English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's not the rotation that's the problem, it's the players he has at his disposal. The majority aren't right for his system. But then reverting back to the old system means trying something that's clearly broken.

I do get where you're coming from but unfortunately for now, AVB has to stick with what he has. And as I said before, he's not playing the same starting XI for 3-4 consecutive games. He may not have the right players but at least play them for a few games straight to let form that cohesion. Furthermore, he's constant changes on the back four is not really helping either.

Regarding Mikel, AVB should perhaps play Romeu instead. Surely, he can't do any worse than what Mikel is doing right now.

----------

I think that post says it all KBC.

Drogba is just too old now, or at least seems like it. Has never looked the same since recovering from Malaria. He used to destroy people like Carragher to the point it was actually embarrassing at times, now he just doesn't seem effective.

Then there's Anelka, who if people are honest is never gonna be a title winning striker again, just not clinical enough. Kalou? Really? If anything, I'd say he's actually worse now than when he joined Chelsea! Obi Mikel still has a couple of years to develop into the defensive midfielder role, but another who hasn't developed quite like people expected.

Then there's Ramires and Meireles, both good players but if you want to be a top club they are squad players at best. Would any other top club in Europe go out of their way to buy them?

Of course, then there's Lampard and Terry, who have both seen better days, and are no longer at a level where they can form the core components of a title winning side.

Personally, I think Chelsea are in an interesting predicament, because they can't trump people for wages anymore, they aren't defending any titles, their stadium isn't the biggest and their assets are actually bordering on hindrances in terms of having people like Lamps or Terry who can't be moved on for big money to help fund further investment. Even Cole has been playing with a buggered knee for a couple of years and is pretty much worth nothing anymore.

Essien is quite rightly key, and it says it all that whenever he's been injured (which has been too often) they often fall away or get knocked out.

Fair to say that Ancelotti has squeezed every ounce of top form left in the old guards in the Double winning season.

Obi Mikel still has a couple of years to develop into the defensive midfielder role, but another who hasn't developed quite like people expected.

Still has a couple of years to develop? He hasn't really develop much since he's being here and I really don't see what he provides to the team.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Oh I fully agree actually. I just mean that in those positions, to be fair to the lad, it's not normally until 25+ that you start to see the best of them as so much of the position is down to experience as opposed to physical superiority. He has however definitely stagnated, and too often switches off for a player who's been at a top club for so long. Another, who currently, basically isn't good enough (edit - Also didn't realise he was already 24! Thought he was a bit younger than Lucas, a player who has really grown into his by 25 and looks set to be a world class holding midfielder for the second half of his career)

Yeah Carlo did an excellent job that year, as I said though, when Drogs was on fire, he was unstoppable by pretty much the entire set of Prem defences. It wasn't so much just a goal threat, but someone that normally required two defenders to deal with him and in turn created space for others. No surprise either that Drogba got 29 in 32 the year Chelsea did the double ;)

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So AVB out, Hiddink in?

No not yet, and definitely don't let Hiddink have a backroom role in the club while AVB is still the manager. If you lose 2 games atm you are under pressure, those 2 games against Arsenal and Liverpool too. It was clear to most people that Chelsea would be going for 3rd this season behind Man City and Man United. Stick with the man!

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Don't think Abra brought him back in a high profile move for quick success, he certainly has plans for growing the team into a more balanced and future-safe side, Fact that they have guys like Romeu and Lukaku suggests that. Mata has a long term stay. Buy that, they have Yossi (maybe), Aanholt, Courtois, Kakuta all growing fast at their loaned clubs. Then, Half of AVB's plans didn't go right in the transfers, they packed enough hatred buying high profile players last year, and it didn't seem to get down well in the summer too.

AVB has time to get things going, of course the start was shaky but his tactics are still in the mix. Saw that happening against Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. Played beautiful game until they fall apart at the wrong time and when they're back it's too late. It's not bad, they can get back on track, but they definitely need a change to spice up their midfield. No club plays as good as Chelsea at the wings, at times.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Chelsea are actually very strong if they're gaps are filled adequately and if their players play at their top form.

Chelsea need one new right-back, Bosingwa is not so good enough. And also they need to cover up for Lampard, but they already have a very talented player in Kakuta.

----------

And Abra can never be trusted properly. Lukaku was always on his shortlist, and I think it is the same with Romeu.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Good point but they can't keep waiting any longer for Torres to fire. They have enough forwards already, the age is a secondary question and i doubt they'd make a move for a striker in January. If they do, someone is clearly going out. They need to spice up their midfield, and AVB indicated he's not moving for Modric again. Rumor has it that he's aiming for Newcastle's Tiote. Seems like a good move.

I'm starting to wonder what Man city's scouting system is like..... Steal other clubs' shortlists? is that it? xD

Man City are playing Fifa 12 in real life when it comes to transfers. ;)

----------

Don't think Abra brought him back in a high profile move for quick success, he certainly has plans for growing the team into a more balanced and future-safe side, Fact that they have guys like Romeu and Lukaku suggests that. Mata has a long term stay. Buy that, they have Yossi (maybe), Aanholt, Courtois, Kakuta all growing fast at their loaned clubs. Then, Half of AVB's plans didn't go right in the transfers, they packed enough hatred buying high profile players last year, and it didn't seem to get down well in the summer too.

AVB has time to get things going, of course the start was shaky but his tactics are still in the mix. Saw that happening against Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. Played beautiful game until they fall apart at the wrong time and when they're back it's too late. It's not bad, they can get back on track, but they definitely need a change to spice up their midfield. No club plays as good as Chelsea at the wings, at times.

That's a great sig. ;)

JBlues08

Club Captain
Chelsea are actually very strong if they're gaps are filled adequately and if their players play at their top form.

Chelsea need one new right-back, Bosingwa is not so good enough. And also they need to cover up for Lampard, but they already have a very talented player in Kakuta.

----------

And Abra can never be trusted properly. Lukaku was always on his shortlist, and I think it is the same with Romeu.

At the moment, I would say we need a RB, CM, RW and possibly ST as well. Having 3 senior strikers who have been out of form for an entire year is just totally rubbish!

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
At the moment, I would say we need a RB, CM, RW and possibly ST as well. Having 3 senior strikers who have been out of form for an entire year is just totally rubbish!

New striker lol? What's the point? Torres is one of the most important players at the club in terms of the system Chelsea are trying to achieve.

Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, Ivanovic, Terry and Lampard all aren't suited to the system. Kalou, Mikel, Luiz and Bosingwa aren't good enough and worryingly Cole and Cech are no longer the reliable players they once were. It's a dire situation at the moment.

JBlues08

Club Captain
New striker lol? What's the point? Torres is one of the most important players at the club in terms of the system Chelsea are trying to achieve.

Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, Ivanovic, Terry and Lampard all aren't suited to the system. Kalou, Mikel, Luiz and Bosingwa aren't good enough and worryingly Cole and Cech are no longer the reliable players they once were. It's a dire situation at the moment.

Take out the old guards and you only have Torres as the sole senior striker. Lukaku is still young and AVB has said he sees Sturridge's main position as a wide forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread