Most humiliating World Cup defeat?

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
1999 WC final was one of the most humiliating defeat by Pakistan in WC.

Did think of that one, but then if I just listed every humiliation then it would just be an article not a discussion I guess

----------

Pakistan v Ireland also stands out for me.

Ireland certainly caused an upset, but it was what by three wickets in a rain reduced match? It was a close contest, not sure it was that humiliating given Ireland are and were one of the stronger non-Test nations and Pakistan haven't been a truly strong ODI outfit for some years

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
He's talking about how Namibia got completely thrashed by Australia and that despite them being minnows it would still be incredibly humiliating.

Yes, Australia thrashed Namibia by huge 256 runs margin. Quite a humiliating defeat indeed.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Did think of that one, but then if I just listed every humiliation then it would just be an article not a discussion I guess.

To me that 99 WC final was far more humiliating then even loosing to Ireland. We can call Ireland defeating Pakistan an "upset" rather then a humiliating defeat but 99 WC was in a true sense a "humiliating defeat" because Pakistan was consider to be the most strongest team in the WC and there performance was as bad as a minnow's performance and that too in a WC final.

Gurjot95

National Board President
Yes, Australia thrashed Namibia by huge 256 runs margin. Quite a humiliating defeat indeed.
India too defeated Bermuda by 257 runs in 2007 WC but since those two came against minnows, that wasn't much of humiliating. 1983 final is probably the biggest upset in World Cup. Definitely humiliating for West Indies.

Last edited:

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India too defeated Bermuda by 257 runs in 2007 WC but since those two came against minnows, that wasn't much of humiliating. 1983 final is probably the biggest upset in World Cup. Definitely humiliating for West Indies.

Yes this is another excellent post. Yes this must be humiliating for Westindies considering their perfomance in that WC and in past WCs

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Yes this is another excellent post. Yes this must be humiliating for Westindies considering their perfomance in that WC and in past WCs

I agree. What a force was West Indies then. Wow! What a line-up they had.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Haha, yes that brings back good memories. The first WC I ever watched. How on earth did England make the final again?? :D

Owzat

International Coach
Haha, yes that brings back good memories. The first WC I ever watched. How on earth did England make the final again?? :D

England were the best side at the tournament, that was an aberration. England should have won the competition, Pakistan should have been out but for rain when they were skittled for 74 and England were 24/1 off eight overs in reply. West Indies would have gone through but for that point Pakistan gained.

Fairbrother, a player too many leave out of their best England XI was awesome, the balance of the side was right but it just went wrong in the final.

1992 World Cup

Fairbrother : 285 runs @ 57.00
Stewart : 259 runs @ 37.00
Smith : 193 runs @ 32.17

Reeve : 79 runs @ 39.50 & 8 wkts @ 15.75
Hick : 264 runs @ 33.00 & 2 wkts @ 35.00
Botham : 192 runs @ 21.33 & 16 wkts @ 19.13
Lewis : 81 runs @ 20.25 & 7 wkts @ 30.57
Illingworth : 27 runs @ 13.50 & 8 wkts @ 31.25
DeFreitas : 16 runs @ 4.00 & 11 wkts @ 29.00
Small : 5 runs @ 5.00 & 5 wkts @ 25.40

Of course remembering that in those days it was much different, 250 was a good score and batting not so easy. While I'm critical of the side for losing to Zimbabwe, I do recognise they were a strong side then.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Yeah Pakistan certainly got lucky in 1992. Had they not got the wash out in Adelaide against England Australia would've snuck through. Which would?ve created an interesting scenario, Australia would've had to then play New Zealand in Auckland again in the Semi Final

That would've been mouthwatering

Users who are viewing this thread