 2-1 :pak:
:ind: 3-0 :eng:
:nzf: 2-0 :sri:
:wi: 1-2 :saf:

Phase Two
World Group
Semi-Finals
:up: Series winners progress to Bannerman Cup Series
:down: Series losers remain in World Group

For example:
:ind: 3-0 :aus:
:saf: 2-1 :nzf:

Challenger Group Series
:up: Series winners promoted to World Group for following season
:down: Series losers remain in Challenger Group for following season

For example:
:pak: 3-0 :afg:
:eng: 3-0 :ire:
:zim: 0-3 :sri:
:ban: 1-2 :wi:

Phase Three
:up: Series winners lift the Bannerman Cup
:down: Both teams remain in the World Group for the following season

Bannerman Cup
Series (The Finals)
:ind: 2-1 :saf:

(Each team gets two home matches, plus the option of a fifth, neutral Test to decide the series if required)

Now, I'm not saying that this is the only solution. I mean, it's not even the only workable solution I've come up with in the last week, but there needs to be some sort of competition structure for Test cricket, and it needs to contain all twelve teams to some extent. There's no point paying attention to nine and leaving three behind

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
In his MAK Pautaudi Speech, Kevin Pietersen said this regarding future of test cricket:
If we wish cricketers to commit to five-day cricket we have to pay them. And as an ex-cricketer, I can now say this without being accused of self-interest! For once!

So how do we pay them? Simply by throwing the same commercial nouse and innovation at the Test game. Five days of action. They provide so many opportunities. Day night games have demonstrated the enormous leaps that are possible. The IPL doesn’t play its biggest fixtures when many of its staunchest, wealthiest fans are at work. Neither should Test cricket.

It will only be by pushing the marketing dial to a maximum that we will see if the Test game has true potential. Let’s make every game count. Push the profile of the world Test championship. Develop marketing opportunities. Offer cheaper seats in the ground to provide a better spectacle for TV viewers. Is there a game anywhere quite like Test cricket in which so many people are passionate despite rarely attending a game in person?

We need to get them back through the turnstiles. It’s better for the players the sponsors and television.

Let’s get the fans back!

Let’s throw equal marketing clout behind the Test game before we succumb to the lazy assumption that 20-20 rules.

To those who hear this and remain cynical. Who question the entertainment value of Tests. Who believe that I am wistful about something that will soon be associated with black and white television fax machines and telegrams.

I say, let’s create a fair comparison. Let’s not compromise entertainment. Let’s put the Test fans first. Let’s make Test cricket a spectacle. Garnish it with colour and fireworks. Fill the grounds. Play in the evenings. Give the umpires microphones to broadcast to the spectators. Allow sledging – as long as it remains the right side of the line. Communicate better with the fans.

Give the players a voice during play. Entertainment isn’t just about hitting the ball hard or bowling bouncers. It’s about creating an experience.

Users who are viewing this thread