Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I remember in Cricket 07 they had "Strike bowler" and "Partnership breaker" "Defensive Wall", "Trickster", although I have no idea what difference they actually made.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
No idea, but it's just a starting point whereby setting those attributes mean something, rather than... not doing anything that I can see within the game. Just odd to me they're all batting related, nothing for the other 2/3rds of the sport!

[HASHTAG]#Niggles[/HASHTAG]

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I see, well not so much recognised batsman on the same team, but a recognised batsman on different teams should have a subtle difference, as say Vusi Sibanda being easier to dismiss than Alistair Cook, even though they are in the same role. I just wonder if finding the holy grail AI wise leads to too much uniformity in different teams.

Try this experiment. Take the top six batsmen of a team and set 1, 3 and 5 like this : BF/FF :10 straight: 10, flat: 9 off/on:2, consistency: 15 and set batsmen 2,4 and 6 up : BF/FF:6 straight:7, flat:6, off/on: 0, consistency: 12.

Make them all the same type and bowl against them. 8 times out of ten you will find the batsmen with the higher rating will outscore the lower rated ones. Once you realise this you can set up teams accordingly.

I can set the attributes up so that a batsman with an average of 45 regularly scores more runs than a batsman with an average of 25 but what I have been concentrating on recently is cutting down on the cheap wickets and getting the gameplay to feel more cricket-like while at the same time getting the AI to score competitive totals on pro.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Try this experiment. Take the top six batsmen of a team and set 1, 3 and 5 like this : BF/FF :10 straight: 10, flat: 9 off/on:2, consistency: 15 and set batsmen 2,4 and 6 up : BF/FF:6 straight:7, flat:6, off/on: 0, consistency: 12.

Make them all the same type and bowl against them. 8 times out of ten you will find the batsmen with the higher rating will outscore the lower rated ones. Once you realise this you can set up teams accordingly.

I can set the attributes up so that a batsman with an average of

Mate such a good session with those skills you suggested.

Stuck it in a fresh thread. But was ideal!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I can set the attributes up so that a batsman with an average of 45 regularly scores more runs than a batsman with an average of 25 but what I have been concentrating on recently is cutting down on the cheap wickets and getting the gameplay to feel more cricket-like while at the same time getting the AI to score competitive totals on pro.

Outstanding work

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
I've been playing a bit with the attributes set up in a very similar manner to Cricketgods. Overall I would say the gameplay is probably about as good as it can be and have been getting a few edges even on batting tracks in clear conditions. For the time being I have it set up as follows for recognised batsmen:

BF/FF: 6-10
Straight: 8-11
Flat: 6-10
Off/On: 0-2

This still doesn't stop the common issues but for me it certainly is an improvement. The other thing I have just started doing is playing without the bowling meter. I really think this enhances the bowling experience and certainly doesn't take anything away from it. I was surprised by the low number of no-balls I bowled and you get a greater variation in bowling speeds as you are not always hitting the green zone. It feels really good and you notice the difference when you bowl a good ball. I would definitely recommend it.

Nice to hear it works for all. I have tried a lot of combinations last week trying to get a balance as at pro edges can be too easy once you master the art of bowling at these settings.Generally i have one batsman say root or smith at 2 bars at highest point a bar above middle.i think This is the most we can get out of this version of dbc.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Nice to hear it works for all. I have tried a lot of combinations last week trying to get a balance as at pro edges can be too easy once you master the art of bowling at these settings.Generally i have one batsman say root or smith at 2 bars at highest point a bar above middle.i think This is the most we can get out of this version of dbc.

Have you tried reducing the seam and spin ratings at all. This is pretty much why I have started playing without the meter now, otherwise it's too easy to bowl good deliveries every time so I figured that less good deliveries should result in better scores from the AI.

Last edited:

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
Have you tired reducing the seam and spin ratings at all. This is pretty much why I have started playing without the meter now, otherwise it's too easy to bowl good deliveries every time so I figured that less good deliveries should result in better scores from the AI.
Yes i do play with reduced spin and swing.I guess I have to reduce it even more.Also I am unsure about consistency and armspeed for batsman .I will try to experiment with them in my next play through.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Yes i do play with reduced spin and swing.I guess I have to reduce it even more.Also I am unsure about consistency and armspeed for batsman .I will try to experiment with them in my next play through.

I meant reduced seam. The consistency seems to relate to the AI's consistency with their shots so lowering it see's a variation in shot power and direction. Armspeed for batsmen is not something I have looked at as I have related it to bowling speeds for bowlers or throwing speeds for fielders. It's definitely worth looking at though.

steve121157

Banned
Can someone please give me the original mentality settings (Precise, Opportunist etc) for the England & Australia players listed below.
I've been experimenting with some of the skill settings suggested, but now want to revert to the original mentality settings.

England Lyth, Cook, Bell, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Wood, Broad, Anderson, Finn, Moeen Ali, Rashid
Australia Warner, S.Marsh, Smith, Clarke, Voges, M.Marsh, Haddin, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon, Watson, Siddle, Rogers

Does having the original mentality settings make much of a difference to the game?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Does having the original mentality settings make much of a difference to the game?
Thanks for any help.

Not a huge difference. Some batsman types will favour particular shots, aggressive/brute will generally score at a quicker rate but again not by a great margin.

As for the original mentality settings I wouldn't know as I constantly change them. Warner and Johnson I have set to brute and Haddin and Stokes aggressive but not sure about the others

steve121157

Banned
I'm becoming baffled by the skill settings.
I've just tried this out of curiosity.
England and Australia batting skills all set to zero, bowling skills left unchanged.
Anticipation and consistency of both teams all on 11 (middle setting) Mentality of all players conservative.
Pro level Test match, spectate.

After 40 overs this is Australia's card.

148 for 4
Run rate is 3.70

Warner run out 64
Rogers run out 28
Smith b Wood 4
Clarke ct Buttler b Wood 36
Voges 8 not out
Marsh 7 not out

The score seems fairly realistic (maybe not to fans of Australia) but with zero batting skill settings.
Does this mean the batting skills don't make much difference?
I'll set up another test with the same settings and compare the scores after 40 overs.

Last edited:

cyrushanleone

School Cricketer
Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but in order to download the teams with adjusted skills, do I have to individually download each team on mrdconnors to overwrite or is there a way I can update in mass bulk. Any chance the "replace all teams with the best version" option will fix this with the lowered stats?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Its been stated many times, 0 does not mean 0, it gives the attribute a random amount...

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
For many this may not be a revolutionary suggestion, but it may help some people with the aim of making bowling more enjoyable. I've been playing a few four day games and in the middle of one decided to turn off the bowling assists (I did keep the audio assist on although I think I'd turn it off at some point). I was apprehensive at first, but second over I took three wickets in four balls (it was actually about 6 balls but 2 or 3 were no balls). Whilst it can be a little frustrating (lots of no balls) I found it to be a far more enjoyable experience.

You don't bowl 5/6 good/perfect balls per over. If I was lucky it was more like 2/3. The impact on the AI batting has been a better run rate and variety in shots because they have bad balls to hit. This was most significant with spin bowlers. I've always found it to be too easy to dry up the runs with spinners, but they were smashing me all around the park at first.

Anyway, after that experiment I turned off the batting assist for the final innings of this match. I had 142 to chase and won by 4 wickets. I must say this was the most satisfying innings I've had as a batsman. I now can't wait to try out a full game with no safety blankets. Only alteration I may make it increasing the arm speed of some bowlers because those bad balls are about 5mph slower which I don't think it wholly realistic.

So, in short. If you want a more enjoyable experience see how turning off the assists help. It's made bowling and batting far more interesting for me and even though I didn't think it possible made me love this game just a little bit more..

Users who are viewing this thread