Graeme Swann retires

@barmy

Not his comments about being done by Australia, although surprisingly close. :D

Reading from some members of the media that Swann thinks that certain (now former) team mates have their heads up their own backsides. Just shows that not all is right in the team spirit sort of way still.

Well Swann and Anderson loath KP so I guess that might help team harmony.
@War - it's one of those occasions where popular perception (due to ICC incompetence or otherwise) is actually more important than whatever the facts may be.

According to The Telegraph it is "quite well known that Graeme Swann and Kevin Pietersen do not send each other Christmas cards".

That is not a surprise.

I just think this tour is the end of an era. With Swann gone, Trott unlikely to come back, Prior probably being pushed out too. But then, that's not a bad thing, judging by the way the series is going.

Prior is actually a really important figure in the team. It would be bad news if his form continues as it is and England are forced to drop him.

I wonder if Swann meant "player" but said "players" to keep people thinking it wasn't (just) KP.

On form, sure. The way he's been the last couple of series? Not so much. He looks done. A fresh start won't be the end of the world.

I think Prior still has something to give. But it's Jimmy Anderson I'm concerned about. He is looking more and more weary with every over he bowls, and now his best mate is gone.

I'm not talking about form. I'm talking about cohesion and team spirit. Prior was the bridge between the Anderson/Cook/Swann/Broad axis and KP and the everyone else.

Well Swann and Anderson loath KP so I guess that might help team harmony.
@War - it's one of those occasions where popular perception (due to ICC incompetence or otherwise) is actually more important than whatever the facts may be.

Surely we don't want be giving teams the major accolade of # 1 test team & then having big ceremony, with the ICC CEO presenting teams with a mace of this achievement - based on nothing other than the facts of their performance?

I think Prior still has something to give. But it's Jimmy Anderson I'm concerned about. He is looking more and more weary with every over he bowls, and now his best mate is gone.

Agree with you on Anderson. I do think he's got a lot more to give though. India next summer on greentops should have him salivating.

----------

Surely we don't want be giving teams the major accolade of # 1 test team & then having big ceremony, with the ICC CEO presenting teams with a mace of this achievement - based on nothing other than the facts of their performance?

The boat sailed. It really doesn't matter whether they were or not.

I just find it hard to believe that the only reason England have been able to carry on for the last year or so is because Prior is spreading his time about being friends with everyone. There's obviously an issue around certain players, but they're professionals, keeping on going is what they do for a living. It's naive to think that all 11 guys are going to like each other and want to hang out together, it just very rarely happens. And like I said, this is now an opportunity for Cook as captain to bring in a few new faces and bring a different approach to the team. The likes of KP and Anderson are going to go eventually, now is the time to bring in a few more guys to carry us on to the next 5 years or so.

And I don't mean really young players. There are guys in their mid-20s and slightly older who could do a very good job given the chance.

Well clearly it's not the only reason but it makes a difference behind the scenes and on the pitch.
As for how professional they all are, I'm really not convinced.

Details are sketchy at the moment but it seems England spinner Graeme Swann has retired from cricket with immediate effect. We don't know if this is from internationals or all cricket.

I'm in shock.

I was gobsmacked when I saw this. Wasn't it just a short time ago that he was hailed as the best offspinner in the world?

Users who are viewing this thread