Interview with Surrey Youngster, Stuart Meaker - Interview Posted.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
The man has 112 FC centuries, he's no slouch. He is definitely the best batsman going around the county scene, which is where Meaker has played all his Cricket.
This.

Amiya added 3 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

^Ahh, I just laughed at the post because I'm hearing that from a person who isn't even active in these type of forums and saying that my last few posts are annoying.

Aah. How i dare to argue with a cricket poondit.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Which is around 30 more than Tendulkar I believe.
Haha! :laugh

Mark has played 436 first class matches. Whereas, Tendulkar has only played about 270. Your comparison seems pretty fair! :sarcasm

----

Nice interview nonetheless. :) Mark is definitely one of the better batsmen in the world. Probably the best in the County cricket. But, comparing him with Tendulkar is ridiculous to say the least.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I think he just said it to rile someone up, Pranav, and you have fallen right into it. :sarcasm

Anyways, stop with the idiotic arguing and get back on topic, lads. Good interview, nice to hear from an up and coming cricketer. :)

Pranav

ICC Board Member
I think he just said it to rile someone up, Pranav, and you have fallen right into it. :sarcasm

He definitely didn't post it to rile someone up. Atleast, I didn't see it that way. They (Akshay and Ollie) were actually debating about how good a player Ramprakash was and then he came up with that post.

Leaving that aside, it is always good to hear about cricketers, especially the younger ones. Stuart gave away some good tips for the aspiring fast bowlers here. Good work Ollie. :)

P

pcfan123

My point was not that Ramps is a bad player or not talented, its just that he is not an International quality batsman. I would have thought this guy might have played against some proper Test batsmen who are doing county stints.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Lemme clear thing up.

@Amiya - disgusting post, a man coming back after 2-3 months gap and suddenly saying ot other members that some of your last posts are annoying. Utterly ridiculous.

@D-S-B - I just wanna say that he wasn't good enough for INt level. He was pretty average there. What Mark said, I also said that. Also read my post carefully, It have a line "Though it's his(Meaker) opinion". Surrey have contracted some INT. players like Symonds and most importantly Younis Khan who was pretty awesome at INT. level and have put many bowling attacks to sword.

@Ollie - coldn't just get up, for whatever reason you've posted that to rile me or whatever but that was one of the worst ever comparisons comparing Tendulkar and Ramprakash.
Well Pranav have cleared all thing.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm amazed this has become such a talking point really. Meaker is a Surrey player, and Ramprakash is an absolute legend as far as that club goes. His performances for them over the last 8 seasons have been remarkable (and even before that really, it's just his consistency has been remarkable in the last 8 years), he's an incredible player. Just because he didn't have the mental strength to cope with International cricket, doesn't mean he wasn't good enough for International cricket, Ramprakash was and still is a mighty fine player. Guys like Andrew Symonds and Younis Khan are International stars, but for Surrey players and fans, Ramprakash is the man. I don't think people outside England quite realise the impact Ramprakash has had on Surrey CCC; season after season he's been the lynchpin of the batting line-up and season after season he's performed. I'm certain that when he retires he'll go down alongside Sir Jack Hobbs, CB Fry, Ken Barrington, John Edrich, Tom Hayward, Andy Sandham and Robert Abel, as one of the great Surrey batsmen of all-time. Wasn't a surprise to me at all that Stuart would pick Ramprakash.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I'm amazed this has become such a talking point really. Meaker is a Surrey player, and Ramprakash is an absolute legend as far as that club goes. His performances for them over the last 8 seasons have been remarkable (and even before that really, it's just his consistency has been remarkable in the last 8 years), he's an incredible player. Just because he didn't have the mental strength to cope with International cricket, doesn't mean he wasn't good enough for International cricket, Ramprakash was and still is a mighty fine player. Guys like Andrew Symonds and Younis Khan are International stars, but for Surrey players and fans, Ramprakash is the man. I don't think people outside England quite realise the impact Ramprakash has had on Surrey CCC; season after season he's been the lynchpin of the batting line-up and season after season he's performed. I'm certain that when he retires he'll go down alongside Sir Jack Hobbs, CB Fry, Ken Barrington, John Edrich, Tom Hayward, Andy Sandham and Robert Abel, as one of the great Surrey batsmen of all-time. Wasn't a surprise to me at all that Stuart would pick Ramprakash.

When did I deny that Ramprakash isn't good, he's the best at FC level, the best ever county batsman and I said that Stuart has his opinion and I respect that. I agree with your point there but I was just talking about the other possibilities Meaker could have gone for.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Younis Khan who was pretty awesome at INT. level

Younis Khan has done absolutely jack-all for Surrey this season, so much so that I think Chris Adams has actually stopped playing him cos he was so woeful. And Andrew Symonds, as much as I enjoy watching him play, isn't exactly a high standard batsman.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Ramps is just another Graeme Hick who was brilliant in all forms of the game at county level but underperformed at International level.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Ramps is just another Graeme Hick who was brilliant in all forms of the game at county level but underperformed at International level.

I know, and it's massively disspointing. Playing 52 tests with an average of just 27. But he could be one of the England Coaching staff errors, he was thrown in at 21 and played his last test at 32. He actually had a pretty good average against Australia of 42, and average 49 in Australia from the 6 tests he played there.

I think he actually matured as a batsman much later in his career, it will never happen but I wonder how well he would have gone had he played a few tests in the last few seasons. Obviously it would have been a MASSIVE step back, but it's just a strange wonder.

I think that the fact he has performed incredibly for Surrey over the past 8 seasons, when he stopped playing test cricket, that maybe he never had the temprament to survive at the top level. But the fact that he is now 40 days away from being 41, and he is still taking the attach to county bowlers is a pretty mean feat.

Sureshot

Executive member
My point was not that Ramps is a bad player or not talented, its just that he is not an International quality batsman. I would have thought this guy might have played against some proper Test batsmen who are doing county stints.

Ramps has always had the technical ability to play at the top level, technically, he's as good as anyone out there, his problem in his England days was always mentally.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Exactly a year to the day since this interview was conducted, and Meaks has just been announced in the Lions squad to face India A. Think that just shows what a great year he has had!

Users who are viewing this thread