Google Chrome OS

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Google's blog announces a natural extension of the Chrome project: an operating system for netbooks. "Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. (...) Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.

google-chrome-first-page.png

Microsoft vs Google to heat up again. :D

But frankly who the hell will use it as users hardly use Chrome. 6.3% of online users use Chrome.

chrometc.jpg

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Saw this on the news yesterday. This is going to be a huge pile of fail, in my opinion. Chrome is an annoying browser to work with sometimes, and far too lightweight to be of any longterm use.

Chrome OS is going to be competing with Linux flavors, basically. Mac users will continue to use OS X and business and most personal consumers will use a serious OS--Windows 7. This leaves Chrome for the guys who want to play around or just be rebellious. The fact that they are targeting it to x86 and ARM shows that they aren't doing it seriously because the future is x64. It takes years to build a decent operating system.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah basically of no use until we push for much faster internet, atleast in the subcontinent here. I can't run any web applications with a 384 Kbps internet ffs.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Add to the fact that it will cost less only because
A) its on Linux platform
B) it will be supporting ads which is probably the source of revenue for Google

I dont use netbook and even if I used it I wont want it to be a billboard.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.
Hey if that means Google are funding an X.org replacement, more power to them. X is really holding Desktop Linux back, you can only hack so much compositing in to a 40 year old architecture before you need a rewrite.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Found a couple of virtual machine builds for Chrome. Tried both the VMWare and VirtualBox machines but couldn't log in with any username other than "[email protected]" with no password (I suspect that's a dev test).

I'll give it a spin on my home machine once I get home. Maybe even consider downloading source and building my own image.

Users who are viewing this thread