New Zealand in South Africa - Dec - Jan 2012/13

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Levi needs to go fix his flaws I think. He has been exposed at International level he should be dropped.

Ye, i was waiting to see how Henry Davids would bat in the second game to make a firm assessment. And would keep him opening & drop Levi for sure.

So we looking at: Davids, Du Plessis, De Kock, Duminy, De Villiers, Miller, A Morkel, Morris, Peterson, Steyn M Morkel.

Backups: Behradin/Ingram, Wiese, McLaren/Klienvelt, Van Der Merwe

close outsiders: De Lange, Kuhn, Vilas, Harmer, Van Der Wath

spooony

Club Captain
I am still wondering how NZ are going to take 20 wickets in the tests? Going to be over in 4 days IMO

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think the Kiwis bowling will be better than their batting. They don't have a good spinner, but SA don't really have a good one either. Boult and Southee have had some good moments this year.

spooony

Club Captain
I think the Kiwis bowling will be better than their batting. They don't have a good spinner, but SA don't really have a good one either. Boult and Southee have had some good moments this year.

Steyn Morkel Philander = 127 wickets in 11 tests
Bracewell Southee Boult = 73 wickets in 10 tests

We are playing in SA. Not much dust bowls here for spinners. Its a spinners graveyard. Kiwi's only daylight will be doing something in a T20 game which is backyard BS before getting destroyed in the tests. Saying this will probably come back to haunt me like usual.....

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Steyn Morkel Philander = 127 wickets in 11 tests
Bracewell Southee Boult = 73 wickets in 10 tests

We are playing in SA. Not much dust bowls here for spinners. Its a spinners graveyard. Kiwi's only daylight will be doing something in a T20 game which is backyard BS before getting destroyed in the tests. Saying this will probably come back to haunt me like usual.....

We all know that SA has best bowling attack in world currently so it is stupid to compare NZ bowling attack with SA attack. Still NZ does have a decent bowling attack that can cause some problems to South Africa if not much.

spooony

Club Captain
We all know that SA has best bowling attack in world currently so it is stupid to compare NZ bowling attack with SA attack. Still NZ does have a decent bowling attack that can cause some problems to South Africa if not much.

Who said it was the best? The English bowling attack did better this year than us. I said I still do not see how NZ going to take 20 wickets. Strike bowlers can not bowl all day. Our batting line up is balanced (thanks to Kallis) and its deep (thanks to De Villiers) That is asking a bit too much of them to take 20 wickets. Just ask Australia

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Bracewell's just woeful at limited overs cricket, I've got no idea why the kept on persisting with him throughout the series. Sure he picked up a few freebies at the end of the last two matches, but trying to hit a good length in T20 cricket just does not work.

Boult will be a massive boost to get back, as well as having Bracewell playing in his favoured format, and it'll be interesting to see with who they go with to replace Southee. If the tracks have a bit in them, we still should be able trouble South Africa at times even without Southee, but I do worry about being able to do it consistently to be able to get 20 wickets.

If we get a past 300 at any stage throughout the series, then our dire batting stocks will probably have cause for celebration.

spooony

Club Captain
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Since Boult and Bracewell debuted late last year New Zealand's pace bowling group has comfortably been the third best in the wolrd behind South Africa and Australia.

With Southee out injured for this series though you probably have a point.

I am talking bowling attack and I am talking about 2012 as how they did the last 12 months will show you form.

I do not see how NZ attack can be third best when their top bowler has taken only 26 wickets. That is way less than than Anderson, Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Broad, Ashwin, Swann, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Roach. In fact its almost been the worse out of everyone not considering Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

----------

Bracewell's just woeful at limited overs cricket, I've got no idea why the kept on persisting with him throughout the series. Sure he picked up a few freebies at the end of the last two matches, but trying to hit a good length in T20 cricket just does not work.

Boult will be a massive boost to get back, as well as having Bracewell playing in his favoured format, and it'll be interesting to see with who they go with to replace Southee. If the tracks have a bit in them, we still should be able trouble South Africa at times even without Southee, but I do worry about being able to do it consistently to be able to get 20 wickets.

If we get a past 300 at any stage throughout the series, then our dire batting stocks will probably have cause for celebration.

South Africa's tracks always have something in for the bowlers as we have the lowest batting averages of all the countries in it the past 10 years. So its a bowlers paradise rather than graveyard

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I do not see how NZ attack can be third best when their top bowler has taken only 26 wickets. That is way less than than Anderson, Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Broad, Ashwin, Swann, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Roach. In fact its almost been the worse out of everyone not considering Bangladesh or Zimbabwe

Quality over quantity.

Southee took 25 wickets @ 22, Boult 22 @ 30. Just because the likes of Anderson and Broad played twice as many matches over the course of the year shouldn't count against them.

spooony

Club Captain
Quality over quantity.

Southee took 25 wickets @ 22, Boult 22 @ 30. Just because the likes of Anderson and Broad played twice as many matches over the course of the year shouldn't count against them.

haha clever but.....

DAJ Bracewell (NZ) @ 37.38
TG Southee (NZ) @ 22.64
TA Boult (NZ) @ 30.77

But Southee
Against SA 0/146 in 36 overs. He picked up his 25 wickets against India 8 and against Sri Lanka 12. Last time I checked Sri Lanka a shadow of them former selves. But thats all irrelevant as Southee is out for the series.

Last edited:

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Really loving Vernon Philander. He now has figures of 4/4! New Zealand in dire straits already.

----------

Philander now has 5 wickets for four runs! This really is amazing.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Ooh, this is bad. Really bad. NZ are 31/7, with Steyn getting his 300th Test wicket. What a crazy morning. Will NZ last the first session of the Test? :facepalm

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
So NZ are all out for 45, within the first 20 overs of the Test match. They've reached a very sad low.

Great bowling from Philander. Can't say enough about this guy. South Africa has a lot to be positive about for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread