Study - iPhone users are delusional

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, but Youtube's app doesnt cover 100% of the videos that are available on Youtube if you access it from a computer. Lot of videos give the message "This video is not supported by the iPod". And even in the search results, you dont get the full range of search results that you get if you search on Youtube from a computer. I wish the iPhone/iTouch had flash so that I could access Youtube from the Safari browser.

Well it does, sometimes they don't come up on search, but if you have the link then I've never been stopped.

Look the iPhone is something which you either want it, or you'll probably hate it for its price tag.

My opinion,

Bad Camera : Yeh, but if I wanted to take photo's I'd buy one of those things...what they called? Oh, and digital camera.

Multi-tasking : I'm sorry but how much do you want it to do? I can listen to music whilst texting, good enough for me. Spotify is annoying, as I have to close it down to answer texts but ah well, i'll deal.

At the end of the day, its a superior phone to every other. It may not be for you, but it is much better than those phones who try to copy it.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well it does, sometimes they don't come up on search, but if you have the link then I've never been stopped.

Look the iPhone is something which you either want it, or you'll probably hate it for its price tag.

My opinion,

Bad Camera : Yeh, but if I wanted to take photo's I'd buy one of those things...what they called? Oh, and digital camera.

Multi-tasking : I'm sorry but how much do you want it to do? I can listen to music whilst texting, good enough for me. Spotify is annoying, as I have to close it down to answer texts but ah well, i'll deal.

At the end of the day, its a superior phone to every other. It may not be for you, but it is much better than those phones who try to copy it.
Sim - Did you also take the survey? :D Because your camera answers looks VERY close to the ones in the survey! :D

I don't know what you're talking about the price tag as well. As far as I know, most of the people who do criticize the iPhone are the ones who have more expensive phones than the iPhone. We have 4 phones in our house and apart from mine (:p) all of them are more expensive than the iPhone.

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Sim - Did you also take the survey? :D Because your camera answers looks VERY close to the ones in the survey! :D

The thing, is many of those questions come with bog standard answers, it's biased against the iPhone. If you want a superior you should be buying a camera not a phone. I'mma up load a few pics taken with my iPhone and for me they are pretty good quality.

EDIT: Here you go, two pictures from my iPhone which I think are of pretty good quality. N.B These pictures are not in the original form, they were taken landscape but for the sake of some people's knecks I rotated them.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
The thing, is many of those questions come with bog standard answers, it's biased against the iPhone. If you want a superior you should be buying a camera not a phone. I'mma up load a few pics taken with my iPhone and for me they are pretty good quality.
I'm not debating its quality in absolute-ness. And I would take your "If I wanted to take good photos I'd buy a digicam" but the case here is that other phones come in the similar price range with better cameras.

For one, my comment which you quoted was meant as a joke. Secondly, people need to relax! ;) I'm not taking a dig at the iPhone users.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Why deal with it when you don't have to? The reason why most people using an iPhone are happy with some of the places its feature list are thin is because they are first-time smartphone users.

I would appreciate the ability to, for example, be playing a game on my iPhone when a text comes in about how close a game is. I then open up the Sportscenter app, check the score, reply back to the text and go back to the game. Do you know how much time I would have to waste on initialization procedures? Not to mention that if the game doesn't support state saving, then I lose my progress.

To put it into context, modern day computers are only useful because they can handle multiple processes. Imagine if you could only use your computer to run one program at a time. It would be a ludicrous proposition! Smartphones are the mobile computers of tomorrow. The iPhone took a huge step towards that milestone. Android support multiple processes, RIM has always supported it. Apple will eventually have to bend or sacrifice a superior usage experience.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Well it does sound a bit like you are.

The price tag issue can only be taken so far...you get what you pay for. If you want a phone which was revolutionary, which has endless amounts of apps and things to make everyday life a little easier, more organised etc. then its the iPhone.

Those pictures are of very decent quality, especially when zoomed in. And the survey is very heavily biased against the iPhone and its probably by someone who couldn't afford one.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not debating its quality in absolute-ness. And I would take your "If I wanted to take good photos I'd buy a digicam" but the case here is that other phones come in the similar price range with better cameras.
I know where your coming from, but it's not like the iPhone is marketed as a camera phone? So why put a serious good camera in it when that's not what it is.

I would appreciate the ability to, for example, be playing a game on my iPhone when a text comes in about how close a game is. I then open up the Sportscenter app, check the score, reply back to the text and go back to the game. Do you know how much time I would have to waste on initialization procedures? Not to mention that if the game doesn't support state saving, then I lose my progress.

I'm sure there aren't many phones that could deal with something like that. I very rarely dip my toes into the realms of full on gaming on an iPhone so I don't know what I can say, but the ones I do play I can say that there are not major long times when you have to be playing the game. Like I do a lot of guitar hero, thats a song, I can do, get a text in the middle, close the message, finish off my song then after it saves do what I need to. I'm sure that having to just do 2 more minutes of a song say is going to have little effect on what you miss of a game.

Also if the game is that close on the sports app, the likelihood is that you are not going to go back to playing the game but actually watch said game.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
holdenator said:
I know where your coming from, but it's not like the iPhone is marketed as a camera phone? So why put a serious good camera in it when that's not what it is.

Yeah, but so aren't other phones with better cameras. From what I just saw on the motorola site, I can order a Motorola DROID for $150 with a Verizon contract, which has a 5MP camera and captures DVD quality video, as opposed to the iPhone 3Gs, which has a 3MP camera and captures at VGA quality, and comes in around $199. I'm not talking about who uses them or whatever, just talking about whatever's offering more value for money.

