Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Are the rules around COVID balls not pretty much similar to ball tampering? Cleaning/replacement of the ball and some sort of run penalty for repeat offences?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The standing umpires are essentially signal robots at the moment. And I don't like it.

I want on field umpires to give a guy run out on first instinct. I want wides to be enforced more. I want bouncers to be proper bouncers, not just this chest high thing
I agree completely with this part...

- Tell me what happens if a player rubs saliva on the ball.
Warning from the Match Referee / Unpire and penalty runs or fine?
Mohommad Amir did that in the ENGvPAK series, but don’t remember any sanctions, although he was warned by the umpires.[DOUBLEPOST=1601044040][/DOUBLEPOST]
- Tell me how great it is to have cricket being played
Pretty frickin awesome! I love every form of cricket, but would’ve liked one more test series to happen before the IPL. Still, great!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
First off, RIP to Dean Jones. Always remembered to me as "that guy who made Ambrose take off his wrist bands" but no doubt a good cricketer.

It's odd that there is a video on CricInfo today about the role of the third umpire.

Technically you can't report a bowler for using saliva but it makes things difficult...asymptomatic spread does happen. But you can warn the bowler and if needed, ban him from bowling I believe. As for someone else touching the ball, I think the current standard is that anyone not within a "bubble" should not be handling the ball so either you use a replacement or you sanitise the ball being used.

I'm so happy to have cricket on tv, it really does make the day more interesting.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Can a bowler take a hattrick with all three batsmen having scored some runs i.e no batsmen being out on 0. All 3 deliveries should be legal and there should be no mandaking involved.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Can a bowler take a hattrick with all three batsmen having scored some runs i.e no batsmen being out on 0. All 3 deliveries should be legal and there should be no mandaking involved.
Yup.

1st wicket on last ball of the over.
Next wicket being in his next over, of the other set batsman being caught and the batsmen crossed.
The third wicket being the non striker on the previous ball.

Of course, they must have made some runs in the previous over.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
Yup.

Next wicket being in his next over, of the other set batsman being caught and the batsmen crossed.

Oops forgot to mention

*In the same over*

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Yup.

Alternatively, taking the last wicket in an innings, and then steps 2 and 3 in Yash's scenario.
Or taking the last wicket in two innings, with two consecutive balls, and then a wicket with your first ball in the third innings.[DOUBLEPOST=1601126564][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oops forgot to mention

*In the same over*
Just saw this

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Oops forgot to mention

*In the same over*
Ball 1 : get a set batsman out caught, non-striker, also set, crosses over
Ball 2 : dismiss the other set batsman
Ball 3 : a batsman who had retired hurt previously comes back out, dismiss him

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@CerealKiller sounds about right. Was going through the scenarios in my head about hat tricks...you know, the usual across days, across innings, across matches even. Thought about an odd thing. A wide doesn't count as a ball in the over, and a wide doesn't count as a ball faced. Imagine a hat trick of stumpings over three wides. That would be interesting...

This question is more of a stats thing than an umpiring thing, but...in the history of Test cricket, what dismissal (as in bowler alone or bowler/particular fielder) has come up the most? I remember that question being asked some years ago on CricInfo and the answer at the time was LBW Muralitharan. That has since changed...so what is it now?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
This question is more of a stats thing than an umpiring thing, but...in the history of Test cricket, what dismissal (as in bowler alone or bowler/particular fielder) has come up the most? I remember that question being asked some years ago on CricInfo and the answer at the time was LBW Muralitharan. That has since changed...so what is it now?
The highest is "run out", followed by (c. Jayawerdene b. Muralidaran) I think

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
caught should be the most considering the nicks and edges to slips, keepers, miss timed slogs, etc

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The most is run out, yes. But I'm not talking about that. I want a specific bowler OR a specific bowler/fielder/WK combination. Caught by someone specific is also what I'm looking for.

Bowled Murali caught Jayawardene is the most caught by a non-wicketkeeper off of a bowler in Tests, but it's not the most common dismissal.

Last edited:

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
The most is run out, yes. But I'm not talking about that. I want a specific bowler OR a specific bowler/fielder/WK combination. Caught by someone specific is also what I'm looking for.

Bowled Murali caught Jayawardene is the most caught by a non-wicketkeeper off of a bowler in Tests, but it's not the most common dismissal.
mcgrath gilchirst?
vaas sangakara?
steyn boucher?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
All of those are up there, but still not even the top if you're talking a bowler and a keeper.

And still not the most common dismissal. Hint hint...it has nothing to do with a fielder.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
mcgrath bowled
jimmy anderson bowled
kumble lbw
warne lbw

Users who are viewing this thread