Iain O'Brien

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Does anyone rate this guy? I remember once irrotev saying that he was the one of the worst players to play International cricket!

Extremely underrated IMO.
He bowled the most amazing delievery I've ever seen to Alastair Cook earlier this year. A ball to a left-hander to which cut off the seam and seamed like a leg-break and would've seamed acouple of inches atleast! Sure the umpiring decision was incorrect but the delievery in itself was one to remember - Cook missed it by miles!

He has bowled fantastically in this Test against Australia aswell.

Thoughts?

When he came onto the scene, there was no doubt about his crappiness. However, he has improved massively since the England tour, in which he was superb. Not only does he have exemplary accuracy against right handers and adequate accuracy against left handers, but he extracts a massive deal of seam movement which makes him a potent wicket taker whilst being economical.

I didn't rate him too well during his first tests either tbh.

But having a look at the Bangladesh tour and the recent one of Aus he takes wickets, has great seam position and gets some good swing

Definitely deserves to be in our test team, possibly ODI too

He's OK, I wouldn't say he's particularly impressive. I certainly rate Southee, Martin and Oram ahead of him when it comes to the New Zealand team, I'd also probably take James Franklin ahead of him as well. But when it comes to filling the 3rd/4th seamer role in Australia he'll do a good job, he's certainly bowled well thus far in the series. I'd say an attack of Martin, Southee, Franklin, Oram and Vettori looks far stronger than with O'Brien in there though tbh. He's a decent bowler though, just nothing special.

I did say he was crap and I take that back a bit. He has improved a lot. I like that he tries his heart out (like most of our bowlers). When I first saw him I didn't think he was quick enough or accurate enough but his first series he must be been nervous because his accuracy has improved a lot. He's a handy bowler. He's a good first change in my opinion because he picks up the odd wicket.

Users who are viewing this thread