iPhone OS 4

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Apple today announced features that will be part of the iPhone OS 4. These changes are targeted towards the 3G-S and the 3rd generation Touch. The biggest improvements, in my opinion are:

- Multitasking framework/API
- Folders to organize apps
- Unified mail view, general mail improvements such as mail threads (a la Gmail), opening attachments and multiple exchange servers support
- iBooks support

They also introduced an ad framework called iAd, which allows for lightweight-app ads. Not so thrilled about that one...

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Wow! Apple innovates again! Brings all iPhone users Multi-tasking, for the first time in the market! The first in the race! I'm sure they've patented it now!

Sarcasm aside though, at least they finally realized importance of multi-tasking, even my Symbian S60 3'rd edition has it. Folders to organize apps sounds nice as well. iPhone 3G users will feel ripped off though.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Wow! Apple innovates again! Brings all iPhone users Multi-tasking, for the first time in the market! The first in the race! I'm sure they've patented it now!

Sarcasm aside though, at least they finally realized importance of multi-tasking, even my Symbian S60 3'rd edition has it. Folders to organize apps sounds nice as well. iPhone 3G users will feel ripped off though.
Actually, they did innovate in their multi-tasking framework. It's not your run-of-the-mill multitasking where state and pointers get saved over to the disk, you load the new program into memory and reload state--it's multitasking enabled through APIs.

On the negative side, this means that as an app developer you have to put in a significant amount of work to enable your app for multitasking. The positive is that you don't end up with all running programs taking up your device RAM and hence resulting in your memory paging in and out all the time, rendering the device unusable.

In fact, Apple doesn't even have a task manager since each products multitasking ability is a slice of multitasking, not the whole deal. There's no way to "close" an app. Their multitasking simply seems like an extension of the push interface, except with different things you can get into. It'll be interesting to see how usable it is.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Quite annoyed they've shelved the 3g, but I was planning to start saving up for the newer iPhone this year, just gunna cry at how expensive it'll be! I'm already in a contract so I'll need to buy it on a pay-as-you-go deal.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
In fact, Apple doesn't even have a task manager since each products multitasking ability is a slice of multitasking, not the whole deal. There's no way to "close" an app.

Android had the same problem too, but it wasn't long till App killing/task manager like programs were available for free on the market. Pretty sure they will pop up here as well.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Oh crap, I don't have an iPhone yet! What a generation! :eek:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Android had the same problem too, but it wasn't long till App killing/task manager like programs were available for free on the market. Pretty sure they will pop up here as well.
I don't think they will. What with Apple's stringent measures for App approval, you realize they've not even allowed third party web browsers?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Doubtful, considering that the App Store is regulated.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I don't think they will. What with Apple's stringent measures for App approval, you realize they've not even allowed third party web browsers?

I've got a third party web browser on my iPod...

Just because it is regulated doesn't mean there won't be an application that makes it to the app store.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I read somewhere that for multitasking to work, the apps that have been released need to support it. Is it true? Saw a video on YouTube where a guy plays Pandora and then tries to check his mail simultaneously and the Pandora streaming stopped and he said that the app creator needs to make changes to facilitate Pandora streaming simultaneously along with other stuff.

Will this work for iTouch 2nd GEN? I dont really want to buy a 3rd GEN just for this.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I've got a third party web browser on my iPod...
Name?

sohum added 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I read somewhere that for multitasking to work, the apps that have been released need to support it. Is it true? Saw a video on YouTube where a guy plays Pandora and then tries to check his mail simultaneously and the Pandora streaming stopped and he said that the app creator needs to make changes to facilitate Pandora streaming simultaneously along with other stuff.

Will this work for iTouch 2nd GEN? I dont really want to buy a 3rd GEN just for this.
All of this was addressed in the first post:

1. It is a multi-tasking API, not system-based multi-tasking. You have to opt-in.
2. iPhone OS 4 hasn't been released yet... so I don't see where that YouTube video is relevant. Only the SDK was released to developers and that will only run on an emulator/developer iPhone. If it's one of those then yes, obviously it won't work. Pandora won't be able to release an iPhone OS 4 app until the OS itself has been released.
3. It's only iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd Generation. I assume they will launch a new iPhone 4G when they launch iPhone OS 4 and the iPod Touch refresh should be around the corner, too.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah I just saw, shocked me as well lol. I didn't imagine I would ever say this but now's the time... so yeah its a good move by Apple, and I hope they open up towards more of them (I'm sure Firefox will want a piece of the pie too). But they've now also banned ported applications, so that sucks big time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread