England In India - October 2011/12

Well normally I'm the first guy to call Swann out as being overrated, but I thought his Ashes was solid on a personal level, and very good on a team level. In 2009 Swann bowled pretty badly, but in 2010/11 he was mostly tidy. Mike Hussey played him well, but that was about it as I saw it. He managed to tie up everyone else - note the word tie up - not bamboozle...That used to be a spinners job before Murali and especially Warne came along. Haddin occasionally broke the shackles, but had to risk a fair bit to do so.

But no, I don't think he'll run through too many good batting lineups, especially if they have plenty of right handers. But he'll still be a good asset to the team, able to hold up one end and help build pressure.

Here is the bowling average against top teams

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

All i know is Anderson and Swann have pathetic record against top 3 teams.

And major :lol at Tendulkar= Pietersen when Tendulkar is no.1 ranked player. And another massive lol at ranking of Bell and Prior despite their pathetic record against India. :lol

Well let me just tell you a cautionary tale about James Anderson. LOTS of people were talking about how crappy he was going to be in 2010/11 Ashes based on his stats against good teams, his stats overseas and his history against Australia. Many lists were being made like the ones above with one player head to head against another and most of the ones I saw went for Hilfenhaus over Anderson in that matchup. But that meant jack-squat once the games actually started. Anderson was great and saying he was going to be poor based on the pasting he got 4 years earlier seems laughable now. 4 years is a LONG time to improve. Yes, I'm aware there were more factors than the 06/07 Ashes going into the predictions that Anderson would suck, but they made up a fair chunk of it.

Ditto for a certain Alistair Cook. His stats showed all the warning signs that he would suck too, poor record against good teams, poor record vs Australia etc. but he had one of the great series in history.

So saying that Bell and Prior are bad against India seems laughable to me, since the last time they played India they were shadows of their current batting form and ability.

India Is Just By Name Number 1 Test Team As We Have Seen Yesterday How West Indies Give Them Tough Time. :p And Now The Mighty England Which Are The Ashes Winner Gonna Beat Them Easily I am Pretty Sure.

Cricketlover, did I ever say you were the most pathetic clown in disguise to this website? By writing KP 2-2 Sachin, I meant Sachin added a point for India after England were leading 2-1 until Trott vs Dravid. Since when are jokers like you gonna understand that?

Strauss 0-1 Sehwag
Cook 1-1 Gambhir -> Here Cook pulls one back for England.
Trott 2-1 Dravid -> Here Trott adds one to England to make it 2-1
Pietersen 2-2 Tendulkar -> Here Tendulkar pulls one back for India to make it 2-2 and so on...
Bell 3-2 Laxman
Morgan 3-2 Raina (or maybe Morgan>Raina?)
Prior 4-2 Dhoni
Swann 5-2 Harbhajan
Broad/Finn 5-2 Sreesanth
Anderson 5-2 Zaheer Khan (again giving the benefit of doubt to 'India')
Tremlett 6-2 Ishant

So basically, I'm trying to say:

Strauss < Sehwag
Cook > Gambhir
Trott >= Dravid
KP < Sachin
Bell > Laxman
Morgan = Raina
Prior > Dhoni
Broad/Finn = Sreesanth
Swann > Harbhajan
Anderson = Zaheer
Tremlett > Ishant Sharma

Last edited:
And regarding the rankings, its that period of the year where the rankings are about to be upgraded (during August, I believe) - exactly when this series concludes. So England are just a series victory from going top.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All i know is Anderson and Swann have pathetic record against top 3 teams.

Anderson >> Zaheer is not trash. And top it all giving benefit of "doubt " to India. Give me a break.

And another massive lol at ranking of Bell and Prior despite their pathetic record against India.

This is Anderson in England vs Zaheer Khan in England

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...rderby=default;template=results;type=allround

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...rderby=default;template=results;type=allround

Conclusion: Anderson > Zaheer in England.

This is Bell in England vs Laxman in England.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...home_or_away=1;template=results;type=allround

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en..._away=2;host=1;template=results;type=allround

Conclusion: Bell > Laxman in England.

This is Prior in England vs Dhoni away from home. Dhoni's played only 3 innings in England, so I'm taking into account the overall form of his away from home.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...home_or_away=1;template=results;type=allround

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...home_or_away=2;template=results;type=allround

Conclusion: Prior in England > Dhoni away from home and Prior > Dhoni overall.

And the biggest lol among all, here's Swann in England vs Harbhajan in England:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en..._away=2;host=1;template=results;type=allround

Conclusion: Swann >>>> Harbhajan in England and Swann >>> Harbhajan overall.

And finally, its Trott in England vs Dravid in England. Some really good competition there, still Trott prevails.

Conclusion: Trott >= Dravid in England

Last edited:
India Is Just By Name Number 1 Test Team As We Have Seen Yesterday How West Indies Give Them Tough Time. :p And Now The Mighty England Which Are The Ashes Winner Gonna Beat Them Easily I am Pretty Sure.

Didn't England lose test series in WI last time ? :lol:lol:lol

Enjoy making castles in air . This is what English team is good at. When was the last time your sorry team won a test series against India ?:lol

----------

And regarding the rankings, its that period of the year where the rankings are about to be upgraded (during August, I believe) - exactly when this series concludes. So England are just a series victory from going top.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Anderson in England vs Zaheer Khan in England

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Conclusion: Anderson > Zaheer in England.

This is Bell in England vs Laxman in England.

Conclusion: Bell > Laxman in England.

This is Prior in England vs Dhoni away from home. Dhoni's played only 3 innings in England, so I'm taking into account the overall form of his away from home.

Conclusion: Prior in England > Dhoni away from home and Prior > Dhoni overall.

And the biggest lol among all, here's Swann in England vs Harbhajan in England:

Conclusion: Swann >>>> Harbhajan in England and Swann >>> Harbhajan overall.

And finally, its Trott in England vs Dravid in England. Some really good competition there, still Trott prevails.

Conclusion: Trott >= Dravid in England

What a wonderful analysis you have done ? Do you know Zaheer averaged 20 last time in England and Anderson averaged in 30s against India ?

And Swann >>> Harbhajan. :lol:lol

Do you know Harbhajan has thrice the wicket of Swann.?

Do you know India haven't lost a test series since August 2008 ? So this is going to help India .
As i said number ranking is gone SON. Enjoy hyping your mediocre team. This is what you can do about your Sorry team .

Do you know your sorry team lost 3 of their last 4 test series vs India and SA ? And India haven't lost a single test series of the last 4 against England and SA .

----------

Here is the W/L ratio of last 5 years . England are self-proclaimed no.1 team .:lol:lol:clap:clap

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

And Harinathan India and England are playing each other not WI or Pakistan in England.So your analysis is massively wrong. How old are you ? I guess 12 or 13 years old.

Keep dreaming that England will be no.1 team one day.

Last edited:
Do you know Zaheer averaged 20 last time in England and Anderson averaged in 30s against India ?

Do you know Anderson averaged 50+ in Australia prior to this Ashes series?

Do you know Harbhajan has thrice the wicket of Swann.?

Do you know that this series is being played in England?

As i said number ranking is gone SON. Enjoy hyping your mediocre team. This is what you can do about your Sorry team .

Do you know that the annual rankings upgrade by the end of August?

Do you know your sorry team lost 3 of their last 4 test series vs India and SA ? And India haven't lost a single test series of the last 4 against England and SA .

Do you know that India are yet to win away from home against the BIG 4 in the last 3 years? (that's the period when the rankings are effective) . England just thumped Australia 3-1 away from home.

Keep dreaming that England will be no.1 team one day.

Yea, September is the month!

Enough of the tedium. Focus on the actual series, plenty of remotely interesting things to talk about.

Do you know Anderson averaged 50+ in Australia prior to this Ashes series?

Do you know that this series is being played in England?

Do you know that the annual rankings upgrade by the end of August?

Do you know that India are yet to win away from home against the BIG 4 in the last 3 years? (that's the period when the rankings are effective) . England just thumped Australia 3-1 away from home.

Yea, September is the month!

Do you know your no.1 competition is with IND and SA not OZ. Love how you ignore the facts .:lol And England haven't won a series against any of them.

As i said India haven't lost a test series since August 2008. So rankings upgrade will help India.

Btw England is the only team to lose a test series in WI in last 7 years. Number ranking is gone. Enjoy making castles in air.

Stats will tell you how someone has performed but won't necessarily tell you how someone WILL perform.

Stats will tell you how someone has performed but won't necessarily tell you how someone WILL perform.

Tell this to Flintoff who yesterday tweeted that Eng have nothing to be worried after India's B performance in WI despite the fact that they lost in WI last time.. Love these chest-thumping Brit. Making castles in air is a part of their culture

What's all this "castles in the air" stuff about?
Of course English players and fans are going to be backing the team to win at home. I'd be delighted if the Indian players and coaching staff were taking the task as lightly as some of the fans here seem to be but unfortunately they're a bit more aware than that.

Only reference I could find was some novel. Not a saying I've ever heard of.

Cricketlover qualifies his point that Tendulkar is a better batsman than Pietersen by quoting the ICC batsman rankings and yet denies the opinion that Swann is a great bowler despite his being 2nd in the ICC bowler rankings. Double standards?

Users who are viewing this thread