Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Surprisingly, i haven't noticed much of a difference with the new teams and skills. The batsmen still got out at mid on and mid off. I had selected a grassy pitch

Surprisingly, i haven't noticed much of a difference with the new teams and skills. The batsmen still got out at mid on and mid off. I had selected a grassy pitch

I think what people need to do is take 2 teams and play around with stats and play a few sessions with those teams and see how changing attributes effects the gameplay. If you are still not seeing any difference with Blockers teams try setting the top 5/6 batsman attributes really low ( 5 increments) and you will definitely notice the difference. It plays like a completely different game and has personally taken bowling from a frustrating, going through the motions experience to a very realistic one in which slips actually serve a purpose.

A very good example of this came in a game I'm currently playing. I had just got the opposition down to 76-3 and for the first time since owning DBC I actually had the confidence to set a very aggressive field (5 slips) as the game was at a point that a couple of quick wickets would really put things in my favour ( it was their seconds innings and they had gone in 60 or so runs ahead). Sure enough the gamble paid off, I rolled them out for 170ish and apart from one all the wickets felt genuine. This would not have happened without lowering the attributes.

An example of how over-powered the attributes are is that it only takes roughly 15 increments of batting attributes in total to turn a bowler into an all-rounder. If you look at that as 15 giving a batting average of around 20 you will realise that it will not take many more to bring the average up to say 40. I'm currently testing a system where every run in a batsman's batting average equals one increment. So for example a batting average of 36 would be 36 increments. So I will assign 5 each for bf/ff leaving 26 to spread across the other attributes.

The results through simulating were only just slightly lower than realistic so I bumped them up a little but I found that it only required a couple of increments to get it up to where I wanted. It does mean though that players have low helmet ratings and teams have low star ratings but it's playing like a dream.

What I have found so far is that more than 55 increments in total is probably too much, and keeping everyone below 50 so far seems to be working. Also don't go over 10 increments for any individual attribute as it appears to make the AI too aggressive and the balance starts to be lost.

The idea of this thread is now that we know the attributes need to be lowered is for people to go out there and experiment for themselves as it is a time consuming exercise due to the length of the matches but usually just playing a session will give you a fair idea of how the AI is performing. Hopefully we can then piece this all together and create a system so that we have a game that is balanced between bat and ball and where the individual matters also, so that bowling with a world class bowler will generally lead to taking more wickets than with a part-timer for instance.

I think what people need to do is take 2 teams and play around with stats and play a few sessions with those teams and see how changing attributes effects the gameplay. If you are still not seeing any difference with Blockers teams try setting the top 5/6 batsman attributes really low ( 5 increments) and you will definitely notice the difference. It plays like a completely different game and has personally taken bowling from a frustrating, going through the motions experience to a very realistic one in which slips actually serve a purpose.

A very good example of this came in a game I'm currently playing. I had just got the opposition down to 76-3 and for the first time since owning DBC I actually had the confidence to set a very aggressive field (5 slips) as the game was at a point that a couple of quick wickets would really put things in my favour ( it was their seconds innings and they had gone in 60 or so runs ahead). Sure enough the gamble paid off, I rolled them out for 170ish and apart from one all the wickets felt genuine. This would not have happened without lowering the attributes.

An example of how over-powered the attributes are is that it only takes roughly 15 increments of batting attributes in total to turn a bowler into an all-rounder. If you look at that as 15 giving a batting average of around 20 you will realise that it will not take many more to bring the average up to say 40. I'm currently testing a system where every run in a batsman's batting average equals one increment. So for example a batting average of 36 would be 36 increments. So I will assign 5 each for bf/ff leaving 26 to spread across the other attributes.

The results through simulating were only just slightly lower than realistic so I bumped them up a little but I found that it only required a couple of increments to get it up to where I wanted. It does mean though that players have low helmet ratings and teams have low star ratings but it's playing like a dream.

What I have found so far is that more than 55 increments in total is probably too much, and keeping everyone below 50 so far seems to be working. Also don't go over 10 increments for any individual attribute as it appears to make the AI too aggressive and the balance starts to be lost.

The idea of this thread is now that we know the attributes need to be lowered is for people to go out there and experiment for themselves as it is a time consuming exercise due to the length of the matches but usually just playing a session will give you a fair idea of how the AI is performing. Hopefully we can then piece this all together and create a system so that we have a game that is balanced between bat and ball and where the individual matters also, so that bowling with a world class bowler will generally lead to taking more wickets than with a part-timer for instance.
You Really Hit the Point.

I'm currently playing England V Australia on a pristine pitch and currently Australia are 59/4, all of the wickets have been taken in Mid on and Mid off, had a few edges which dropped short. My question is, if I take say England and pitch them against India or New Zealand who haven't had their stats changed am I likely to have an unbalanced game?.

This thread is precisely the reason why I have got a rejuvenated interest in this game. Surely Gonna Install it after finals and try these settings. As many people are reporting, the bowling experience is going pretty good... this with the added patch two would make it a dream video game perhaps... Gosh I just got so excited...

Just a question to all who is trying this experiment
Now Having Rating 3 at max makes the game interesting for a batsmen/Bowler to make it competitive like in Real life instead of having 5 or we should not go higher than 2.

I'm currently playing England V Australia on a pristine pitch and currently Australia are 59/4, all of the wickets have been taken in Mid on and Mid off, had a few edges which dropped short. My question is, if I take say England and pitch them against India or New Zealand who haven't had their stats changed am I likely to have an unbalanced game?.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. So are you asking how it would play if you took England with changes as mentioned then took another team but don't change the attributes? If so and you were to play as England then when you bowl the game will play as before ( overly aggressive, cheap wickets etc) but if England were the AI team then you would get the benefits of the lowered attributes, but most probably get them out for a lowish score due to your bowlers being too overpowered plus without lowering swing you are still going to have the issue of not making the AI play the ball.

Hope that makes sense. You say all your wickets have been taken at mid-on/off, that suggests to me 2 things, ff/bf attributes are too high/low and that you have not reduced the running/ acceleration attributes. It's still very much trial and error so I cannot say for certain.[DOUBLEPOST=1429504035][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just a question to all who is trying this experiment
Now Having Rating 3 at max makes the game interesting for a batsmen/Bowler to make it competitive like in Real life instead of having 5 or we should not go higher than 2.

Sorry you have lost me man. What do you mean by rating 3, 5 etc? Are you referring to the swing/ drift?

Im sorry to didn't explain it better im referring to swing/ drift and other skills for bowler / batsmen

No worries man, you can set the swing however you wish to be honest but having it low means a tighter line towards off-stump which means the batsmen have to play at the ball more often. With inswing what I found was that even just 2 increments swung the ball from off to just outside leg, so to set a set a bowler who swung the ball from off to middle you would need to only assign 1 increment of inswing. Similar with drift. The other attributes spin, cut seam etc. can be set quite a bit higher but too high and you are going to skittle teams and too low and it's going to be a struggle.

So I'll use Australia as an example.

Johnson: out:1, in:1, seam&cut: 14
Harris: out: 4, in:2, seam&cut: 12
Starc: out: 7,in:4, seam&cut:11
Watson: out 4,in:3, seam&cut:10

So you can see they all vary slightly which gives them slightly different roles in the team and will also see conditions play a part in their effectiveness. Starc for example having inswing set to 4 means you have a bowler that swings the ball away from left-handed batman. While Johnson's inswing rating of 1 means that he has an inswinger that will hit middle stump which is deadly against right-handed batman especially as a yorker.

Similarly with spin:

Smith: drift:2, all other attributes 8 apart from googly which is zero as Smith doesn't bowl them as far as I know.
Maxwell: drift 0, AOA: 8

These are set low because they are only part-time bowlers. While a good spin bowler would be set more like this: Drift 0, AOA:14.

Drift is set low for similar reasons to the low swing ratings.

Last edited:
Im afraid Unless BA fixes this issue the only workaround would be Rework of entire teams abilities/attributes in the near future

Im afraid Unless BA fixes this issue the only workaround would be Rework of entire teams abilities/attributes in the near future
I am pretty sure whole PC community would be eager to do it to get a 'realistic' experience for themselves and others (haha)

Users who are viewing this thread