How I won the 2009 Ashes

D

Dutch

I have. Check out Oli's Twitter page. He is creating new features for the game as we speak, including match highlights, which I am very excited about. I don't watch any highlights when I play, but I'd love a feature which shows you the key highlights of a day's play within a few minutes.

Here is the link: Oli Norwell (rocksoftgames) on Twitter

You don't need a Twitter account to view it. Also, there is a small forum with just a couple of threads on the Cricket Coach forum - Rockingham Software's Forum • View forum - Rockingham Software Releases

Cheers for the link. Does look promising. I do hope they have an easier way of setting your field though. In ICC I like the drag and drop functionality of the fielders. In CC it feels very cumbersome. Anyway I'll stop using your thread for the wrong reasons!!!

D

Dutch

Any Cricket Coach discussion is good discussion ;)

Amen to that! I can't believe so few people play this game here. Statistically it is absolutely brilliant and the fact that you can play with "lesser" teams and competitions is fantastic.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nice writing Treva. :)

So far the scores in the series have been really realistic. That makes this much more interesting.

Last edited:

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
4th Ashes Test: England vs Australia @ Headingley

2-0 up and looking comfortable, but I was not about to take our lead for granted. Headingley has seen some amazing low scoring games in the past and could well be the ground where the Aussies show us what they are really made of. We had won convincingly yet again and there was no chance of me changing a winning formula. Rashid still held his place over Swann and would be looking for a strong performance in front of his home crowd.
Unfortunately, run machine and leading scorer Ravi Bopara was forced out due to injury, meaning Ian Bell would take his place at number three. Cook and Pietersen had largely been failures with the bat so far and would need a strong performance to keep their place if Bell could score runs at three.

England: Strauss (c), Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Ambrose (wk), Flintoff, Broad, Rashid, Anderson, Onions.

Australia: Rogers, Warner, Ponting (c), M.Hussey, Haddin (wk), Clarke, D.Hussey, Lee, Hauritz, Tait, Hilfenhaus.

1st Innings: Australia 257 (Haddin 84, Clarke 45, Onions 4/74, Anderson 4/83) ? 87 overs.

For the fourth consecutive match the Aussies batted first, however, this time we won the toss and put them in. Once again we got an excellent start, removing Warner for 2 and the completely hopeless Ponting for 3 the very next over. Rogers got to yet another start but fell in the thirties with the score 52/3, and 5 runs later M.Hussey joined him back in the pavilion. Clarke and Haddin held off the rampant seamers for almost 20 overs. Clarke fell 5 short of a fifty as Broad clean bowled the Aussie vice captain on 45. Haddin reached his half century from 97 balls but he continued to lose partners at the other end, this time D.Hussey wrongly padding up to a straight delivery from Rashid on 23. Lee looked comfortable at the crease and managed to form a 79 run partnership with the wicket keeper-batsman until Onions returned to uproot his off stump for 84. The Aussie tail capitulated as Lee (37) and Tait (0) both went in the same Anderson over. Onions finished the innings off with the score at 257, catching Hauritz plumb in front.

brad-haddin_1446137c.jpg

2nd Innings: England 334 (Cook 129, Bell 56, Hauritz 4/89, Tait 3/78) ? 115.4 overs.

We had a tricky little session to bat out before Lunch of 7 overs but Strauss could only make it through 5.5 of those as he played all around a straight ball from Tait and was adjudged to be leg before by the umpire. After the break Cook and Bell knuckled down, with the latter of the two reaching fifty before the end of play on day two. However, in the first over of day three bell was bowled by Tait for 56. Cook went onto fifty and Pietersen made a solid 32 before he was undone by good spin bowling from Hauritz. Tea came with Cook just one away from his first hundred of the series, and he reached it in the first over of the evening session. The final session saw us score 89 runs from 25 overs but for the loss of 4 wickets as Collingwood, Ambrose, Cook and Flintoff all headed back to the pavilion before the end of play. Rashid and Broad put on a slow scoring partnership of 21 but once Rashid was dismissed by opposite number Hauritz the innings ended quickly. We had once again come out of the first half of the game with a lead.

Alastair-Cook-001.jpg

3rd Innings: Australia 171 (M.Hussey 39, Haddin 39, Rashid 5/21) ? 55.4 overs.

A steady start by the openers saw Anderson replaced by Flintoff with immediate effect. First Flintoff trapped Warner lbw for 24 and two overs later got through Rogers? defences to reduce them to 38/2. Onions continued from the other end and finished off his spell with the prized wicket of struggling Ponting. M.Hussey and Haddin provided strong resistance for the 4th wicket but it was Rashid?s turn to rip through the middle order. Haddin was bowled through the gate on 39, Clarke caught at midwicket by Pietersen and M.Hussey stumped by Ambrose also on 39 having tracked the young Yorkshire spinner. D.Hussey managed to survive for 58 minutes before part-time medium pacer Collingwood got the ball to nip back and trap him lbw for 17. The next three wickets fell for just a further two runs as Rashid picked up Hauritz and Tait in the same over before Collingwood ended the innings dismissing Hilfenhaus for a golden duck. A superb display of bowling had left us needing just 95 runs to regain the Ashes.

Adil-Rashid-001.jpg

4th Innings: England 96/2 (Pietersen 25*, Bell 24*, Cook 23, Strauss 19) ? 31 overs.

Chasing such a small total we never looked in difficulty. Strauss and Cook began watchfully and when the pair fell in the 17th and 18th overs it only sped up the wait for victory. Both Bell and Pietersen pushed along at a strike rate in the sixties to reach the target early on day five. We had won the Ashes, and with a game to spare. Could we now make it a whitewash at The Oval?

Ian-Bell-England-batsman-001.jpg

England 3-0 Australia after four Tests.

End of Part V.

-------------------------------------------------

Part VI: Can we make it an unbeaten and unrivalled Ashes series?

D

Dutch

Easy, easy, easy!:p

nice write up again Trev! Great use of photos. Still looking for screenies! :p

Will be great at the end of the series to pump out all the series stats that Cricket Coach can give you...just love that stuff.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Don't worry Ad, you'll get your fix of stats in a little while. You just have to go cold turkey for the next few days :p

As for the series, I honestly did not think I'd win so convincingly and with such ease. Our bowling was just phenominal, especially young Adil, who I was very surprised with. Takes an excellent coach to make such a brave decision, I think ;)

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Awesome stuff Treva, are you thinking of continuing this past the Ashes?

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
5th Ashes Test: England vs Australia @ The Oval

With the Ashes in the bag could we make it a complete whitewash for the first time since the 1977 series when England won 3-0 in England. Bopara was now fit again and there was no way I could leave the possible Man of the Series out of the final Test. This left me with a difficult choice. Bell had hit a 56 and 24* in his only Test and Pietersen’s top score was only 38*. I made my decision, Pietersen was to be left out, Bopara would come in at 3 and Bell would slot into Pietersen’s position at 4. I also decided it was time for a change in the bowling line-up, with Broad the man to be dropped after taking just 9 wickets @ 39.78 in 4 matches. With Hoggard and Sidebottom the only two bowlers to choose from I decided a recall for Hoggard was in order. I have always thought Hoggard was one of England’s greatest Test bowlers and had he not been dropped after a poor tour to New Zealand a few years back he may have challenged McGrath’s 500+ Test wickets.

England: Strauss (c), Cook, Bopara, Bell, Collingwood, Flintoff, Ambrose (wk), Rashid, Anderson, Hoggard, Onions.

Australia: Rogers, Warner, Ponting (c), M.Hussey, Haddin (wk), Clarke, D.Hussey, Lee, Hauritz, Tait, Hilfenhaus.

1st Innings: Australia 309 (Clarke 101, Warner 62, Anderson 4/31) – 85.5 overs.

