Ganguly Suspended for 2 Tests

brad352

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ganguly suspended for two Tests

Ganguly suspended for two Tests

Wisden Cricinfo staff
November 14, 2004

Sourav Ganguly, India's captain, has been suspended for two Test matches because of India's slow over-rates during the BCCI Platinum Jubilee one-dayer against Pakistan. According to the Press Trust of India, Clive Lloyd, the match referee, made this announcement in a Kolkata hotel a day after the game.

Ganguly, who had missed the last two Tests against Australia because of injury, will, thus, miss both of India's Tests against South Africa. Rahul Dravid will captain the team in his place.

Ganguly had breached clause C1 of ICC's code of conduct, which is a level two offence, and would not ordinarily carry a suspension. But because this was his second such offence within a span of 12 months, it was automatically treated as a level three offence, and the suspension followed.

No other current Test captain encourages slow over-rates the way Ganguly does, with frequent consultations with bowlers. He would feel a little hard done by this time, though, as there were plenty of interruptions during the game, and as many as eight ball-changes. Lloyd, though, disagreed.

"The ICC code relating to over rates needs to be strictly observed," he said, "and it is important for all the stakeholders in the game to have matches finished on time. The allotted three-and-a-half hours is ample time to bowl the required 50 overs, so captains need to ensure that all efforts are made to achieve this."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Clive Lloyd suspended Ganguly for slow over-rates during the Indo-Pak clash yesterday. He was suspended because it was his second offence in a year or something. Anyhow, he misses the South Africa series but this means that India's selection dilemma has been further postponed. Luckily. This means that Kaif and Gambhir can both play.

Last edited by a moderator:

gold639

International Coach
that must be terrible news for Indian fans......but good news for Ganguly haters.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Hehehe I never knew there was a news thread. :D. Anyway, as I said this will allow the Indian team to settle without having to chop and change batsmen around.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Ganguly was getting back to form. He was batting fairly comfortably towards the end of his innings at the Kolkata ODI. Although he was a bit scratchy early on, he showed that he was finding his timing with some huge sixes. Pity he got out for 48 trying to pull another six.

gold639

International Coach
*again,gives Jarryd a special flame shield(unbreakable)*

brad352

Executive member
No one has a basis for flaming him, he's absolutely right

gold639

International Coach
Just you wait for guys like sachinisgod,rahulk666,theman,and sohumishra to read it,then you will see Jarryd using the flame shield I gave him ;)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
and sohumishra

Ha ha ha. I resent that. First of all my name is spelled Sohum Misra. Secondly, I never flame--I just intellectually bring down stupid arguments. And thirdly, I am not a big fan of Ganguly. Although I do not think he could necessarily be blamed for India's failures. It's either the batsmen, bowlers or fielding letting them down everytime.

Ganguly's attitude towards over-rates is evident in a statement he made a few months ago when he said that he believed overs should be cut for slow overs. They are being fined/suspended, which is a much softer sentence for an Indian cricketer. It seems that since Ganguly found out about that rule, he has been less careful in getting the overs done.

And don't forget the 23 wides (including byes) and 2 no balls India bowled. And the wet ball. He, he. Anyway as I have said before, it is best for the Indian team because they do not need to worry about the composition till the Bangla tour, and by that time someone will probably be injured anyway.

brad352

Executive member
Indian board appeals against Ganguly ban
Wisden Cricinfo staff
November 16, 2004

The Indian board (BCCI) has confirmed that it will appeal to the International Cricket Council against the two-Test ban handed down to Sourav Ganguly on Sunday.

Ganguly was suspended because of India's slow over-rates during the Saturday's one-day international against Pakistan. If the punishment is upheld, he will miss both Tests against South Africa.

"We are going to appeal to the ICC against the decision", Ranbir Singh Mahendra, the BCCI's president told reporters, adding: "We feel the decision is too harsh."

The ICC said that it would name the members of the commission which will hear the case within the next 24 hours, and that they would then have seven days to hear and determine the appeal. The statement added: "Should this appeal not be finalised before the start of the India's first Test against South Africa on November 20 2004, Ganguly would be able to compete in the match."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Users who are viewing this thread