Graphite bat Gone

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
andrew_nixon said:
I don't buy the protection thing one bit. Protection from what?

It's got nothing to do with protection from stuff in your bag, i don't knwo where he gets that from. It simply adds strength to the spine of the bat, which if you've ever copped one just below the handle it can send a split right up the middle....it's like decreasing the sweet spot for a break.

Whilst word is that it does absolutely nothing to aid the batsmen.... the stats do not lie. Pontings had an incredible couple of seasons with that bat, we've seen the emergence of Hussey with the beast, and a marked improvement in batting from one brett lee also with the beast - all of whom have been hitting some incredibly big sixes of late. Being an aussie i'll take their word for it, but it is fairly cooincidental.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
valvolux said:
, which if you've ever copped one just below the handle it can send a split right up the middle....it's like decreasing the sweet spot for a break.

Meh, I wouldn't know, I tend to use the middle. :D

dtrain

Club Cricketer
valvolux said:
Whilst word is that it does absolutely nothing to aid the batsmen.... the stats do not lie. Pontings had an incredible couple of seasons with that bat, we've seen the emergence of Hussey with the beast, and a marked improvement in batting from one brett lee also with the beast - all of whom have been hitting some incredibly big sixes of late. Being an aussie i'll take their word for it, but it is fairly cooincidental.

HA! Those players have always hit the ball a long way. All the power of the bat is in the bat, and you can feel it when you pick it up too. It ways a ton.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
The bat is being withdrawn from all forms of First Class cricket as of October 2006. Kookaburra are also stopping production of the bats.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
whats having a picture got to do with preformance and what is the big deal i dont get it so what if theyv got pics on em pontings bats normal so is langers i dont get this whole fiassco

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The problem isn't the picture, it's the graphite. The laws of the game state that the blade of the bat has to be made completely of wood. Stickers are allowed. The ambiguity is that they don't say what the stickers can be made of, which is the problem.

britishchampion

2nd XI Cricketer<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
on a general note i belive that there is a limit to the maximum sponsor area and effectivly it is showing a resemblance to the company makeing them unique... therefore sponsorship.

Back of bat - one manufacturer's logo only to display the manufacturer's name or logo, not to exceed 7.5 square inches. A logo displaying the model name is not permitted.

House colours to be used to a maximum of 50% of the whole area of the back of the bat, inclusive of the one permitted logo - no model name permitted.
Statutory wording (when required) to be placed on the back of the bat - discreet design only subject to relevant statutory provisions.

It basically says nearly all current bats are forbiden if you look right into the rules. Click HERE to see them all.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
Well I think that every bat roughly sticks into those rules but it is interesting.

britishchampion

2nd XI Cricketer<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
If you look even closer you are not allowed any non-cricket clothing brand as a sponsor so that would include Flintoff's woodworm for one as it has a barclays bank sponsor on it. Also Dhoni's bat as it has the lightening sticker things on the side. Most bats don't meet the rules.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
britishchampion said:
If you look even closer you are not allowed any non-cricket clothing brand as a sponsor so that would include Flintoff's woodworm for one as it has a barclays bank sponsor on it. Also Dhoni's bat as it has the lightening sticker things on the side. Most bats don't meet the rules.
Players are allowed those sponsorship deals under the international playing conditions.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
ok what is the deal with what the sticker is made of it dont increase preformance

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I agree that the graphite doesn't in any way increase performance, but the fact is that the law states that the bat can not be made of anything other than wood.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The Graphite holds the spin together tighter, which means it is harder to break and harder in general. Seems like a very small increase in bat performance though...

Users who are viewing this thread