Innovative Captaincy

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Who, according to you has been the most innovative captain..(out-of-the-box thinking) in this World Cup so far? I remember people saying how Dhoni was very innovative and different in his captaincy during the World Cup T20 2007. I haven't seen anything remarkably surprising from him in this tournament so far (though bowling 4 overs of Harbhajan Singh in the last 10 against SA was unexpected and effective). What are your thoughts about the other captains?

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Graeme Smith. Though spinners have never been their strength but he backed them up and played 3 spinners in many games and it worked out quite well for them, against England and India.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Who, according to you has been the most innovative captain..(out-of-the-box thinking) in this World Cup so far? I remember people saying how Dhoni was very innovative and different in his captaincy during the World Cup T20 2007. I haven't seen anything remarkably surprising from him in this tournament so far (though bowling 4 overs of Harbhajan Singh in the last 10 against SA was unexpected and effective). What are your thoughts about the other captains?

Dhoni seems to be confused. With his luck and midas touch deserting him he looks lost. IMO no captain has really stood out for his captaincy skills.

:)

Last edited:

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
I heard some commentator praise A Strauss for his captaincy skills during the Windies games. However I didn't watch that game, so I am not sure.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ricky Ponting and Shahid Afridi. Both of them have been pretty confident on the field, even though are struggling to score.

The bowling changes they do are working for them, could be luck, but these two guys stand apart from the rest.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Shahid Afridi. He has not hesitated to open with a spinner in this world cup and in today's match vs West Indies he opted to give the opening over to Hafeez which was a big gamble that worked.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Ricky Ponting!
Although he had a pretty sore squad with him, he managed to lose just one! They (Australia) played well planned games, unlike India, who have players in form, but unplanned!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I agree to Binnu completely

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Strauss has been a woeful captain but the field set he had for Sarwan turned the game in favor of England and eventually had them progress into the quarters . That was a very innovative move to bring Bell into forward short leg solely for Sarwan .

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Shahid Afridi. He has not hesitated to open with a spinner in this world cup and in today's match vs West Indies he opted to give the opening over to Hafeez which was a big gamble that worked.
I really don't agree with you. Which captain has NOT opened with a spinner?(okay, maybe i am going too far) but really opening with a spinner is nothing new. WI have done it, SA have done it with a lot of success. India has done it, I think even Bangladesh has done it.
Big Gamble also doesn't strike me as it. What's the worse that could have happened? Gayle could have hit him for a couple of sixes? I have never found Gayle to be very dominant against spin.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
well you can't say he is innovative but yeah he's a sharp thinker and reads the situation very quickly

Most innovative skipper for me is Greame smith because of the reason which mohit has told before

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Afridis decision to open with Hafeez wasnt a gamble. Hafeez has opened the bowlig before under Afridi in the T20 WC. I think Afridi has been sharp, but hes got soo many variations in his bowling attack that the batsmen need to take time to settle. Not taking credit away from him, hes been great captain too.

Users who are viewing this thread