Mitchell Johnson: Australia's new all-rounder?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I wouldn't mind giving him a go up the order in the ODI side as he seems to play spin very well and can hit it far when hes in.

Mr.Cricket

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Looking forward to the battle between Mitch and Flintoff in the next Ashes. If Mitch can do better than Freddie I think we can start calling him an all rounder.

Ps - Mitchy > Flintoff > Others:D

bladescape

Club Cricketer
I reckon Johnson proved himself with that performance.
He can now be called a bowling allrounder at least!!!

jordox

International Cricketer
Johnson > Vettori.

At least to watch, anyway.

irottev

School Cricketer
I like watching Vettori bat because no one else plays like he does. He's so unorthodox it's quite different haha.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
His batting average (34.70) is better that his bowling average (28.01) in test match cricket, so yes, he is classed as an all-rounder statically. Whether he actually is a genuine all-rounder or now (I would argue he is a bowling allrounder, but I want him to be first and foremost a bowler who can chip in with the bat) everyone has a different opinion.

Jakester1288 added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Vettori > Mitchy > Flintoff > Others TBH

I don't really like Flintoff, and at the moment he isn't really fit for extended periods of time. I reckon Johnson will end up with a much better record with the bat then Vettori, and is certainly better to watch, but whether he is a better batsmen or not, I can't decide.

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
I cant call him an allrounder yet
Not until he can do this sort of batting in ODI's doesnt need centuries but quick 30's+
When he trys to score quick early in his innings he gets out easily.
Once hes set an been in there a long time like in tests he can be very destructive.

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
I hope aussie he can handle the tag of Allrounder, else he would end up as another Irfan Pathan. that would be very sad, as there is nothing better in world cricket than genuine quick bowling.(Ask Graeme Smith:D)

syndex

School Cricketer
Mitchy vs. Freddie as a head-to-head matchup for all-rounder would be good to see - as others have said, based on current form and potential, Johnson looks like he's got what it takes to get there.

I'm more interested to see Mitchell Johnson vs. Kevin Pietersen - there will be fireworks in this matchup, and will be quite something to watch. Bring it on!! :D

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Mitchell Johnson ? Australia?s New All rounder Sensation

Australia has produced some of the best batsman, bowlers, wicket keepers, wicket keeper batsman of the world in its cricket history. However the same cannot be said of All Rounders in terms of the Class of Sobers, Imran, Kapil Dev, Sir Ian Botham Sir Richard Hadlee although in the distant past they did have some world class All Rounders in the likes of Keith Miller, Richie Benaud to name a few.

So the heroics of Mitchell Johnson both the bat and ball against the Springboks does augurs well for Australia and it appears that a genuine All rounder is born.

Just look at his stats for Bat and Ball in the series.

Bowlingwise he is tied with Dale Steyn with 16 wickets but with a better economy rate of 2.87 as against 3.61 of the latter.

Battingwise he scored 255 runs with a Highest score of 123, one hundred and one fifty (96 almost a hundred) with incredible Average and SR of 85 and 84.71 respectively.

I don’t know what more he needs to prove to stake his claim as an All Rounder.

The performance is all the more important as it was against Quality Bowling – DW Steyn, M Ntini ,M Morkel and not to forget Paul Harris.

Also batting at # 8 and fighting it out in a losing battle with not much tailenders left also reflected his Never Say Die approach.

Both his innings (96 not out in the first test and 123 unconquered in the second one) are worth its weight in gold and I am sure cricket fans all over the world will remember it for a long time.

At the end of the test series his overall test record for both batting and bowling looks healthy and gives the impression of that of an All Rounder as records below testify :

Batting

21 matches – 694 runs, HS: 123*, Ave: 34.70, SR: 6286, 100:1. 50:3

Bowling

21 matches – 94 wickets, Best Bowling in an Innings: 8/61, Best Bowling in a match 11/159, Ave: 28.01 Economy Rate: 2.97:

It must have been a great sight for cricket fans all over the world to see him complete his century with a six against Dale Steyn probably the best pace bowler in the world today.

My understanding is if he can bat and bowl so well against the second best cricket team in the world there is no reason he cannot perform similarly or better against the rest.

Hat’s off to Mitchell! Everyone is proud of your glorious performance.

One hopes Mitchell Johnson will emulate his all round heroics in One dayers as well .

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread