The PlanetCricket View: "mini"

Article by AngryAngy -

Mini_cooper_1985.jpg

I’d like to place a moratorium on the use of this word.

The last straw? Australian coach Tim Nielsen describing the forthcoming match against India as a “mini-grand final”. Indeed, it is one of the more important matches in the tournament without being the most important, but I would previously have figured that the term “quarter final” covered that perfectly.

Clearly, I was wrong. I understand now that words that don’t have “mini” appended to them are worthless. To go with existing “mini-battles”, “mini-collapses” and of course “mini-grand finals”, we could call ODIs “mini-Tests”, tailenders could be mini-batsmen and fours could be “mini-sixes” (DLF Mini-Maximums, for you IPL fans).

“Mini” is evidently a more popular term than “carve”, “smear”, “smite”, “elegant”, “jaffa”, “targeting”, “underdog”, “minnow”, “choke” and even “tracer bullet” on cricinfo. This is a ninja among clich?s, which I guess is obvious as mini can easily hide in small spaces. Before you know it, captains will be lamenting their failure to execute mini-plans and mini-skills.

No! Enough is enough. We must revolt.

We can’t burn the lexicon and write it anew, but we can shake our pitchforks disapprovingly. If we abstain from this infectious prefix, maybe we can save future generations from its blight. There is still hope for them. Mini-hope.

More...

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
not to be picky, but I believe the implication is which ever team wins should make the final or even possibly win it. like if federer and nadal were facing off in the quarters of a tennis tournament.

which in itself I have a lot of issues with, especially given south africa and sri lanka were arguably higher up the favourites tree than australia. And pakistan had already beat australia.

but playing down your chances has never been on the australian agenda.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'm sure they know Pakistan is a big threat to either side (whether they admit it or not), but what stands out about this match is that it will probably be played before a big and partisan crowd, perhaps actually bigger than any other final given the capacity at Motera.

Whatever the implication, it's certainly oxymoronic and jokes aside, that's more what this is about. Let's seek to ridicule mindless and clich? comments, instead of tolerating and even imitating them.

Users who are viewing this thread