Is this the end of the Champions Trophy in its current form?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Before you say anything, there isn't any official news on this or anything. And I don't want to hear people saying 'I hope so' and all that other rubbish.

Look back to the last Champions Trophy, in 2006. That was a mere 3 years ago but so much has changed in cricket over that time. The first World Twenty20 was played, the IPL kicked off - T20 is now clearly the king of the limited overs game.

After this tournament, the next CT is scheduled for 2012 (I think in the West Indies). The ICC have said they will conduct a review of the 50 over format immediately after the World Cup finishes in 2011. The most likely outcome of that review will be the scrapping of the 50 overs and its replacement with 40 overs a side games. So will the next CT be a 40 overs a side tournament? Or will it be scrapped altogether (CT) and replaced in the schedules by the World T20?

Discuss.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A knockout tournament was alright. Obviously when CT format was changed ODI cricket was king but not anymore. Even test matches are more popular than these ODIs at the moment.

I just hope that 50 overs continue and knockouts are back.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Although I'm looking forward to the Champions trophy, we don't really need it in our schedule. We have the best ODI tournament in the World Cup. We don't need two, it's just overkill.

Replace the Champs trophy with the World T20. That way, we won't have 3 ICC events in a year which is just waay too much.

Or, a knockout trophy sounds good too... Throw it in Sarjah, under lights, and bring back Pakistan's light green uniform and Akram. Put Tendulkar on the other side and watch the firecrackers flow.

If that doesn't save ODI cricket, I have no idea what will :p.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
ODI cricket will never move down to 40 overs, why would it? I don't see how taking 10 overs off will help the format at all.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
ODI cricket will never move down to 40 overs, why would it? I don't see how taking 10 overs off will help the format at all.
It's amazing how much difference the chopping off of 10 overs makes.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
It's amazing how much difference the chopping off of 10 overs makes.

I haven't seen any 40 over cricket before so I can't really comment but what will really change. I'm guessing the powerplay's only go for 15 overs? If that's the case then you'll still have 15 odd overs of building up an innings.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I haven't seen any 40 over cricket before so I can't really comment but what will really change. I'm guessing the powerplay's only go for 15 overs? If that's the case then you'll still have 15 odd overs of building up an innings.
South Africa's domestic competition is now 45 overs and in England we've just scrapped the 50 over comp and just have a 40 over one now.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
40 over cricket is even more rubbish than T20, I have tried watching Pro 40 games of England and I fell asleep.

Those who are saying we don't need CT in our schedule are actually making a mistake cause removing the tournament will make ODIs even more worthless. You need to have ODI tournaments taking place to keep the interest going, only five match or seven match ODI series are not gonna do that. Before ODIs used to be exciting because of the tri series in English and Aussie summer and because it's gone now, tournaments like CT and Asia Cup have become more important to keep people's interest going heading to the World Cup.

And also I don't think ICC is brave enough to change the format.

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
England vs India 0-5
England vs Australia 1-6

I don't think 40 overs has done anything good for England.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I find it stupid that England have stopped playing domestic cricket 50 over games, it's no surprise that their national team is going so poorly. If One Day Cricket goes to 40 overs, I'll check it out, and if it's ████, I'll only watch Tests for as long as I live, until we get some decent cricket.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I find it stupid that England have stopped playing domestic cricket 50 over games, it's no surprise that their national team is going so poorly. If One Day Cricket goes to 40 overs, I'll check it out, and if it's ████, I'll only watch Tests for as long as I live, until we get some decent cricket.
40 over cricket really should be a BENEFIT to playing 50 overs.

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
We can remove the two nations ODI series and bring back those three nations or 4 nations tournaments like sharja cup or titan cup.Only need 3 or 4 tournaments in a year to play against all test nations and all other ODI's can be removed from the schedule.Also there is no need for a Champions Trophy when we have ODI World Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread