Left 4 Dead

pingusten

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
left4dead_banner.jpg

The new game from Valve, this is a zombie shooter that focuses mainly on co-op play. It's actually got me hooked, just like the original Counter Strike, I'm finding it hard to stop playing. It's different to CS in that there is basically just 4 humans versus the 'undead', the zombies created by the 'infection' (you never find out what this is).

You play as either a human or one of 4 undead 'specials', the Boomer, Smoker, Hunter, and the Tank. The humans are all the same in terms of skill; you get the same sort of weapons. So basically, its 4 v 4 with the humans trying to survive by working as a team, and the Undead working as a team to attempt to destroy the humans. As well as the 8 people playing, there are hundreds of NPC zombies.

87451-left-4-dead_8.jpg

Teamwork is the word that is used most in Left 4 Dead. I've seen many people get tailed off from there group, as they want to be a hero and kill everything themselves - that wont work. The opposing team picks them off with ease, meaning that the persons team is down one player and there are some very irritated voices shouting at him down the mics. It's important for the humans to stick together and communicate - otherwise its death. You get med packs, limited to one each, which you can either use to heal yourself or another player.

There are 20 levels, each one consisting of 5 parts of a 4 'movies'. You move through each scenario to a safehouse, where you stock up on Ammo and med packs. This is a fantastic structure, it just brings so much to the game, as you realise you can see the door behind a large group of zombies and your entire team just goes for it.

35368_normal.jpg

The best thing about Left 4 Dead is the AI Director. I'll let Wikipedia explain it, much better than I could.

wikipedia said:
The artificial intelligence of Left 4 Dead features a dynamic system for game dramatics, pacing, and difficulty called "The Director." Instead of set spawn points for enemies, the Director places enemies and pick-ups (e.g. weapons, bombs, etc.) in varying positions and quantities based upon each player's current situation, status, skill and location, creating a new experience for each play through. The Director also creates mood and tension with emotional cues such as visual effects, dynamic music, and character communication. Valve has termed this dynamic set-up "procedural narrative."

Put simply, the game is never the same twice. People online are excellent at employing the games teamwork need, using Microphones and playing intelligently.

Some moments are utterly hilarious, some are actually quite poignant, as you realise you're going to have to leave a character behind who has become tailed off from the group. Going back to him/her would mean a chance for the undead to take control, and that is not an option.

Basically, Left 4 Dead is my game of this year. It's something that many games arent these days; both fun, and intelligent. On the surface, its a simple shoot everything that moves philosophy. But get online and with real people, and it becomes a brilliant tactical experience.

Oh, and for those wondering, there is a single player option, although it is knowhere as good as online play, as the AI rely on you to take the lead. If you're going to get it, make sure you have the option to play online.

So, has anyone got it for either 360 or PC?

Amazon.co.uk: Left 4 Dead (PC DVD): PC & Video Games

Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

ledzep

Club Cricketer
i have been questioning to get this but that review has now made me want to get this, so i reckon i will get it after a xmas.

pingusten

Club Cricketer
While it's obviously aimed at online, is it any good offline?

It's good, but thats it. It's really meant to be played online. The AI offline are static, you have to take the lead into every situation. You can order them to open the door in front, but they do that and then wait for you too do the business.

It's not nearly as fun as online, where there are humans on the Infected too, making it much harder and more team orientated.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's good, but thats it. It's really meant to be played online. The AI offline are static, you have to take the lead into every situation. You can order them to open the door in front, but they do that and then wait for you too do the business.

It's not nearly as fun as online, where there are humans on the Infected too, making it much harder and more team orientated.

So, no 'campaign' mode as such. Sounds good though, I'd have to find out how much download/bandwidth or whatever it's called an average game would use.

pingusten

Club Cricketer
So, no 'campaign' mode as such. Sounds good though, I'd have to find out how much download/bandwidth or whatever it's called an average game would use.

It's sort of a campaign, and sort of not. It's split into 4 'movies', each with 5 sections. You can play through any section, or the entire movie. Theres no set story though, you are meant to carve out the endings in the way that you play. You play in different scenery in each movie.

As for average bandwidth, I just did a little test just for you :)

I played Left4Dead for 25 mins, on a normal campiagn and with 3 other guys from the UK. My ping was 56, pretty average. I used up 21mb in that time, so an hour you are looking at about 45mb of usage.

