Draft: Old Guys

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
1688156812738.png

I should probably start thinking about picking an over-40 pretty early on before all the good ones are taken, but with the world's best Test spinner still on the table I obviously have to pick Ravichandran Ashwin. He's still at the absolute peak of his powers and was the leading wicket-taker in the recently concluded World Test Championship. Of course with Indian cricket being what it is, he was dropped in the final so India could play both Umesh Yadav and Shardul Thakur.

8. :ind: :ar: Ravichandran Ashwin

Over 40s: 0/3

@Aravind.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Let's go with @CerealKiller's favourite cricketer, :pak::ar:Shoaib Malik for the first over-40 player. He's only been doing T20 games all over Asia for the last year but averages close to thirty striking just over 130 and can bowl a bit if required. Was also a brilliant fielder back in the day so hopefully we can get him doing a job in the infield despite the age and his decline. I assume he'll be able to still average somewhere in the low to mid 30s in the other two formats while offering a sixth bowler role in them.

@VC the slogger next up.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
346612.jpg

Ah I might as well just pick the star of the draft Darren Stevens and get one of my geriatric picks done with. His form last year was anyways equivalent to a granny on steroids, and I can't fathom why Kent discarded him in favor of Joey freaking Evison..

@Paranoid Kendroid

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
346376.jpg

One of the most effective limited overs spinners of the modern era, Imran Tahir has remained a force in various T20 leagues across the world in his 40s since being cast aside by the South African selectors after the 2019 World Cup. Could have been an invaluable addition to their beleaguered 2021 & 2022 T20 World Cup squads, but bureaucracy prevailed unfortunately.

That's two down, one more to go..

VC's XI

6. :eng: :ar: Darren Stevens :slvo:
11. :saf: :bwl: Imran Tahir :slvo:

@Bevab

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In truth had I known he was eligible I’d have gone for him first and then perhaps made another pick in this round but not to worry, :sri::ar:Dilruwan Perera is still available to pick. He’s still going strong in the Sri Lankan domestic scene with a fifty already in the new FC season and a three wicket haul to add to it. He hasn’t been a standout performer in any of the recent tournaments other than last year’s List A tourney but his performances have been thoroughly respectable if not good with the ball. Did a serviceable job for the Lankan side as Herath’s underling before the latter’s retirement forced him into a leading spin role that he was ill suited for. Getting a player over forty who is still active and consistent in all three formats of the game is a good deal though and it’s one I’ll happily take.

In our side he’ll be the holding spinner in all three formats and someone we can use to extend the batting depth if needed.

@Neo 7 to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread