'Do you want to allow 'x' to make changes to your computer'?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
While this is a good feature in Win 7, it's annoying if you've previously told the system it's ok for a specific program to run - is there a way to make it remember that it's ok to run it instead of asking the question every time? I don't want to lower the security settings so that any program can run, just ones that have previously been given permission to run.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think so. I think it does that incase something's pretending to be something else maybe?

I don't use it anyway. Turned it off.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hmmm, I'd strongly advise against turning it off - anything can run on your system without it - anything at all.

Chewie

BCCI President
Well no it can't. I'm careful with what I download and my anti-virus should protect me against nearly anything. There's no need to have it on if you're careful.

themuel1

International Coach
Well no it can't. I'm careful with what I download and my anti-virus should protect me against nearly anything. There's no need to have it on if you're careful.

Remember, Anti Viruses are always one step behind the people that make the viruses......

What's bloody annoying is that with Mcafee you can't stop it from recognising something as a trojan, even if you know its not., which means at the moment, I can't play using a mod (legal) on games on my PC.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Remember, Anti Viruses are always one step behind the people that make the viruses......

What's bloody annoying is that with Mcafee you can't stop it from recognising something as a trojan, even if you know its not., which means at the moment, I can't play using a mod (legal) on games on my PC.

Indeed - it's a risky game not to use a very good safety feature of Win 7. It's annoying you can't tell it to remember when you gave something permission to run though.

Chewie

BCCI President

I don't plan on downloading anything with a virus in the first place ;) Or anything dodgy that could be harbouring one.

Are you sure you can't? I used to use McAfee and would just make exceptions to folders where it would think the trojan was hiding.

themuel1

International Coach
I don't plan on downloading anything with a virus in the first place ;) Or anything dodgy that could be harbouring one.

Are you sure you can't? I used to use McAfee and would just make exceptions to folders where it would think the trojan was hiding.

Yeah, old ones you could, now its a policy for them to not allow it.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

Well it's up to you, but I once downloaded a freeware 'Mario Clone' that had a lovely little trojan in it. ;)

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I've had that turned off for months, gets very annoying.

Have Avast, Spybot and regular Advanced System Care scans and I've had no infections since before last year.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've had that turned off for months, gets very annoying.

Have Avast, Spybot and regular Advanced System Care scans and I've had no infections since before last year.

What's Advanced System Care - does it come with Windows 7?

One other thing, since we're talking Anti malware software, Adaware has started freezing a few minutes into a scan, and then spitting out an error message. I tried updating, reinstalling and neither worked - any ideas what's up with it? I don't like having Adaware down - it has found quite a few things that both Spypot and AVG missed.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Advanced System Care is a piece of freeware with a load of programs attached to it like Game Booster. Also has a a few scanners for spyware and the like.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
What's Advanced System Care - does it come with Windows 7?

One other thing, since we're talking Anti malware software, Adaware has started freezing a few minutes into a scan, and then spitting out an error message. I tried updating, reinstalling and neither worked - any ideas what's up with it? I don't like having Adaware down - it has found quite a few things that both Spypot and AVG missed.

Any idea what's going on with Adaware?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's best to turn UAC down, not off. This is only a feature of Win7, not Vista. Turning it off works for programs which assume you will give them admin access, but can knacker programs that are written correctly. A side effect is that UAC enables file and registry virtualisation, so when it is off, programs stop being redirected to write in the user folder, which may have undesired results, especially on a multi-user machine.

The concept behind UAC is deliberately annoying. Basically, it's there to encourage programmers to write more secure, less annoying programs.

However, it does have good security effects for the user. Obviously, it can alert the user when anything suspicious is asking for elevation, but it's most valuable against rootkits. Rootkits serve purely to exploit access to the machine and their stealthiness has traditionally evaded most antivirus programs.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's best to turn UAC down, not off. This is only a feature of Win7, not Vista. Turning it off works for programs which assume you will give them admin access, but can knacker programs that are written correctly. A side effect is that UAC enables file and registry virtualisation, so when it is off, programs stop being redirected to write in the user folder, which may have undesired results, especially on a multi-user machine.

The concept behind UAC is deliberately annoying. Basically, it's there to encourage programmers to write more secure, less annoying programs.

However, it does have good security effects for the user. Obviously, it can alert the user when anything suspicious is asking for elevation, but it's most valuable against rootkits. Rootkits serve purely to exploit access to the machine and their stealthiness has traditionally evaded most antivirus programs.

Absolutely, that's why I'm going to leave it turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread