Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Once the bowler hasn't completed his delivery stride and action (ie his bowling arm hasn't gone past his usual point of release) then I'd have to give the non-striker out. I'd allow the fielding captain to withdraw the appeal if he wishes though.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- There's been many cases of an all-run four. Can the two in the middle run five? Six? Seven? Disregard overthrows.

- Can an official Test match be played over four days? (Not a completed Test, I mean, can the official time limit be four days and not five.)

- A ball is clearly heading over the boundary for a DLF/CRF/MRF/Ceat/Honda/Pepsi/Coke/sponsors Maximum...a six, basically. A spectator takes aim and throws a missile at the ball. A piece of clothing, a stone, a cup, an ice block...whatever. It makes contact with the ball and the ball drops into a fielder's hands. Obviously the catch is invalid. But is it still six? (Easy one.)

- In pre-virus times, you find that the crowd is too loud, you cannot hear if the ball hits the edge or the pad. What control do you have over the ground? Assume a ground with a big screen.

- Can you disagree with a referral?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
There's been many cases of an all-run four. Can the two in the middle run five? Six? Seven? Disregard overthrows.
I think all-run five is allowed. I did see a video of an all run five.

Can an official Test match be played over four days? (Not a completed Test, I mean, can the official time limit be four days and not five.)
I think yes. SA vs ZIM 2017 (or 2018 ) I think.

- A ball is clearly heading over the boundary for a DLF/CRF/MRF/Ceat/Honda/Pepsi/Coke/sponsors Maximum...a six, basically. A spectator takes aim and throws a missile at the ball. A piece of clothing, a stone, a cup, an ice block...whatever. It makes contact with the ball and the ball drops into a fielder's hands. Obviously the catch is invalid. But is it still six? (Easy one.)
Six obviously

In pre-virus times, you find that the crowd is too loud, you cannot hear if the ball hits the edge or the pad. What control do you have over the ground? Assume a ground with a big screen.
I don't think so I have any control. The best I can do is ask the ground staff to bring a message on the big screen asking the people to be quiet.

Can you disagree with a referral?
I didn't understand the question. Please elaborate.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
basically if you as the umpire think the referral is nonsense and is contributing against the Spirit of the Game, can you deny a team their referral?
I guess obviously not. Even if the team wants a referral for a dot ball, I'm inclined to give it.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
since there is a reply, now i think i can give it a go

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
- There's been many cases of an all-run four. Can the two in the middle run five? Six? Seven? Disregard overthrows.
It is definitely allowed, till the ball is in play, every run 'run' is allowed.

- Can an official Test match be played over four days? (Not a completed Test, I mean, can the official time limit be four days and not five.)
Yess, ICC approved 4 day tests.

Just call the ball dead and bowler has to bowl it again. Same happens when the ball hits the spider cam. It is clear that the ball is going in the crowd, still the ball has to be declared dead and to be bowled again.

- In pre-virus times, you find that the crowd is too loud, you cannot hear if the ball hits the edge or the pad. What control do you have over the ground? Assume a ground with a big screen.
Just ask for TV umpire's referral, by all means that is within an on field umpire's right

- Can you disagree with a referral?
Technically you can, but decision won't change, plus you have to face penalties and demerit points.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Just call the ball dead and bowler has to bowl it again. Same happens when the ball hits the spider cam. It is clear that the ball is going in the crowd, still the ball has to be declared dead and to be bowled again.
Remember the Ind vs WI ODI in 2014 in Dharamsala (I think). Raina hit a ball towards the mid-wicket boundary, and a ball boy stopped the ball before it touched the rope, while Andre Russell was still chasing the ball. The ball was counted and India were only given two, because Russell would've easily stopped the ball.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Wow, questions answered within a few hours. @Yash. and @Parth D for the answers so quickly.

1. Parth got it right. As long as the ball is in play, every run is allowed. There is an archaic rule that isn't covered in the official Laws that says you can't run more than a certain maximum amount of runs once a "lost ball" is called, but if you do call lost ball, the batting team scores the agreed amount of runs. Usually nowadays it's six, but it could have been any amount that both captains agreed to before the match. Up until that number of runs, the batsmen can run however much they please.

2. Yes, Tests against Zimbabwe (unfortunately) were official 4-day Test matches in the modern era. It never even made it to all four days however, as South Africa easily steamrolled the Zimbabwe side. Back in the day, Tests would be played over three days, or four days. Five days would include a "rest day" where players would telegraph back home and generally relax. But with Australia/India, Bangladesh/West Indies happening so recently, the talk of four day Tests has died for the time being.

3. Well...not really. Spider cam is a part of the official recording equipment agreed upon by both captains. A projectile thrown by a fan is not part of the game. If between you and square leg the ball was definitely headed for six, then six it is. (To any commentators reading this, I understand the need to call the sponsor's name. But it's SIX. Not A MAXIMUM. Okay? You can still call it a six. Please.)

4. I would talk to my match referee, who will talk to the director to ask to display a message. I will inform the fielding captain that I cannot make a fair decision until the crowd is silent, or at least quiet enough. I expect some noise, but not so much that my judgement is impaired.

5. This is why I love Aleem Dar. Talk done.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
Remember the Ind vs WI ODI in 2014 in Dharamsala (I think). Raina hit a ball towards the mid-wicket boundary, and a ball boy stopped the ball before it touched the rope, while Andre Russell was still chasing the ball. The ball was counted and India were only given two, because Russell would've easily stopped the ball.
that was a deliberation a ball boy it was clear that he willingly put his hand into it

while a crowd person can legally argue that he didn't intend to hit the ball, it happen co incidently

just my take this

in the end, it really boils down to the umpire in charge, some are pro-active with their powers, others just try do it the book way

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
4. I would talk to my match referee, who will talk to the director to ask to display a message. I will inform the fielding captain that I cannot make a fair decision until the crowd is silent, or at least quiet enough. I expect some noise, but not so much that my judgement is impaired.
may be ask the home side captain to signal it to the fans to keep it low in addition to the above

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
You have to refer. If they've got a referral left you have to. But you'll ask them if that's something they really REALLY wanna do.

Teams with a last wicket and one referral in hand will inevitably refer. Dar asks them..."seriously?"

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
You have to refer. If they've got a referral left you have to. But you'll ask them if that's something they really REALLY wanna do.

Teams with a last wicket and one referral in hand will inevitably refer. Dar asks them..."seriously?"
but isnt it disagreement with the decision and not the referral?

Users who are viewing this thread