Mike Hussey retires

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think he has had his glory days. Plus, he was nearing 40 too. Nevertheless, he was still in good form. I expect Usman Khwaja to replace him now.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Michael Hussey, one of the hardest working cricketers the world has ever known. He made his Test debut after 10 years of first-class cricket during which he scored over 10,000 runs but the Aussie side was so strong that he was never made to play earlier. Many other players would have given up hope of a Test career but 'Mr.Cricket' didn't and he did a brilliant bit for Australian cricket over the last 8/9 years when he was finally considered for national selection. He's been in great form of late so I respect his decision to go when people ask why rather than why not. Goodbye to a true legend of the game :thumbs. I hope he plays on in domestic cricket because I just love watching this fella play :D.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
My favourite player retires from cricket. Thanks Hussey for making cricket so fun to watch. You always looked like you enjoyed playing for Australia, every minute was important to you. Your pull shot and cover drive, which was something I could watch for hours on end was always something I tried to emulate when playing cricket. I wish you stayed around for another year and help win us the Ashes twice and become almost play 90 Test matches for your country but you've decided the right time is now. Thanks for everything, enjoy retirement!

Last edited:

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
he could play 2 more years :(

Everyone isn't like Tendulkar who's overstayed his welcome in international cricket with his form waning and reflexes slowing greatly due to his age. If you're really a fan of Hussey, you should want him to bow out in style when he's in good form rather than when he ages and is not of much use for his team.

S

Satan666

Really the real'Mr Cricket', excellent legend of the modern era. Fine test cricket batsman and a great ODI player, great fielder also.

Hussey=best12

Club Cricketer
The retirement of Hussey tells us the retirement gods have found the final piece of their puzzle which pieces together the (what I think) our best 21st century test team who retired in their 30s.
By saying this the team that I think are:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath
12th Man: Kasparowicz

Michael Hussey will always be known as the saviour, the warrior, the man who will put the team ahead of himself. He is in the ranks of those players that you can rely on to bat to save your life and the player that is always known as..MR CRICKET. His passion and experience will be sorely missed on and off the field. Been a sad summer for Cricket Australia really. First it was Ricky Ponting announces his retirement, then it was Greigy's passing RIP and now Hussey retiring. This is as sad as when Langer, McGrath, Warne and Martyn retired at the same times during and after the Ashes series in 06'. I will miss the times when the team is down and struggling to rebuild and he comes onto the middle and saves us. E.g. T20 World Cup vs Pakistan, Hussey smashing Saeed Ajmal for a six to win the match when we were pretty down and out. MIKE HUSSEY = LEGEND, HERO....MR CRICKET!!

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I just saw the article pop up on cricinfo and I am literally speechless. He deserves to go out on top however.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
bit of an odd one, I really thought hussey would stay until he was pushed. having waited so long to get into the side I didn't think he'd ever be in the position that he'd want to call time on his international career before he had to.

he's just scored three hundreds this summer, admittedly he's always done much better home than away so perhaps was making a decision about his ability to last a whole other year but I still think this feels premature. dravid, chanderpaul and waugh all managed to keep on scoring past 37, funnily enough, cricketers I feel he shares more in common with than ponting, tendulkar and lara. no reason he couldn't have managed it, especially since he doesn't have 20 years of cricket beginning to take it's toll on him.

though maybe, perhaps unlike kallis, lara, tendulkar, dravid, ponting, laxman etc because he didn't spend his early life touring from country to country with only a short break in between, and maybe he found the experience a little more wearing than some of those guys did. I know if I started life as an international cricketer tomorrow I'd feel a bit shell shocked all of a sudden spending 6 months of the year in foreign countries.

anyway, he was always my favourite player from the australian team that dominated teams because he lacked the air of entitlement, he was proud of the hard work he did to get there and knew he deserved his place. and then when they began rebuilding my favourite player from that reign too, he wanted to take the reigns and become a senior player for the team, and for the most part did quite well.

he was a great guy, pretty sad to see him go.

Users who are viewing this thread