Greatest Test XI

feverpitch

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am compiling a Greatest Test XI (based on all those who made their debuts since the start of 1908, so from the last hundred years) and have put together a 56-man shortlist, after much debate. It is:

Opening batsmen (7):
Jack Hobbs, Herbert Sutcliffe, Sunil Gavaskar, Geoff Boycott, Len Hutton, Arthur Morris, Gordon Greenidge

Middle-order batsmen (20):
Everton Weekes, George Headley, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Gary Sobers, Frank Worrell, Clyde Walcott, Javed Miandad, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Don Bradman, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Greg Chappell, Neil Harvey, Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, Denis Compton, Ricky Ponting, Graeme Pollock

Wicket-keepers (4):
Alan Knott, Andy Flower, Adam Gilchrist, Les Ames

Allrounders (4):
Imran Khan, Keith Miller, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev
For the purposes of this exercise, 'allrounder' is someone who can bat at seven or above and be one of only four bowlers, which is why Benaud, Sobers, Hadlee and Akram just miss out and appear elsewhere instead.

Spinners (6):
Shane Warne, Bill O?Reilly, Muttiah Muralitharan, Richie Benaud, Derek Underwood, Jim Laker

Fast bowlers (15):
Dennis Lillee, Ray Lindwall, Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, Glenn McGrath, Fred Trueman, Harold Larwood, Joel Garner, Alan Davidson, Richard Hadlee, Michael Holding

Thoughts would be much appreciated - I need to trim this down to around 35, and then I will come up with my final selection.

The full details can be found at http://third-umpire.blogspot.com/search/label/Greatest%20Test%20XI

Many thanks - be great to hear your views!

feverpitch

School Cricketer
Competition was exceptionally fierce, but all those did figure strongly in thoughts. Inzi's and Yousuf's relatively meagre record against Australia in Tests counting against them, while they were also handicapped by their runs being easier to score than in previous generations.

Although it is to some extent a personal list I posted my original list two weeks ago and adjusted it when considering the causes of certain names; however, few championed those players you mentioned, though they were all excellent players. Abdul Qadir was in the original list but, after much consideration and analysis was excluded on the basis of his average of over 45 away from home.

Keep the thoughts coming guys, and, if you're interested, do look at the site where there's a much more detailed explanation of how the whole thing is working.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Competition was exceptionally fierce, but all those did figure strongly in thoughts. Inzi's and Yousuf's relatively meagre record against Australia in Tests counting against them, while they were also handicapped by their runs being easier to score than in previous generations.

Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar?

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
right, Hayden deserves a spot and even Desmond Haynes.

from the fast-bowlers list, you're missing Andy Roberts and Jeff Thompson.

You can also add Ian Healy for W/K list.

kookaburra69

International Coach
Anwar was more of a One Day player and this is a test XI,So yeah Hayden is better in this case.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Nothing shocking about that?

I also assumed that Sobers was a world-class bowler? I saw a video of how much he swung the ball. Wow.
if you judge selections on swing then the under 19 star anwar ali should be there

saeed anwar had a very long career and hayden has only just secured his spot 5 years ago

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Anwar had a very long career? How can you justify that? Hayden's almost played double the amount of First-Class & Test Matches then Anwar.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Anyway Anwar played 55 tests at 45. hayden has played 89 test at 53 and is still going. Hayden has also got a better one day average, has scored 380 and is just well...better?

Users who are viewing this thread