Australia completed a whole series of batting first with their (not so) superior captain, Ponting. The start the Aussies were looking for was not there once again as Anderson removed Rogers for 14 and Hoggard got his first wicket in his comeback Test, managing to find the edge of Ponting’s bat. M.Hussey didn’t score many either, becoming Hoggard’s second victim having scored just 13. Warner played sensibly for his knock of 62 but he was once again unable to convert his fifty into a hundred as he was trapped lbw by Rashid. Clarke and Haddin provided resistance as normal but Haddin was unable to reach fifty once more, top edging a sweep straight to Hoggard at short fine leg off the bowling of Rashid. Clarke continued on past fifty and soon reached his century from 116 balls, only to be bowled by Anderson a ball later. D.Hussey’s wicket once again saw the tail collapse with Anderson and Flintoff taking the final 4 wickets between them.

Michael-Clarke-001.jpg

2nd Innings: England 452 (Bopara 152, Bell 105, Flintoff 90, Hauritz 5/101) – 160.2 overs.

Strauss once again failed to make an impact with the bat as he made just 1 run in his 29 minute stay at the crease, nicking one to Haddin off the bowling of Tait. Cook was bowled by Hilfenhaus for 24 bringing together the in form batsmen Bopara and Bell. The pair put on a stand of 220 for the 3rd wicket in 331 minutes. Both of them reached their centuries in the morning session of day three to take England up to the new ball. However, the new ball proved effective for Australia as Lee removed Bell for 105 and then Hauritz dismissed Collingwood for 9. After Lunch Bopara moved on to 150 but 2 minutes short of 500 minutes at the crease he was caught behind trying to cut a short ball from Hauritz. Ambrose and Rashid made small contributions but it was left to Flintoff to ensure we gained a healthy first innings lead. The Lancashire all-rounder scored his highest total of the series with a watchful 90 from 198 deliveries. He was the last man out, dismissed by Tait, with Hauritz having picked up 5 wickets thanks to the English lower order. We had a huge first innings lead and the whitewash looked within our grasp.

Ravi-Bopara-leaves-the-fi-001.jpg

3rd Innings: Australia 176 (Hussey 41, Ponting 40, Flintoff 4/45, Rashid 3/35) – 67.1 overs.

Once again the Aussies crumbled under the pressure of a 1st innings deficit and gave us an easy chase on the final day. Warner set the tone for the innings as he was dismissed by Anderson for a golden duck on the 2nd ball of the innings. Rogers and Ponting then formed a solid partnership of 83 before Hoggard and Flintoff joined the party. Hoggard removed Rogers for 37, Flintoff stopped Ponting from reaching his first fifty of the series and then the pair dismissed Haddin and M.Hussey for a single and a duck respectively. Clarke and D.Hussey stopped the rot that had seen 4 wickets fall for 6 runs but they couldn’t save Australia from a innings collapse. Rashid removed Clarke for 30 before Flintoff took the wickets of D.Hussey and Hauritz in the same over. Rashid took the final two wickets to close the Aussie innings on 176 and leave us just 34 runs to win.

andrew-flintoff_1445668c.jpg

4th Innings: England 35/1 (Strauss 24*, Hilfenhaus 1/4) – 14 overs.

It took us just over an hour to knock off the 34 runs needed for victory, with Cook the only casualty along the way. We had beaten the Aussies by the biggest margin of victory since the 5-1 thrashing in 1978/79. This was the first time England had won 4-0 in an Ashes series. The series could not have gone better and my first Summer as England coach had been a successful one.

England-celebrate-winning-001.jpg

England win the Ashes series 4-0

End of Part VI.

-------------------------------------------------

Part VII: A detailed look into the statistical side of the series. We will find out why exactly I won the 2009 Ashes.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bopara and Flintoff played really well in the 5th and the last Ashes test. England whole team played well throughout the series. They deserved to win the Ashes.

Nice writing and presentation Treva. :)

P

pcfan123

I love the writing style, its very factual with a little bit of descriptiveness. It feels more like sports journalism than story telling and I like that.

Users who are viewing this thread