England tour of South Africa 09/10

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'll still say they got really good deliveries. If they had given their wicket away, I would be pissed, but they didn't. They made England earn it, even if it didn't take too long, but still. Duminy is the future along with AB. Surely we can't drop him, because of a bad patch.

If the side was winning I agree but the side isn't. Its fine to stick with guys if you are still getting results but if results aren't coming you need to look at other options to win the game.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
All of a sudden the partnership is on 73. Good little comeback after the double strike from Swann, which didn't seem all that long ago.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Come on Kallis. You have 10,000+ runs, and you're falling into their trap?

That's more like it. More controlled and nice placement.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
This is a nice partnership and full credit to Boucher for playing so solidly. Kallis needs 28 more for a ton, but it's not exactly risk-free batting. Good to watch though.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
These two can't think there job is anywhere near done. Another wicket now and SA are still in trouble.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
First and foremost, we have to get to stumps, with at least one of these batsman still there, preferably Kallis. Having both would be the ideal situation, and that would probably be the aim set by Smith and Mickey Arthur.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Good work from Boucher - it wasn't easy coming in to bat when he did.

CaptainOZ added 5 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

And now he's out

Sureshot

Executive member
This is easily a 400 pitch, 250/260 is great for us. Steyn promotion is interesting. He can bat for sure, and I know Morkel has struggled with spin, but Harris?

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
It seems like a pitch, where you are never quite fully settled.

Fatal Shot added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Kallis should just try and get all his runs today. He's horrible after staying not out over night. Almost never adds anything.

Sureshot

Executive member
It's a very good pitch, they shouldn't have ever been 130-5 in the first place. I can see this being a high scoring draw.

Sureshot

Executive member
It's a very good pitch, they shouldn't have ever been 130-5 in the first place. I can see this being a high scoring draw.

stefan

International Coach
Newlands almost always produces a result. There has always been something for the bowlers. Even though JK and Bouch played very well they still played and missed the odd ball. Steyn has batted pretty well, reminded me of his innings at melbourne.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain

Not so sure about that....Newlands averages around 30 runs per wicket, which pretty much means that you usually get a result. 130/5 was quite bad but thats more to do with the overhead conditions, a bit unfortunate really because the rest of the test will have bright sunshine so I think if the sun baked down this morning there wouldnt have been any 130/5.

I think if SA can get up to 350-375, which I think is very gettable if we get through the initial 10 or so over tomorrow, then it will be good. Variable bounce will probably play a role and the pitch is much more dry than usual - we've had a disgustingly hot summer so far. Only problem is, Harris couldnt turn a ball even if it was triangular so not sure how much the deterioration will benefit us in the end. From what Ive seen today this doesnt look like the typical Newlands pitch, but then again the clouds around can make even a good pitch do funny tricks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread