Greatest Test XI

feverpitch

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have picked the first two names; Sutcliffe and Hutton are my openers.

Any thoughts?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Good players around the frame.
I had Jack Hobbs and Len Hutton but thats what I think.
I bet Matthew Hayden will get suggested.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
No complains about those.
Hammond, a good sliper and bowl useful medium pace as well as average 58 with the bat.

gary0808

Club Cricketer
L.Hutton
J.Hobbs
D.Bradman
V.Richards
P.May
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist
I.Khan
C.Ambrose
M.Muralitharan
G.McGrath

12th and 13th Men-Malcolm Marshall and Brian Lara

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yousuf should be there he break 30 year record as no bdy even beated that record not even lara sachin rahul ponting hayden. etc
The reason for that seems to be a lot to do with batting conditions. If you look through Pakistan's 2006 season, you see a lot of draws and a lot of matches where many batsmen scored a lot of runs. Mohammad Yousuf's scores were often eclipsed by other batsmen. Only three of his centuries were scored in any of Pakistan's four wins for 2006; the two wins against the West Indies.

It was remarkable consistency, but what good is that if you can't win as a result?

feverpitch

School Cricketer
Cheers RoboRocks - it gives me six good bowling options to exploit all kinds of conditions.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I am compiling a Greatest Test XI (based on all those who made their debuts since the start of 1908, so from the last hundred years) and have put together a 56-man shortlist, after much debate. It is:

Opening batsmen (7):
Jack Hobbs, Herbert Sutcliffe, Sunil Gavaskar, Geoff Boycott, Len Hutton, Arthur Morris, Gordon Greenidge

Middle-order batsmen (20):
Everton Weekes, George Headley, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Gary Sobers, Frank Worrell, Clyde Walcott, Javed Miandad, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Don Bradman, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Greg Chappell, Neil Harvey, Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, Denis Compton, Ricky Ponting, Graeme Pollock

Wicket-keepers (4):
Alan Knott, Andy Flower, Adam Gilchrist, Les Ames

Allrounders (4):
Imran Khan, Keith Miller, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev
For the purposes of this exercise, 'allrounder' is someone who can bat at seven or above and be one of only four bowlers, which is why Benaud, Sobers, Hadlee and Akram just miss out and appear elsewhere instead.

Spinners (6):
Shane Warne, Bill O’Reilly, Muttiah Muralitharan, Richie Benaud, Derek Underwood, Jim Laker

Fast bowlers (15):
Dennis Lillee, Ray Lindwall, Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, Glenn McGrath, Fred Trueman, Harold Larwood, Joel Garner, Alan Davidson, Richard Hadlee, Michael Holding

Thoughts would be much appreciated - I need to trim this down to around 35, and then I will come up with my final selection.

The full details can be found at http://third-umpire.blogspot.com/search/label/Greatest%20Test%20XI

Many thanks - be great to hear your views!

Impressive list. My personal 11 would be (based purely on my own limited knowledge and likes/dislikes):

Openers:
Gordon Greenidge
Geoff Boycott

Middle order:
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Gary Sobers

Wk keeper:
Andy Flower

All rounder:
Kapil Dev

Spinner:
Shane Warne

Fast bowlers:
Richard Hadlee
Michael Holding

12th Man: Imran Khan

Man, what a lineup! :hpraise

I had to drop Sachin Tendulkar because impressive as he is, I don't remember too many Test matches which he has dominated completely unlike Lara.

Last edited:

iloveireland

Panel of Selectors
I wouldn't use Andrew Flower and many wouldn't agree but I'd use Richie Benau (or however his name is spelt. Most will know know who I mean)

Users who are viewing this thread