Game Engine Worthy to Learn

Hitterman

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I know that many questions are already asked regarding game engines but I need some help for my personal project. Though I am doing a 3D Animation course right now but I'm also interested in learning few good engines. I've programmed before in TrueVision3D 6.3 (I have a licensed version) but it's very time consuming (You have to write code for each and everything). I bought it because it supports multiple languages, incl. vB.net but still it's not very flexible. The physics are not very realistic.

I was thinking of to start with a good new engine which is worth learning. At this moment, I can go only with C++ (or similar like Lite-C) or VB.net. I have found good engines that has attracted me and they are Unity3D and GameCore3D (previously popular as "Beyond Virtual").

Currently, I have the Indie license of both and I am playing with these two from last 3 days. I've found that Unity3D has better deployment options rather than GameCore but GameCore has a bit easier coding. Unity3D uses nvidia Physx for collision and other physics.

Can someone please suggest me that from these two with which I should go? I won't mind a game engine that requires more learning because I'm ready to learn. Even game engine with OpenGL render only will also work for me because I don't have to make any high graphic game (since my PC has very low spec and development of high gfx game is impossible for me). I don't have deep knowledge hence I'll like the beginner/novice stuff.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hitterman

International Coach
^ It's good when you want to modify the engine to make it the one you want but I don't want to go that high. An open source engine though is always useful :).

Hitterman

International Coach
what do you mean by this ? is it bad if you don't modify the engine ?
lol at question:p. It's not bad but it will need more work which isn't possible for me. You can built a game from an engine but if you want to modify any feature in the engine, you need source code of the engine. This is what big studios do. You don't need an open source engine or source code of an engine to develop a game from that engine I suppose.

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
lol at question:p. It's not bad but it will need more work which isn't possible for me. You can built a game from an engine but if you want to modify any feature in the engine, you need source code of the engine. This is what big studios do. You don't need an open source engine or source code of an engine to develop a game from that engine I suppose.

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

what more work it will require???

Hitterman

International Coach
what more work it will require???
I ask you, what's the need of modifying the engine when its already providing you everything you need to make a video game out of it?

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
I ask you, what's the need of modifying the engine when its already providing you everything you need to make a video game out of it?

when did the f*** i said you will have to modify the engine???????????

Hitterman

International Coach
when did the f*** i said you will have to modify the engine???????????
Then what the hell you asked?

Hitterman added 5 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Seriously, I don't want to take this conversation. I just need help form someone who can guide me to the right game engine from which I can start as a beginner.

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
:facepalm:facepalm

it is basically useless to help you
you never want to understand something

ok
an open-source engine HAS the advantage of being able to modify the engine BUT you can use it as a normal proprietary engine "its already providing you everything you need to make a video game out of it"

Hitterman

International Coach
an open-source engine HAS the advantage of being able to modify the engine BUT you can use it as a normal proprietary engine "its already providing you everything you need to make a video game out of it"
:facepalm:doh
You never understand my question correctly and you answer before reading my question. I said I don't need to make highly developed video games or a company's personal game engine. I just want to make a simple project using the resources available inside the game engine.

It's useless to reply to you because you don't talk to the point. You just take out a different conversation.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Calm down you two.

From what I can gather, the entry level games design subjects at my uni are based on using XNA. I've no experience with it, but it certainly seems geared to what you want, in being something to learn on.

Though more broadly, I've been told your best bet is to make sure you have solid C/C++ skills. Once you have the base in writing the code, you can adapt it easily to other engines, and there's certainly no point tying yourself to any one engine, especially if you plan to ever work in the industry.

Hitterman

International Coach
From what I can gather, the entry level games design subjects at my uni are based on using XNA. I've no experience with it, but it certainly seems geared to what you want, in being something to learn on.

Though more broadly, I've been told your best bet is to make sure you have solid C/C++ skills. Once you have the base in writing the code, you can adapt it easily to other engines, and there's certainly no point tying yourself to any one engine, especially if you plan to ever work in the industry.
First of all thanks a lot for a decent reply. I don't have high knowledge of C++ bit I have medium knowledge of C++ (that I have learned through a camp course). I still remember when I coded few pieces of lines with das_vicky and vinny when we were coding modules for 22 Yards but other than this, I haven't tried. I am still learning C++ and I hope i'll be perfect in it. You know, the C++ education in schools is just weird.

Thank you Matt for a genuine reply!

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
You are doing this all wrong. You are supposed to learn programming before developing games. C++ is a vast and complicated language. Its easy to code your way into trouble if you aren't really good at it.

Try learning C#, many engines support it, it is easier than C++, and you aren't going to crash and burn even if you don't know it well enough. There may be a small performance penalty compared to C++ but it is good enough for hobbyist game developers.

Hitterman

International Coach
I agree with you and I'm learning C++ from past 2 years and still learning. I'll take a look at learning C#. :)

BTW, Here is my first FPS project which I am working on for learning purposes. All the code in this game will be Javascript since it's a bit easy. It'll be a simple FPS game without any advance features due to my programming limitations but still this will help me in improving my skills.

Here is an ingame screenie. Sorry for a bit weird lighting effect since I'm not good in lightmapping:p

craveproject2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread