Your Cricket My first cricket season, ever!

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So I have registered to play for a club, at seniors level (over 16s) and I have never played cricket before. Compared to everybody else in the club who have been playing for at least a few years. Probably will be selected for the lowest division which I consider a good thing.

Been training for the last 4 weeks and tbh I am horrible. I have experimented with every bowling delivery I know and so far my best one is as a leggy. Although I am pretty excited about my new short ball (could go head high), though I get smashed because of the lack of pace. And my batting against the quickies isn't too flash either (most of the time I just try to keep the balls out), but I am pretty good against the spinners, play them like fast bowlers in the backyard :sarcasm, got the sweeps and everything :D.

Well my first game is next Saturday and i think it would be a limited overs one. If anybody here has tips for a beginner playing their first game at senior level, it would be greatly appreciated :yes

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Senior level will mean any age, just based on ability wouldn't it? I guess it works differently everywhere.

Good luck for your first season, I'll post any advice if I think of any :p

TumTum

International Cricketer
Senior level will mean any age, just based on ability wouldn't it? I guess it works differently everywhere.

Yep, we have 4 levels in our district i think.

Gazza said:
Danced down the wicket, and watched on as the ball sailed.........through my gate and the keeper took the bails off!

I don't think I'll be trying that then :p That was in under 11's so isn't that bad.

BTW do you still play cricket?

kifty121

School Cricketer
train ur nuts off!
its very likely ul just be a spare fielder fo the day as well. happens all the time until u properly establish urself, whther it be with a 1 off hundred, or lots of pretty 20s and 30s. or if ur a bowler, a 5fer in one game or 2 or 3 wickets per game over a few weeks.

as i said b4, practice hard to get a job in ur team. not just be a fielder.
appreciate every aspect of cricket, afterall, it is the sport we al have a passion for, right?
this is why paul collingwood is a legend, he can do medium pace bowling, spin bowling, bat agressively, bat out for the draw, and keep wicket. (test match agaisnt west indies 2009)
this is clearly a amn who appreciates his cricket in general, not just batting or bowling.

plus he is a quality fielder. :D

AdvancedCricket

School Cricketer
hey good on you for starting up!

I remember my frist game when I was really young just making up the numbers as they were short. Had to bat with wicket keeping pads as they had nothing else my size!!

If you were looking for tips on improving your skills, I'm looking to start up a site to create a place for people to learn how to improve. Take a look : YouTube - AdvancedCricket1's Channel

I haven't uploaded any of my own videos as yet as they are work in progress, but leave a comment on my channel for what you would like to see/learn and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks and good luck in your first season.

Watson33

Club Cricketer
Just take every signle piece of advice you are given, thats my advice! Also, master the basic stance and grip and use it for life! I tried to mess around with my stance (Opening and closing it) and it just messed me around! But take whatever advice you are given, and if given a chance to bat up the order, take it! And best of luck to you my friend!

TumTum

International Cricketer
Finally played a game and we won! :D

Didn't get a chance to bat but I did bowl 6 overs and took 1 wicket. Bowled pretty rubbish most of the time but when I got it right I felt I was mighty unlucky.

Anyways it was great fun.

TumTum

International Cricketer
A club at the Ballarat district. (My identity will become to obvious If I tell you which one it is :p)

Users who are viewing this thread