However, the DROID is a relatively very new entrant as opposed to the iPhone so thats a pretty weak point. I also believe that a 3MP camera is pretty sufficient. I guess most of the camera woes people had were with the original iPhone 3G, that had a 2MP camera, and couldn't even take videos if my knowledge serves me right. At that time, from what I remember, Palm was offering the Pre with a 3.15 MP camera as well.

Simbazz said:
The price tag issue can only be taken so far...you get what you pay for. If you want a phone which was revolutionary, which has endless amounts of apps and things to make everyday life a little easier, more organised etc. then its the iPhone.

I still don't get the expensive point. The iPhone 3G is available just for $99!

Simbazz said:
Those pictures are of very decent quality, especially when zoomed in. And the survey is very heavily biased against the iPhone and its probably by someone who couldn't afford one.

Whatever the survey concludes, if you notice I posted it here more as a laugh than a dig at iPhone users (Which it actually isn't).

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'm sure there aren't many phones that could deal with something like that.
Smartphones have had multi-tasking abilities for a long time. They haven't been elegantly done, though, although the Android has gone a ways in solving that problem. I could do that on my BlackBerry, for example, warranted that the relevant applications existed.

I very rarely dip my toes into the realms of full on gaming on an iPhone so I don't know what I can say, but the ones I do play I can say that there are not major long times when you have to be playing the game. Like I do a lot of guitar hero, thats a song, I can do, get a text in the middle, close the message, finish off my song then after it saves do what I need to. I'm sure that having to just do 2 more minutes of a song say is going to have little effect on what you miss of a game.
You're missing the point of the example. I'm trying to show that there are several valid use cases for multi-tasking. And just like you mentioned--the state saving ability is on a per-app basis. Imagine if on your PC, you had to save your document and close your app every time you wanted to press ALT+TAB. Would you accept that? The iPhone is not powerful enough to be compared to a full-on computer (although many people use it as their mobile computer) but smartphones are moving in that direction. Android, BB and I assume WebOS have supported it for a while. They're going to perfect it and I hope the iPhone developers have been working on it, as well.

Also if the game is that close on the sports app, the likelihood is that you are not going to go back to playing the game but actually watch said game.
Again, the example was not demonstrating a specific use case, but the general use case of multi-tasking.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
FFS, if my phone rings, I answer it. As long as I can hear the person on the other end and they can hear me I am happy. Everything else is just bollocks.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
FFS, if my phone rings, I answer it. As long as I can hear the person on the other end and they can hear me I am happy. Everything else is just bollocks.
With all due respect, if technological pioneers would have taken this mindset a decade ago we'd all still be using DOS.

The laptop computer came out of the need for a mobile computer. The phone is coming out of a need for a smaller laptop.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Totally different. Computers have practical uses, in the real world. I have no need for an app that tells me where I parked my car, because I can sodding well remember. I don't need to play games on my phone because I have a much more powerful PC/games console. I don't need to stream movies to my phone because I have a big arse TV. I don't need to play music on it because if I am on the move I am probably in my car, which is far flasher and more useful than a sodding phone. If you email me and I am not at my PC, I don't sodding well care. I am obviously busy so you can wait. Lets face it, who needs to read spam on the move?

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Then Kev, you get phones which are suited to you. No one can tell you which phone is right can they?

My problem with iPhone haters is that they all think they're right, the iPhone is the right phone for me as a University student as it gives me the ability to log into any University website on the go, it gives me the ability to watch tv/movies etc on those slow days when work needs to be done but just isnt, and the app store entertains me in lecture theatres when i'm supposed to be writing down a bucket load of quotes and text pieces.

If I wanted a cam, i'd get a digital camera. If I wanted a proper smart phone, i'd get a Palm or some form of Windows mobile. If I wanted a phone with a mega long battery life, i'd search for one out. For me, the number one MP3 device manufacturers is Apple with iPods, I listen to so much music a day that i'm pretty sure its unhealthy so for me its the right decision.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Totally different. Computers have practical uses, in the real world.
Computers wouldn't have practical uses in the everyday lives of normal users if someone didn't think out of the box back in the day that they were primarily used for business machines.

Technology is always becoming faster, more accessible and more mobile. And like it or not, the future cellphones are basically microcomputers. I mean, even now they are. The only thing separating them is the fact that they are limited by form factor constraints.

To ridicule that natural evolution is to laugh in the face of any and all technological enhancements. Think about this... when the consumer microwave oven was first sold, it had one use--to heat food. Now what if people who were developing those products decided, "Well, we've given the people what they want, let's look for another job, now." I mean, modern-day microwaves come with everything from pre-coded reheat patterns to a built-in timer. These are certainly not original use cases but they are quite obviously very relevant use cases.

There are some cases where technological innovation is not a good thing--and I don't think this is one of them.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Then Kev, you get phones which are suited to you. No one can tell you which phone is right can they?

My problem with iPhone haters is that they all think they're right, the iPhone is the right phone for me as a University student as it gives me the ability to log into any University website on the go, it gives me the ability to watch tv/movies etc on those slow days when work needs to be done but just isnt, and the app store entertains me in lecture theatres when i'm supposed to be writing down a bucket load of quotes and text pieces.

If I wanted a cam, i'd get a digital camera. If I wanted a proper smart phone, i'd get a Palm or some form of Windows mobile. If I wanted a phone with a mega long battery life, i'd search for one out. For me, the number one MP3 device manufacturers is Apple with iPods, I listen to so much music a day that i'm pretty sure its unhealthy so for me its the right decision.
You see the point here? The iPhone is marketed as a smart phone, where it falls short of a lot of things. It is the perfect phone for you yes, but not for everyone. The points that are discussed in relations to features and stuff are for EVERYONE than just a university student.

Users who are viewing this thread