Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
- In a one-day match (same ball used at both ends), the field is wet and the ball has taken a beating from the batsmen. You call for a replacement before 20 overs are up. Unfortunately none of the replacement balls look in similar condition. They are either way too new or way too old. There is no way that the match can continue with the current ball. What do you do? (Rudi Koertzen, while one of my favourite umpires EVER...was faced with just such a scenario and made a decision that...well...it WAS technically okay...but I did not agree with it...)
Well, I play some rather village cricket, so you pretty much just take what you're given. I know that's a cop out, but I stand by my answer.

- Batsman A and B are at the wicket with 5 overs to go and 8 wickets down in a limited overs match. They are both tail enders and they require some 60-odd runs to win the match and the series (which is currently tied at 2-2). Batsman C, one of the team's stars, has retired hurt earlier and by all reports, is fit to return at the fall of the next wicket. He has a reputation for massive hitting and given similar situations in the past, has proven himself to be more than capable of scoring that much that quickly. Batsmen A and B, while they may get the odd boundary, are in no way scoring near the required asking rate so far. Batsman A clearly gets a yorker that hits pad-first flush in front of the stumps. Nobody appeals. The next ball, batsman A gets a clear nick to the wicketkeeper, who takes it cleanly. Again, nobody appeals. In the next over (run rate now nearing 20) you see a top edge skied that no fielder makes any attempt to catch. Can you intervene?
No, you can only give a batsman out if the fielders appeal. But surely in that situation the batsman would retire out to get him back in?

- The old ball is 80 overs old but is reverse swinging all over the place. The light is good and the seamers are fresh. Naturally, the bowling team declines the offer of the new ball, as while they have not taken a wicket as yet, the batsmen are both clearly troubled to cope with the swing. Things move along, with the movement not letting up. At 105 overs, the bowling team still refuses to take the new ball. You request a change of the old ball with one of comparable wear and tear, and choose an appropriate one. But the batsmen are just as much in trouble. While the bowling is not overtly dangerous as such, there is still a significant risk to the batsmen in your opinion. You state as such to both your colleague and the fielding captain. The captain still refuses to take the new ball. What now?
I believe that the umpire would be frankly wrong to consider reverse swing to be a risk to the batsmen. Especially if they've survived for 25 overs against it. The umpire should be quiet and get on with the game, and the batsmen should stop complaining. And frankly, if no wickets have been taken for 25 overs, the fielding captain should take the new ball.

- A batsman hits the ball into the outfield, where it trickles to a stop. Before the fielder can reach it, however, a dog runs across and grabs the ball and takes it clear across the boundary. That standing batsmen, in between fits of laughter, ask for a four. Is it? (TOO easy...I have to give ONE at least that people can get correct.)
DEAD BALL.

A high-tension match between two rivals is being played. You are the third umpire, thanking the Creator for your time in the box for finally not being out on the field. The standing batsman misses a ball, and you lean back to relax some more until, at the end of the over, one of the television producers asks that you listen to a replay. The replay is that of the same ball that the batsman had missed, where the wicketkeeper clearly addresses the batsman and says more than one racist statement to him, heard via the stump mic. The batsman laughs it off, and the wicketkeeper seems to be laughing as well. No further statements along those lines are said up until that point, and the batsman does not seem to hold any animosity to the keeper. Your two standing colleagues and neither of the other fielders seem to have heard the exchange. In fact, it can almost seem as if it was a joke between the batsman and the keeper. It looks like a joke, as they hug at the end of the over. Can you do anything?
Pass it on to the match referee and let them deal with it. If not possible, arrange a meeting between the standing umpires, batsman, keeper and both captains to emphasise that while it does not seem to have caused any animosity, further such incidents must be avoided, lest the keeper concede five penalty runs for deliberately putting off the batsman.

- The batsman skies the ball. A fielder runs under it and manages to get his hands onto it, but has to juggle. In the process, the ball hits his chin and runs down under his jersey and between the jersey and his body, whereupon he grabs it and pulls it out at his waist. They appeal. Is it out?
OUT. If it hit a helmet, it's dead ball, but clothes are fair game I believe (see Jonathan Trott's catch, and Tillakaratne Dilshan's catch, both of which lodged in clothing before being clutched by the players.

- The last ball before the drinks break is a peach of a delivery, beating the outside edge by the slimmest of margins. During the break, the replays begin showing on the big screen in the ground and the batsman actually seems to have hit it with a very fine edge, which was collected by the wicketkeeper. As the bowler stands at his mark to begin the next over, the fielding captain walks up to you and calmly asks you, "How's that?" The ball in particular is very much dead and has been for about two minutes. What is your response?
The ball is dead and over has been called. Nothing can be done.

- A wicketkeeper is standing up to the stumps for a medium pace bowler. The ball spits out of a rough patch on the pitch and heads straight for the batsmans's neck area. He initially tries to get on top of the bounce but pulls away at the last minute, realising the extreme bounce. The motion causes him to stumble out of his crease. The wicketkeeper collects and breaks the stumps and appeals for stumped. Is he?
OUT. And a seriously good stumping.

- The batsman hits a ball from a spinner, which goes into the air. The wicketkeeper is closest to it and calls for the catch. The batsman, off-balance, swipes his leg at the ball, thinking that even if the catch was dropped, the ball would have hit the stumps and knocked the bails off and as such he would be protecting his stumps. The batsman does not hit the wicketkeeper in any way, neither does his attempt stop the potential catch from being taken. The ball falls through the keeper's gloves but the stumps remain undisturbed. He appeals, saying that the batsman's leg swipe distracted him. Do you give the batsman out for obstruction?
OUT, in the same way as if he had shouted at the keeper to distract him. If the keeper's gloves touched it he couldn't be bowled anyway, so his concern is invalid.

- A bowler refuses to take a run-up, instead just bowling the ball from the crease with one stride (and being the slowest ball you have ever seen). The batsman steps nearly halfway up the pitch but misses, and the wicketkeeper calmly takes the bails off. Is he out stumped given there was no preparation for a run-up?
OUT, as the batsman left his crease in the motion of playing his stroke. There is no stipulation that a bowler must take a run-up.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
If this is all the replies I'll get, I'm still willing to give away the book. But I'll judge it both based on the decision and reasoning behind that decision. Nobody has been correct in all the decisions yet (hint hint lol) and some of the correct decisions are indeed correct but their reasons aren't enough explanation according to the Laws/Rules.

Question 1 was umpire Koertzen's decision at the time, and he was fully supported by the ICC (and the official Rules of ODI and T20 cricket)...so in my answers I'll simply state what happened and refer specifically to which rule I speak of.

Note: I speak of ODI regulations as Rules and Test regulations as Laws. There is a significant difference to me, even if most things in the Rules ARE the Laws, except those conditions specifically stated in that document. I will recommend that anyone replying to this thread read these documents, especially since the ball hitting the Spidercam is now to be called as a dead ball, in opposition to previous posts in this same thread. (EDIT: At the time there was no such statement.) And yes, it is specifically referred to in it. Such is the evolution of cricket. Also, it would be wise to read it because further questions will come from it! (Actually just got a devious one!)

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
A ripper of a leg spin bowler, who is turning everything a mile is bowling over the wicket and pretty much over the stumps bowls a fair delivery. The striker takes a step forward and the ball hits the striker on the toe in line with middle (on the full). It goes through to the keeper and the keeper dislodges the bails with the batsmen outside of his ground. The keeper and the bowler both appeal to square leg. What is your decision?
Out! In either way it is out... It is same as the famous Jesse Ryder- Dhoni incident where he stumped him after Jesse Ryder edged the ball....

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
2. The striker plays a pull shot and the batsmen take off, the shot goes straight to the square leg umpire, he tries to get out the way but cant and, out of habit or a sense of protection, catches the ball. The square leg fielder asks the umpire if hes ok, grabs the ball and throws it into the keeper. The batsmen have made good their ground and shout "No" for the next run. The bowler appeals to the umpire. What is your decision?
What is he appealing for, eh? I couldn't understand this one... If he is appealing for a catch, then it's out....

3. The bowler bowls a ball from well behind you, taking both you and your colleague by suprise. Its come in at a bit of an angle that suggest it might have been bowled from quite a wide position, but you don't know, its marginal. The striker is surprised, but plays it off with a solid defensive shot. What, if anything, should you do?
I would go to the 3rd Umpire and see whether his foot was accross the back-foot no - ball line.....

4. The striker deliberately pads the ball away, the keeper goes up for LBW and the ball rolls past him. You turn down the LBW appeal and the batsmen complete a run. What do you do?
Dead Ball! If a batsman deliberately tries to hit the ball with a pad and then tries for a run... It is a dead ball... Don't know the exact law, but saw it in a video.

5. A right handed batsmen takes his stance as normal, while the bowler is running in he switches to batting left handed. The bowler bowls a fair delivery that pitches outside the left stump (looking at them), hits the striker in line with the left stump and you are convinced it was taking out middle stump. The keeper appeals. What is your decision?
Out! If you attempt for a reverse or a switch hit, the leg stump and off stump are out of question... Same is the thing with wide balls... Don't know the exact law but has happened with me in a state match...

6. You stuff up and allows a 7th ball to proceed. You realise your mistake as the bowler is delivering the ball. What do you do?
Call It a dead ball... Simple!

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Nicely Done!
Variants of those questions are the ones that trip up most people when doing Law exams :)

1. The correct decision would be Out - LBW.
Often people think that because the appeal was to the strikers end umpire it would debar the bowlers end umpire from giving it out. Appeals are general and whatever happens first is what is ultimately recorded.

2. Yup. Out - Caught.
The ball is still in play if interfered with by an umpire.

3. Technically the Onfields can only ask for a review of a No-Ball when a wicket has fallen. But in the laws itself it would be a straight out No Ball. Its a weird one, but the Law is that its a No-Ball if the umpire isn't satisfied about foot placement, its not a case of the umpire having to witness a breach.

4. Yup - But only once they have completed a run, if the batsmen are silly enough to expose themselves to a run out we have to give the fielding team a chance to run them out :)

5. Out - The On/Off side is determined at the time the bowler starts their run up.
I had an interesting one where a right handed batsmen once took guard as a lefty then switched, purely to largely eliminate LBW :/

6. Its controversial. Dead Ball would sound logical and that's what I answered in my exams, but the laws actually would indicate that you would let the ball be bowled and then call over!

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Nicely Done!
Variants of those questions are the ones that trip up most people when doing Law exams :)

1. The correct decision would be Out - LBW.
Often people think that because the appeal was to the strikers end umpire it would debar the bowlers end umpire from giving it out. Appeals are general and whatever happens first is what is ultimately recorded.

2. Yup. Out - Caught.
The ball is still in play if interfered with by an umpire.

3. Technically the Onfields can only ask for a review of a No-Ball when a wicket has fallen. But in the laws itself it would be a straight out No Ball. Its a weird one, but the Law is that its a No-Ball if the umpire isn't satisfied about foot placement, its not a case of the umpire having to witness a breach.

4. Yup - But only once they have completed a run, if the batsmen are silly enough to expose themselves to a run out we have to give the fielding team a chance to run them out :)

5. Out - The On/Off side is determined at the time the bowler starts their run up.
I had an interesting one where a right handed batsmen once took guard as a lefty then switched, purely to largely eliminate LBW :/

6. Its controversial. Dead Ball would sound logical and that's what I answered in my exams, but the laws actually would indicate that you would let the ball be bowled and then call over!
Thanks for the questions!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It would be great if more umpires got involved with this thread.

I'm back...

Real life isn't exactly in the best of situations to be giving away a book at the same time lol...but I do still have the book, and honestly, ContrarianUmp, you've actually legitimately won it. If you'd like it (it's not in the best of conditions, you can PM me to arrange).

You questions have already been answered, but if I can give my own opinions...

1. A ripper of a leg spin bowler, who is turning everything a mile is bowling over the wicket and pretty much over the stumps bowls a fair delivery. The striker takes a step forward and the ball hits the striker on the toe in line with middle (on the full). It goes through to the keeper and the keeper dislodges the bails with the batsmen outside of his ground. The keeper and the bowler both appeal to square leg. What is your decision?

Out, LBW. Any ball that strikes the batsman on the full is to be considered as going along its original trajectory, spin or seam negated. The first potential fall of wicket is the one to be given out, in this case LBW.

2. The striker plays a pull shot and the batsmen take off, the shot goes straight to the square leg umpire, he tries to get out the way but cant and, out of habit or a sense of protection, catches the ball. The square leg fielder asks the umpire if hes ok, grabs the ball and throws it into the keeper. The batsmen have made good their ground and shout "No" for the next run. The bowler appeals to the umpire. What is your decision?

As stated. The umpire is considered part of play.

3. The bowler bowls a ball from well behind you, taking both you and your colleague by suprise. Its come in at a bit of an angle that suggest it might have been bowled from quite a wide position, but you don't know, its marginal. The striker is surprised, but plays it off with a solid defensive shot. What, if anything, should you do?

The bowler is well within his right to deliver the ball wherever he pleases after his runup has started. However, the back foot no ball rule is applicable nonetheless. The bowling crease is considered to be an infinite line on either side of the pitch. However, you cannot ask for a TV review to confirm this. I would say you warn the bowler unofficially that what he is doing is contrary to the spirit of the game and that it could be considered unfair play and that you will call a no ball each time.

Even with replays though, it would be hard to confirm if the bowler has a straight run-up. Bowlers in the past who had an almost 45 degree run up, or some spinners nowadays who run up at an angle...that would be more difficult to ascertain. Either way, I would speak to the bowler about it and tell him that while it breaks no Law, it does not allow you to be totally partial to what he does.

4. The striker deliberately pads the ball away, the keeper goes up for LBW and the ball rolls past him. You turn down the LBW appeal and the batsmen complete a run. What do you do?

Dead ball. A batsman must either be attempting a shot or taking evasive action before running a leg bye.

5. A right handed batsmen takes his stance as normal, while the bowler is running in he switches to batting left handed. The bowler bowls a fair delivery that pitches outside the left stump (looking at them), hits the striker in line with the left stump and you are convinced it was taking out middle stump. The keeper appeals. What is your decision?

Out. End of discussion.

6. You stuff up and allows a 7th ball to proceed. You realise your mistake as the bowler is delivering the ball. What do you do?

Let the ball be bowled and then call over. In this scenario, once the bowler has started his run-up, your call of dead ball only means that he has to deliver that 7th ball again.

Okay...onto mine...

- In a one-day match (same ball used at both ends), the field is wet and the ball has taken a beating from the batsmen. You call for a replacement before 20 overs are up. Unfortunately none of the replacement balls look in similar condition. They are either way too new or way too old. There is no way that the match can continue with the current ball. What do you do? (Rudi Koertzen, while one of my favourite umpires EVER...was faced with just such a scenario and made a decision that...well...it WAS technically okay...but I did not agree with it...)

What had happened was that Koertzen was unhappy with the condition of the balls. All of them were way too new to be considered. And the other balls weren't of "similar wear". Koertzen went to the boundary and began bouncing the ball on the concrete until he was happy that it was of "similar wear". He caught a lot of flak for it, but technically he was not defying the Rules, because the final judge of the ball is the umpire. Not a popular decision though.

See: ICC Standard One Day Match Playing Conditions Rule 5-3 (Ball becoming lost or unfit for play)

- Batsman A and B are at the wicket with 5 overs to go and 8 wickets down in a limited overs match. They are both tail enders and they require some 60-odd runs to win the match and the series (which is currently tied at 2-2). Batsman C, one of the team's stars, has retired hurt earlier and by all reports, is fit to return at the fall of the next wicket. He has a reputation for massive hitting and given similar situations in the past, has proven himself to be more than capable of scoring that much that quickly. Batsmen A and B, while they may get the odd boundary, are in no way scoring near the required asking rate so far. Batsman A clearly gets a yorker that hits pad-first flush in front of the stumps. Nobody appeals. The next ball, batsman A gets a clear nick to the wicketkeeper, who takes it cleanly. Again, nobody appeals. In the next over (run rate now nearing 20) you see a top edge skied that no fielder makes any attempt to catch. Can you intervene?

One of the batsmen should retire out, but if they don't, you can't intervene except to give the fielding captain an official warning about the Spirit of the Game and what constitutes fair and unfair play. The match referee will be involved, of course. Also, it can be considered time wasting by the fielding side and 5 penalty runs can be awarded each time it happens.

- The old ball is 80 overs old but is reverse swinging all over the place. The light is good and the seamers are fresh. Naturally, the bowling team declines the offer of the new ball, as while they have not taken a wicket as yet, the batsmen are both clearly troubled to cope with the swing. Things move along, with the movement not letting up. At 105 overs, the bowling team still refuses to take the new ball. You request a change of the old ball with one of comparable wear and tear, and choose an appropriate one. But the batsmen are just as much in trouble. While the bowling is not overtly dangerous as such, there is still a significant risk to the batsmen in your opinion. You state as such to both your colleague and the fielding captain. The captain still refuses to take the new ball. What now?

If, in your opinion, the batting is at risk, then you can call play off due to poor conditions. Simple as that. You would take the bowling and batting skill into consideration, but at the same time if there is risk of significant injury to either batsmen or the fielding team, play would need to be halted.

- A batsman hits the ball into the outfield, where it trickles to a stop. Before the fielder can reach it, however, a dog runs across and grabs the ball and takes it clear across the boundary. That standing batsmen, in between fits of laughter, ask for a four. Is it? (TOO easy...I have to give ONE at least that people can get correct.)

Dead ball.

- A high-tension match between two rivals is being played. You are the third umpire, thanking the Creator for your time in the box for finally not being out on the field. The standing batsman misses a ball, and you lean back to relax some more until, at the end of the over, one of the television producers asks that you listen to a replay. The replay is that of the same ball that the batsman had missed, where the wicketkeeper clearly addresses the batsman and says more than one racist statement to him, heard via the stump mic. The batsman laughs it off, and the wicketkeeper seems to be laughing as well. No further statements along those lines are said up until that point, and the batsman does not seem to hold any animosity to the keeper. Your two standing colleagues and neither of the other fielders seem to have heard the exchange. In fact, it can almost seem as if it was a joke between the batsman and the keeper. It looks like a joke, as they hug at the end of the over. Can you do anything?

Report immediately to the match referee and inform your on-field colleagues. Whether in jest or not, it may have been heard by TV or radio fans, and even if it was not...it was enough to be picked up on the stump mic. There is NO place for racism in ANY sport, and the Laws clearly state this.

- The batsman skies the ball. A fielder runs under it and manages to get his hands onto it, but has to juggle. In the process, the ball hits his chin and runs down under his jersey and between the jersey and his body, whereupon he grabs it and pulls it out at his waist. They appeal. Is it out?

Out, caught. The use of the clothes was not intentional.

- The last ball before the drinks break is a peach of a delivery, beating the outside edge by the slimmest of margins. During the break, the replays begin showing on the big screen in the ground and the batsman actually seems to have hit it with a very fine edge, which was collected by the wicketkeeper. As the bowler stands at his mark to begin the next over, the fielding captain walks up to you and calmly asks you, "How's that?" The ball in particular is very much dead and has been for about two minutes. What is your response?

Not out. A drinks break is an official break, and must be called as "time" by the umpires. Anything that happened before time was called no longer counts.

- A wicketkeeper is standing up to the stumps for a medium pace bowler. The ball spits out of a rough patch on the pitch and heads straight for the batsmans's neck area. He initially tries to get on top of the bounce but pulls away at the last minute, realising the extreme bounce. The motion causes him to stumble out of his crease. The wicketkeeper collects and breaks the stumps and appeals for stumped. Is he?

This one is tricky. But he is not out. The Rules state that short pitched bowling, no matter the speed, is to be considered dangerous, and any batsman taking evasive action from it, even if he steps out of his crease, is not to be out stumped. It takes a bit of reading more than one Law, and it takes a bit of interpreting, but that's how I see it.

- The batsman hits a ball from a spinner, which goes into the air. The wicketkeeper is closest to it and calls for the catch. The batsman, off-balance, swipes his leg at the ball, thinking that even if the catch was dropped, the ball would have hit the stumps and knocked the bails off and as such he would be protecting his stumps. The batsman does not hit the wicketkeeper in any way, neither does his attempt stop the potential catch from being taken. The ball falls through the keeper's gloves but the stumps remain undisturbed. He appeals, saying that the batsman's leg swipe distracted him. Do you give the batsman out for obstruction?

If you believe that the batsman was trying to protect the stumps from being disturbed, then not out. It would really depend on how close the wicketkeeper was to his leg and if it really did look like the catch would have been taken if not for the leg swipe.

- A bowler refuses to take a run-up, instead just bowling the ball from the crease with one stride (and being the slowest ball you have ever seen). The batsman steps nearly halfway up the pitch but misses, and the wicketkeeper calmly takes the bails off. Is he out stumped given there was no preparation for a run-up?

A bowler is not obligated to take a run-up, but the batsman must indicate that he is ready for the delivery. Once that happens, he is out.

EDITED.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Lets stick with just the Laws of the Game for these:

1. The days play is scheduled to end at 6pm. The umpire calls over at 5:59 and 40secs. What should happen?

The umpires are to switch ends at a normal walking pace. If that happens before 6pm on the dot, then another over is to be bowled.

2. Batsmen pads up to the ball, in the old school 'lift bat over head and big step out to protect stumps' way. Ball hits pad, balloons up. Batsmen start running and the ball hits the keepers helmet (on the ground, not wearing). What happens?

The helmet is kept on the field as a convenience, not as a necessity. It saves time and it does not hold up play. But it is not part of play when not used. Five penalty runs to the batting team, whether a shot was attempted or not. (Before my time, but I think in Australia there was actually a hatch where the helmet could be stored underground.)

3. A two innings match. The team batting first is all out. Should anything in particular happen to the ball used in that innings? Can it just go into the kit of a team as a training ball?

No it can't. The match is not yet over, plus if a replacement ball is needed...what else can a ball of "similar wear" be considered than a ball used in the same match?

4. The bowler bowls a No-Ball, which you call. The ball comes off the batsman's pad (having played a shot) and runs to the boundary. What is your signal(s) to the scorers?

No-ball comes first, since that was the first infringement. Then four. Then leg byes. Ensure that the scorer understands each signal before proceeding with the others.

5. The following should be taken to happen close to the batsmen completing the third run (so, they have crossed), what is scored for:

Obstructing the field - A consultation with my colleague as to whether it was intentional or not, then given out, telling my third umpire colleague or official scorers exactly what has happened. Two runs have been scored. No change of ends (IE if the out batsman was running to the bowler's end, the new batsman starts at the bowler's end.)

Run out - Either a direct decision by myself or a consult with the third umpire. If out, the new batsman begins at the end where I have made my decision.

Caught - Any completed runs prior to the catch are to count. (Something many modern umpires totally forget, much to my dismay.) Once the catch is completed, the new batsman is to start his innings at the end closest to which he was at the time, provided that the batsmen crossed.

EDIT: Accidentally turned the entire post into a quote. Kindly read.

DOUBLE EDIT: One of my entries was blatantly wrong, but I won't change it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread