Eden Park Auckland

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Cricket: Test vision for Victoria Park - Sport - NZ Herald News

victoriainternationalpark.co.nz

If you go to the bottom of the website link, there's a pdf full of the plans etc.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it tbh. I don't buy into this whole "grass embankment" idea that NZC has going. The two most famous cricket grounds in the world are Lords and the MCG, and neither of them have grass embankments.

Yes test cricket struggles for support here, but I don't see more people going along to Vic Park compared to if they bring tests back to Eden Park. Like they currently give tests to Dunedin and Napier, who literally struggle to break 1000 spectators a day. Even the Basin is turning into crap, with the old stands too earthquake prone now and it having the worst drainage in the world. I've just seen nothing to show that these "grass embankment" grounds are the answers to test cricket's problems here. Yes Seddon Park has been a success, point taken there, but the likes of Eden Park and the old AMI Stadium have been in the past.

Are they going to get more people to Eden Park that they are to McLean Park, yes. Are people going to complain about test cricket being played in a stadium, go and look at every other main country around the world.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In NZ though you'd get a much better atmosphere in a grass embankment stadium due to the lack of popularity in test cricket

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Does that really matter though? Like people who want to watch test cricket are going to go along anyway. Take Dunedin for example:

Say they used to get 1000ish people to Carisbrook, now do they get any more people because of the received "better atmosphere" at the University Oval? I've seem nothing to suggest that they do. I'd make a pretty good guess that the same people still go along, and the same people don't go along.

I'd be happy if this wasn't the case and test cricket exploded in popularity because of a new ground, but for a test at Eden Park you might get 4000ish people each day, and if you build a new ground I don't think that's going to change, the same amount of people are still going to go along.

I've just seen nothing to suggest that it's better playing outside of stadiums. Yes that's what we're told, but tests in these grounds like Dunedin and Napier continue to attract very few spectators.

Tbh I disagree on that whole atmosphere thing anyway, it doesn't make any difference. I used to go along to tests after school at Eden Park and their was a good enough atmosphere there, better than the likes of Napier when I've been to there. Even when I've been to Colin Maiden Park for domestic matches it's just too small (I know the new ground would be twice the size of that).

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Eden Park just isn't right for cricket so I'd definitely rather have 4000 at the proposed Victoria Park ground than 4000 at Eden Park. They did bring up some good points like City workers being able to pop into the ground easily during the weekday.

One thing they do need to fix up is the practice nets if they go ahead with this, they are a joke right now.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Don't get me wrong I'd rather watch cricket at a proper cricket ground compared to Eden Park, but for the purpose of one test match a year I don't see the point in making another makeshift cricket ground in the Auckland area. Like there's already Colin Maiden Park, the Outer Oval, I've been to domestic matches at Cornwall Park, the Woman play at Melville Park, etc. Either go all out and build a proper cricket ground somewhere (like Seddon Park, i.e. with a capacity of 10,000+) for all cricket matches at all domestic and international levels (obviously unless they're expecting a massive crowd which is only happens maybe likes once a year), or don't build one at all because of all of hassles that will go with it. (That probably makes more sense than what I was trying to say before)

With the whole workers argument, I don't really think that it will bring in any extra people. Because of that they'll probably push the start time back to like midday so people can come down for the last session, and the session will end after half an hour because of bad light.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Obviously if they are going for a temporary or new stadium then the domestic games have to be played there. A new stadium would be ideal as you could start building some traditions which you can't with a make shift one, however as always money is the issue. I don't remember what sort of crowd numbers are turning up for ODIs but if its over 20,000 then obviously the NZ Cricket board won't be moving ODIs from Eden Park to the new ground which means it will only be hosting Test and domestic matches. That's where it won't be worth it and where the temporary stands come into play.

Being in the city will definitely attract more people to the games. There is no question what people would choose between going to a match on a weekday at Eden Park, Colin Maiden or at Victoria Park. Heck I went to one of the Aces FC matches during lunch time because it was across the road.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
My understanding is that the Aces want to play at Eden Park. There were talks when they first moved out to Colin Maiden that they might just stay out there, but they're trying to get the Outer Oval ready for next season. I don't think they'll move to Vic Park, considering that they probably considered moving there temporary before but saw Colin Maiden as a better option. If it's just a temporary thing as well, then I don't think they'll want to shut off public access for such a large proportion of the year (i.e. with the fences and stuff), as well as all of the disruptions it will cause to Grafton cricket. That's why I'm saying that they should either build something permanent and use it for all domestic and international matches, which isn't going to happen with Vic Park, or just don't build anything new at all, considering the Outer Oval is good enough for all domestic matches, and the main Stadium is good enough for all limited oval international matches. So like I said before it's only going to solve the test match problem which will only be one game a year.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well obviously if the Aces don't move then there is no point in doing anything. It all lies with them as to what happens with a new/temporary stadium in Auckland.

The main thing drawing me to Vic Park is the location, having a stadium in the city is real handy. Hence I was also a supporter of the Waterfront stadium.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
A waterfront stadium was just not feasible though. Eden Park only fills up once a year for the Bledisloe Cup Test, it wasn't even full last week for the Ireland Test. It was no where near full for the Kiwis Tests, and it's even less full for cricket and football internationals. So they would've effectively been building a stadium for the World Cup which was a one off, and for one Rugby Test a year. Obviously if we were made of money like the Arab States, then why not chuck a stadium there, but we're already in debt, so I just didn't see any point in building a new stadium. I heard the new Dunedin stadium is already racking up the debt as well.

I guess my thoughts are the same here. Yes I'd be great to have a proper test cricket ground, but for one Test a year it's just not worth it. This article here talks a bit about it's unlikely that Auckland Cricket will be willing to move away from Eden Park, hence it will more than likely be for just one Test a year.

Phen

School Cricketer
I liked having the Aces games at Colin Maiden Park because it was much easier to get to for me personally and it feels more like a classic cricket ground while Eden Park is a mix and mash stadium that doesn't know what it is. Colin Maiden Park would be great for the Aces for the Plunket Shield and the Ford Trophy as crowd numbers don't exceed the capacity however, the ground was packed for the HRV Cup games and so I could understand them wanting to head back to Eden Park.

I'd love to see a new stadium built (a classic cricket only stadium) with around a 20 000 capacity that both the Aces and the Blackcaps could use for all formats however I don't know where this could go and I know how tight everyone's pockets are right now and no doubt the general public would fight it until it was put to bed.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Stoked about that. I don't the drive down to Hamilton but this will be much closer. Already going to catch the T20 at Eden Park and the Tests will be the only chance I get to watch KP and Strauss play.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Probably not, because of the worse time zone, the worse field dimensions, and the smaller capacity, compared to both the MCG and ANZ. I'd be quite happy if we get two quarters and a semi.

spooony

Club Captain
Maybe you guys should start performing in test cricket for the crowds to come. :D
Then there is that drop in pitches....

Users who are viewing this thread