Graeme Swann retires

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Details are sketchy at the moment but it seems England spinner Graeme Swann has retired from cricket with immediate effect. We don't know if this is from internationals or all cricket.

I'm in shock.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, gotta think there's something more to this. Such a strange time to make a decision like this. I can only guess that we don't know all the details. Perhaps his injuries are catching up with him. Been great for us the last few years though.

End of the series would have been more understandable, but I guess doing it now gives Monty time to get some games in.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
looked a man whose powers were declining for a while, although he was carrying an injury for quite a while. Bit of a surprised but not that shocking.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
looked a man whose powers were declining for a while, although he was carrying an injury for quite a while. Bit of a surprised but not that shocking.

Yes but halfway through a tour with no chance to say goodbye?

A press conference will be held at 00:30.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I thought it was a little strange that Monty went and not someone younger with his issues, so I suppose things have been going on behind the scenes and they knew there was a good chance Swann wouldn't be the sole spinner for every match.

I guess he probably wouldn't have been picked for the fourth test, and monty is in ahead of him. Maybe Swann has jumped now so it avoids a lot of questioning of selection, takes a little pressure off Monty for the last two matches.

D

Deleted member 11215

Quite an exciting time to be an England fan, plenty of new players need to be brought through

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Didn't see this coming. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Swann bowl over the past few years. Hopefully Tredwell will be given a chance in the team now that Swann is gone.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
I hope we get more out of the press conference, but how I see it:

- He knew he was going to be dropped for the 4th test
- Rather than fighting back for his spot, he had a whine and decided to retre

I'm very disappointed I this.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I was expecting him to retire but definitely not mid series. Shows you how one bad series can affect you individually and also the whole team. Who's the back-up spinners in county cricket? I mean I know Panesar is in Australia but who will be the second spinner for England in their next test series? James Tredwell or Simon Kerrigan

Last edited:

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Details are sketchy at the moment but it seems England spinner Graeme Swann has retired from cricket with immediate effect. We don't know if this is from internationals or all cricket.

I'm in shock.

The cricinfo article categorically states "all international cricket and first-class cricket." So he's just done with the sport at the highest levels.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It says he hasn't ruled out the IPL though.

----------

A press conference will be held at 00:30.

It's 00:55 did I miss it?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It seems he decided to retire after this series, so going now does make sense. It's not like he's walking out with the series still alive, just giving the chance for Panesar to get a couple of games in before the summer. He's going to be hard to replace though. Monty is good, but in his 30s himself. There seems to be a massive gap after them, back to the younger inexperienced guys like Kerrigan, Borthwick etc.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
He could have fought back for one last time and proved all his critics before retiring. Also, probably this is first time a player is retiring** at midst* of a tournament being totally fit (correct me if I am wrong).

*-The games for the team he plays for still exist.
**-Without being dropped in further matches.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Exactly three days passed by since I posted this, and this happens....

Swann still has a number of years in him imo, so I reckon he's here to stay, especially considering England's second choice spinner is a distant distant second to Swann that it's scary.

Monumental loss for England, who will miss his aggressive spin bowling, quality slip fielding, banters, and useful late runs with the bat. Personally just shell shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread