Flintoff announces retirement

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It was bound to happen and today is the day. You can read it in this article.

Flintoff announces retirement
Cricinfo staff
September 16, 2010

Andrew Flintoff will announce his retirement from all cricket later on Thursday after giving in to his long-standing knee injuries.

Flintoff retired from Test cricket after last year's Ashes victory and underwent knee surgery straight away. He hoped to return to action this season, but that was ruled out last month and he then aimed for Twenty20 stints in Australia and the IPL. However, his latest meeting with the surgeon has led to what has long seemed the inevitable decision.

Flintoff to announce retirement | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

My favourite Flintoff moment
Andrew Miller and Nagraj Gollapudi
August 26, 2009
My favourite Flintoff moment | Cricket Features | England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

The Flintoff story in numbers
S Rajesh
August 25, 2009
The Flintoff story in numbers | England Cricket Features | Cricinfo.com

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
Flintoff sucked anyway. So over-rated.

He did perform well in a few big games - like the Ashes and ODIs with the ball though.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Sad end to a brilliant career. He was one the most enjoyable blokes to watch bowl and bat in the last decade. He had capacity of being the greatest all rounder but injuries kept him from getting there. Good luck to him in whatever he does :clap

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah that Irottev was pretty shite.

:p

Was always going to happen. He'd never get back after so many set backs. Great career for England though.

Symptom_Control

School Cricketer
bloody shame, a great sport. I dont feel he was overrated, but he would have had to keep producing more of his best form to be ranked as an all time great. Sad that he didn't get the formula right earlier in his career really, once he did his body wasn't up to it was it?

As an Aussie I'm glad they didnt but I wonder how good England might have been if they had managed to keep the Flintoff/Jones/Harmison combo on the park in the kind of form they showed in 2005...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
There were 40 odd Test matches there where he was an incredibly high value player, a legitimate attacking batsman and an uncomfortably tall 90mph bowler, not to mention a safe pair of hands at second slip. Such a player has to be a consummate athlete and so it's hard to keep it up if the flesh isn't willing. Nevertheless, I'd argue he was among the ten best all-rounders to have played the game, or at least quite close to it.

P

pcfan123

Meh, Flintoff has more of a romantic ring to it than anything else. The big bloke who helped England win the Ashes (twice).

He was no way near being a great player and would not be anywhere close to the all time England XI. An average of 32 with a SR of 66 is pretty shitt. And only 11 4fers and 3 5fers in 137 innings bowled!

Still sad to see him go, can't believe he won't play domestic 2020 either.

themuel1

International Coach
Meh, Flintoff has more of a romantic ring to it than anything else. The big bloke who helped England win the Ashes (twice).

He was no way near being a great player and would not be anywhere close to the all time England XI. An average of 32 with a SR of 66 is pretty shitt. And only 11 4fers and 3 5fers in 137 innings bowled!

Still sad to see him go, can't believe he won't play domestic 2020 either.

Flintoff on the top of his form (and that is what an all time team is based on for me) was as good as ANYONE. A match winner. An inspiration to his team mates. He didn't ever seem to get the reward for good bowling - the person bowling at the other end always seemed to benefit.

All time great England XI is very difficult, because you can't really compare eras. Like in football, the standard of the game has improved continually through time thanks to playing more, training methods etc

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
As much as I hated losing the ashes, those were the best ways to lose it. Getting smashed by Freddie.

Users who are viewing this thread