Minor Counties season 2008

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The minor counties can be discussed in this thread.

For those of you who don't know (probably those of you from other countries than Britain), there are 20 minor counties. Minor counties are county cricket teams that do not have first class status.

A 3 day competition is played annually, the Minor Counties Cricket Championship, and has been played (barring the two World Wars) every year since 1895. As the players have day jobs, they cannot travel all over the country for away games so the championship is split into two regional divisions, the East and the West.

There is also a One Day competition, the Minor Counties Cricket Association Knock Out Trophy. It has been played since 1983 and is a straight knock out with the final at Lord's.

Some minor counties have gone on to be first class counties. Worcestershire in 1899, Northamptonshire in 1905, Glamorgan in 1921 and Durham in 1992.

The 20 minor counties are:

Berkshire
Bedfordshire
Buckinghamshire
Cheshire
Cornwall
Cambridgeshire
Cumberland
Devon
Dorset
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire
Lincolnshire
Norfolk
Northumberland
Oxfordshire
Shropshire
Staffordshire
Suffolk
Wales Minor Counties (a collection of all the Welsh counties except Glamorgan)
Wiltshire

My team, Norfolk, have just had a blip in their season. They lost to Devon in the semi-finals of the MCCA Knock Out Trophy by 52 runs. This was disappointing after we managed to bowl them out for just 190. We were dreadful to end up 138 all out.

Norfolk won the MCCA Knock Out Trophy in 2005, I remember it well, the final at Lord's was postponed due to rain and was relocated to Slough. It ended up as the hottest day of the year and we thrashed the opposition. We got close this year, but Devon go on to face Berkshire.

We are currently third from last in the Eastern division of the championship, with a home match against Cumberland starting on Monday. I'm going along to watch. Our home ground is the same one I play on for the Horsford Under 17s!

All of the information about the minor counties is here.

Users who are viewing this thread