ICC Awards 2012

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
No its not over action. When everybody in the world can see that a player who should have won the ICC player of the year award is not even in the list and ICC is doing nothing about it then you must boycott such dummy awards.

If this continues (PCB Boycotting Awards), then eventual step ahead is ICC will ignore Pakistani players for next awards. If someone misses out once, it doesn't mean that person will miss out for life time, unless he messes up with the organizer.

You know what would be the result of boycotting awards- Every time PCB fails to see their players nominated and then every time they will boycott, which will be the trend to follow.

Also, just because a player from your country misses out to get nominated, you shouldn't call those awards dummy- in fact the World Cup itself is being conducted by ICC, and why do you want Pakistan to play in a tournament what someone organizes who also give dummy awards?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Strange answer by ICC that they are not in the position to change the nominees as its the panel of 'experts' which picks the players for the awards. Interestingly, a couple of years back, England cricket board complained about the exclusion of spinner Graeme Swann. Following that, he was included as one of the nominees for an award. So, whats the problem? If they can include Swann why not Ajmal?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Because that was due to an error in the report ie. Swann was MEANT to be in the list - the experts wanted him in, but for some reason he wasn't included in the press release. A secretary stuffed up somewhere. Ajmal's case is different, but don't let that stop the anger :p

I agree that ICC was a bit rude towards Ajmal, but what I feel is boycotting awards is just what you call something over action.

Also, if PCB does all this ----, they will be definitely sidelined for many awards to come- and the ultimate losers for this "boycotting" will be the players of Pakistan, because 90% of the the world sees who bags the award, just 50% of the world sees who has been nominated and just 10% knows who deserve it.

Yes I agree, boycotting would be extremely petty. After all, only 3 countries got a player nominated for player of the year...3! Should all the other countries boycott? Marlon Samuels has had a great year for WI, why aren't they planning on boycotting because he was snubbed? India could certainly be aggrieved that Virat Kohli wasn't nominated. If Ajmal was an absolute slam dunk for the award I might be upset, but I don't think he is. He's spent all his 12 months playing in Asia for starters: Sri Lanka, UAE, Bangladesh, and a couple of games in Zimbabwe.

I'll agree he should have been in the final list though, I just don't think people should carry on as though he's been the best player in the last 12 months by a country mile. Very good sure, but there's plenty of competition there.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If this continues (PCB Boycotting Awards), then eventual step ahead is ICC will ignore Pakistani players for next awards. If someone misses out once, it doesn't mean that person will miss out for life time, unless he messes up with the organizer.

You know what would be the result of boycotting awards- Every time PCB fails to see their players nominated and then every time they will boycott, which will be the trend to follow.

Also, just because a player from your country misses out to get nominated, you shouldn't call those awards dummy- in fact the World Cup itself is being conducted by ICC, and why do you want Pakistan to play in a tournament what someone organizes who also give dummy awards?

South Africa boycott the awards back in 2009 and it worked for them so I'll again say that PCB should boycott these awards. ICC can't just do whatever they want to do, when you have created certain parameters for qualification then you need to follow.
How you can compare a Worldcup with ICC awards? A worldcup is a competition while awards are not a competition.

----------

^Because that was due to an error in the report ie. Swann was MEANT to be in the list - the experts wanted him in, but for some reason he wasn't included in the press release. A secretary stuffed up somewhere. Ajmal's case is different, but don't let that stop the anger :p

Yes I agree, boycotting would be extremely petty. After all, only 3 countries got a player nominated for player of the year...3! Should all the other countries boycott? Marlon Samuels has had a great year for WI, why aren't they planning on boycotting because he was snubbed? India could certainly be aggrieved that Virat Kohli wasn't nominated. If Ajmal was an absolute slam dunk for the award I might be upset, but I don't think he is. He's spent all his 12 months playing in Asia for starters: Sri Lanka, UAE, Bangladesh, and a couple of games in Zimbabwe.

I'll agree he should have been in the final list though, I just don't think people should carry on as though he's been the best player in the last 12 months by a country mile. Very good sure, but there's plenty of competition there.
By this means Philander should also be excluded as he did only bowl on seaming tracks. Other then that Ajmal is super consistent in all three formats and for me he was definitely one of the strongest contestant to win ICC player of the year award.
In case of Kohli, yes he was best in ODIs and for that he is nominated but he was not consistent in all three formats, I can't even think of comparing Samuels's performance this year to that of Ajmal.

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
South Africa boycott the awards back in 2009 and it worked for them so I'll again say that PCB should boycott these awards. ICC can't just do whatever they want to do, when you have created certain parameters for qualification then you need to follow.
How you can compare a Worldcup with ICC awards? A worldcup is a competition while awards are not a competition..

The natural human tendency is like this now a days- if you are unable to support something, just oppose it. But there is one more concept of moving on, rather than announce few things in public and then losing it again. Doesn't it look just like what we hate the most when it comes to our political leaders in our countries, isn't it? Do fast until death, then get a word from higher official that they will look into the matter and then finally give away what they require, with again a bit of drama from the other side- which eventually ends in loss of either sides. The story is almost similar here, ICC didn't nominate Ajmal. PCB requested for him and yet they rejected. Why not you opt for move on rather than make it a big issue by "boycotting" blah blah? Who ever is nominated, just go and see if you get award.

Just because a team mate isn't appreciated, it doesn't mean that Mohammad Hafeez should miss out an award, probably considered as award of life time, Spirit of the Cricket award, and if he gets it, it should be definitely once in a life time one.

If you feel ICC Awards isn't a competition, why are you fighting to see your players in it? And also, what if ICC doesn't recognize his talent- is he losing his talent just because ICC didn't nominate him?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You can "move on" on anything but ICC needs to know that there are other boards who really care about their players. Boycott is must if ICC tends to remain like that. You have to listen to each and every board equally otherwise there is no point to have ICC.
Lol so you think that players are fighting for this ICC award? Awards are not any kind of competition, they are just to honor players for what they have done on cricket field.
Losing talent or not losing has nothing to do with awards, but since it is wrong so I'll support PCB to at least show that they care for their players.

----------

The best thing ICC can do at the moment is to ask the jury to provide a report that why Ajmal is not included in the final list.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't think a boycott is that severe, not turning up for an awards ceremony is at worst a bit petty but it's hardly going to cause ruptures in the game.

I'm not saying I support their decision, I just don't particularly care. I do think pakistan were poorly represented in all honesty but having a moan about it and then going out and resolving to embarrass the ICC by beating more teams would be more effective.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
What bothers me is the fact that I think he was the favourite to win (maybe prejudiced opinion) and he failed to be even nominated.

Boycotting seems to be the only option. We are just following the SA precedent and honestly how else are you supposed to react to this peacefully?

Imagine Virat Kohli not being nominated for the ODI player of the year. Yes, to me, its THAT bad.

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
What bothers me is the fact that I think he was the favourite to win (maybe prejudiced opinion) and he failed to be even nominated.

Boycotting seems to be the only option. We are just following the SA precedent and honestly how else are you supposed to react to this peacefully?

Imagine Virat Kohli not being nominated for the ODI player of the year. Yes, to me, its THAT bad.

I understand the frustration what people are having. Even I know how good is Ajmal.

But I don't understand why should Hafeez should give up his nomination (if he wins, it will be once in a life time award- added to that , its the first time that an individual is getting that award.) You want Hafeez to miss a crucial award for Ajmal's nomination?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Also a tad surprised there ain't any English nominees, especially for the limited overs segment where they're #1 ATM. Thought Finny would make it tbh

I still don't get how they are no 1 tbh.

S

Satan666

I agree the PCB are going over board with this issue. Given the present control India have over the BCCI it seems more than the Ajmal issue, the continued axing of Pak players in the IPL and the lack of international tests means the PCB is already agitated so as small as this Ajmal issue same its exaggerated by all the atrocities the Pakistanis have been facing since the powerhouses of the ICC are India.

sattar

Club Captain
Really its a joke Who should be favorite to win the award is not in nominees list.Great ICC continue this brilliant job .With or Without award he will be the best bowler in our eyes.Really its a shock like u need 1 run in 30 balls and u cnt score really cant believe it

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
What we should do is make sure that Aamir Sohail and Majid Bhatti are never allowed to represent Pakistan again at such forums. Ajmal should have definitely been nominated and based on overall performance in all formats, he should have been a strong contender for Cricketer of the year. ICC makes stupid decisions from time to time. They are just being consistent.
Another solid stat favouring Ajmal is the fact he took 120 wickets in all formats for period of the award and his nearest rival got 84.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Of course he has taken the most wickets, Ajmal also bowled the most overs in the last 12 months. Ajmal bowled 907 overs - only 6 other players got past 500 overs! Herath-874, Swann-617, Ashwin-609, Anderson-555, Broad-536, Sammy-501. So logically it would follow that Ajmal will have taken the most wickets in the period...

I agree with whoever said it would be easy just to have a short explanation from the jury who decided the final list. They can say 'oh Ajmal finished 5th on our voting blah blah for the following reasons blah blah'. That WON'T convert the angry fans, but it would at least be a nice gesture.

Users who are viewing this thread