Do the admins read our PM's?

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Do (or can) the admins or owners on this site read our private messages or the messages sent through the reputation system?

I'd like to know. Because if they can access either of these things, I'll choose to email other members instead, in the interests of privacy.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
They will read the ones you send through pm, but can't imagine they read the ones on the reputations.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
We read PMs that are reported and ditto reps that are reported. There's an option in ACP to read rep comments but not to read PMs.
When a PM is reported the text appears in a new thread for us to read.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
They will read the ones you send through pm, but can't imagine they read the ones on the reputations.

No. I'm not referring to any PM's sent to them. What I mean is, can they read the PM's we send to other members (the ones we think are private).

CaptainOZ added 1 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

We read PMs that are reported and ditto reps that are reported. There's an option in ACP to read rep comments but not to read PMs.
When a PM is reported the text appears in a new thread for us to read.
So if a PM is NOT reported, is it completely inaccessible?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Nothing it completely inaccessible but you have to log into cpanel and then phpmyadmin and know what sql commands to run. At a guess only 2 of the admins know how to do that anyway!
Bottom line they can be looked at so if you're worried use e-mail like you said.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Nothing it completely inaccessible but you have to log into cpanel and then phpmyadmin and know what sql commands to run. At a guess only 2 of the admins know how to do that anyway!
Bottom line they can be looked at so if you're worried use e-mail like you said.

Okay. Thanks for the replies.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Nah, I wouldn't recommend they bother, I've been reading all his PM's and they aren't all that interesting :spy

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'll put a bottom line under this that it takes very extreme circumstances before we'd actually look, it isn't something that we do lightly. I certainly strongly believe that it is a breach of trust to do so. Colin is a bit more Orwellian though.

I'll add that if you delete a PM, it is removed from the database immediately and irrecoverably and considering how long and difficult the process of reading them is, you are almost guaranteed that even if we were trying to read your PMs, you'd be able to read and delete them before we'd get the chance.

Sureshot

Executive member
As the others have said, though we do hack in to your e-mails, someone has to give Sly a job!;)

Users who are viewing this thread