Of course, it will depend on where the other people are in the world, and whether the server is being hosted by a player or by a dedicated provider.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's sort of a campaign, and sort of not. It's split into 4 'movies', each with 5 sections. You can play through any section, or the entire movie. Theres no set story though, you are meant to carve out the endings in the way that you play. You play in different scenery in each movie.

As for average bandwidth, I just did a little test just for you :)

I played Left4Dead for 25 mins, on a normal campiagn and with 3 other guys from the UK. My ping was 56, pretty average. I used up 21mb in that time, so an hour you are looking at about 45mb of usage.

Of course, it will depend on where the other people are in the world, and whether the server is being hosted by a player or by a dedicated provider.

Thanks for that, should be manageable then, especially if I stick with UK players; are there a lot of UK players around then?

pingusten

Club Cricketer
Thanks for that, should be manageable then, especially if I stick with UK players; are there a lot of UK players around then?

Yeah there are a lot of people on the official Steam groups that you can join. It's a new feature they've brought in; you join groups, say the 'Edinburgh Uni Left 4 Dead players', and then you can automatically be paired up together and have games just with people from that group. It also takes away the chance of getting a 12 year old American with a trigger happy index finger.

So if you get the game, you search Steam for groups local to you, and then join them. Once in game, click on the Steam Groups server option, and you can play with people from you're area :)

I'm a member of the Edinburgh one, a UK only one, and the offical Left4Dead group.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Has there been any kind of editor released for it, so people can make new maps? If that happens, I don't ever see this kind of game getting old. I haven't got it (yet), but I really love the sound of it and I especially like the way the zombies have been done: they seem really scary! I have often been disappointed with zombies recently (apart from the ones in CoD 5's bonus mode: they're really creepy, especially when you get up close to one and can see all its medals and insignia!). Do all the zombies run? I'd prefer it if it was more varied, like in CoD 5: some run, some shamble. There is nothing more creepy than a horde of shambling zombies: you know you're going to die, but it takes time for them all to get you; if they all sprang on you in a second, it wouldn't have the same effect for me. Chances are I'll buy this and/or CoD 4 (got CoD 5 on PS3, so will get it on PC when it comes down a lot ), to test run my new 4850...

One other thing: is it the same if you're not using a headset? I found them to be moderately annoying in CoD 5 PS3, as you can very rarely understand what the hell people are saying: they're most likely speaking far too close to the mike.

In this game, you're not permanently stuck inside a safehouse, are you? That does get a little bit tiresome after a while in CoD 5. And does CoD 4 have a bonus mode with zombies or something or other? Also, how is it for kids? My nephew is not scared at all by the zombies in CoD 5, but if these are far scarier, then he'll have to accept the fact that he ain't playing it!! I don't want the lil' guy getting nightmares after all...

Anyway, when I get it, I'll be sure to let you guys know my ingame name, so we can meet up for a game!

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
The maps are slightly tiresome now, but I hear they're bringing out DLC for Xbox 360. Awesome game, probably multi-player of the year, its awesome how 4 mates can get together and just kick the absolute bollocks out of zombies. Tanks are things which if, as a team, you don't gel, will just kill you all.

AND, remember, turn your torches off and give Witches no inclination of your being! If she glances your way, hope one of your team-mates is watching, else you're dead!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I read somewhere that Valve will make more maps for PC version, have they released any yet?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
For TF2, Valve released only a couple of new maps and added tournament mode in the first 6 months. In the next six months, they added new weapons and achievements to the Medic, Pyro and Heavy, added 2 game modes, 7 Valve maps and 3 community maps.

I imagine similar update plans for L4D. There will probably be new weapons, campaigns, possibly new zombies, but it's only been three months. Updates are a much more long term thing.

pingusten

Club Cricketer
The SDK, a new game mode, and the two versus maps which arent used yet are coming the in the 'Survival pack' which is coming out in the Spring. That means that custom maps will be on offer for PC users, so the possibilty of more replayability.

No price has been set for the 360 version, Microsoft will no doubt charge for it though. The PC content will be free.

Left 4 Dead DLC includes 'Survivor' mode, 2 full campaigns - Network World

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's interesting to note that the AI Director doesn't need a specially designed map to function. It can theoretically take any old Counter-Strike map and spawn zombies intelligently.

Users who are viewing this thread