How to completely remove a stubborn program?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Specifically, AVG 2011. I wanted to trial ESET Smart Security 4 and it recommended that other AV suites be uninstalled to avoid conflicts. So, I did. I restarted the PC as well - and the AVG icon was still there in the taskbar, albeit with none of the components working properly. It's still installed though: scan with AVG still comes up as an option when right clicking a file or folder and it's also taking up space on my HDD - I can't delete the folders, as the system says there's a file being used by AVG (which is supposed to be uninstalled).

I tried using Revo Uninstall but it wasn't even listed as an entry with that - I like Revo because it allows you to remove a program in its entirety, even bits and pieces that might be hanging around in the registry. I also tried removing it in Safe Mode. On all occasions, it said it was uninstalled, it even loaded up the AVG nag website (asking you why you un-installed it).

So, how do I get rid of the damn thing completely? I don't mean disable it, I mean get it off my system - I know all about msconfig and disabling things that way. I want it gone in case it causes any conflicts - besides which, I like ESET so far and might buy it.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Interesting, I uninstalled AVG recently and there's no trace of it on my computer anywhere.

Use CCleaner to find the registry things that aren't needed. It can also remove it from your startup programs.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
The main annoyance is the folder that won't delete - it's taking up about 150mb and right now 150mb is a lot on my system drive.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You couldn't delete the folder in safe mode? Maybe you should run a live linux cd and use that to delete it

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You couldn't delete the folder in safe mode? Maybe you should run a live linux cd and use that to delete it

:facepalm

I didn't think of trying to delete the folder in safe mode - just tried to uninstall it there. Anyway, done it now - I found an 'AVG removal tool' and that did the job nicely.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Anyways, it solved but Revo uninstaller is a very good tool for removing the apps completely.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Anyways, it solved but Revo uninstaller is a very good tool for removing the apps completely.

Yeah, I always use Revo because it removes everything to do with the app, but for some reason, AVG 2011 didn't come up under Revo.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
The folder couldn't be deleted because there was a service for AVG antivirus running. You need to stop the service first, then delete the folder, or any registry keys if you want to.

Start> Run> services.msc > Enter.

Now in the services list, you'll need to find the service which corresponds to AVG and stop it (also, disable it if you don't want it to start again). Now delete the folder.

Since you've already removed it with the removal tool, this may be useful for something else in the future :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
The folder couldn't be deleted because there was a service for AVG antivirus running. You need to stop the service first, then delete the folder, or any registry keys if you want to.

Start> Run> services.msc > Enter.

Now in the services list, you'll need to find the service which corresponds to AVG and stop it (also, disable it if you don't want it to start again). Now delete the folder.

Since you've already removed it with the removal tool, this may be useful for something else in the future :)

Thanks - that'll definitely come in handy if this happens again. :)

harrisb

International Coach
MB76, any chance you could give me the link to this 'AVG Removal Tool' you were speaking about. I've been having problems with AVG11 Free for ages but when i tried to uninstall it, it did exactly what you said, deleted most of the bits, but i can't delete the folder.

Abhas, i tried your way, but when you right-click the AVG bits on the list, it doesn't allow you to stop the service.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
MB76, any chance you could give me the link to this 'AVG Removal Tool' you were speaking about. I've been having problems with AVG11 Free for ages but when i tried to uninstall it, it did exactly what you said, deleted most of the bits, but i can't delete the folder.

Abhas, i tried your way, but when you right-click the AVG bits on the list, it doesn't allow you to stop the service.

You can double click, and disable the service first (or make it manual), and restart your computer. it will automatically be stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread