Open Beta Testing - [PCCS 0.1.5]

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
RELEASE INFORMATION
Version Numbering
All releases made under this beta will be 0.1.x. Please include your version when you are making bug reports or comments.

Requirements
- .NET 3.5 framework (earlier ones may be supported, but I don't feel like investigating)

Features Included
- Create, edit and delete teams
- Create, edit and delete players
- Create, edit and delete grounds
- Ability to simulate Twenty20 matches
- Ball-by-ball updates (no commentary, though)
- Scorecard updates that can be exported to PNG files
- Ability to view and export scorecards at a future date
- Ability to load a previous line-up into a game
- Ability to customize team colours on the scorecard

Missing Features
- Statistics tracking
- Commentary
- Ground details taken into account in the simulator
- Other future expansion (customizable series' and tournaments, etc.)
- Creating a new environment--to do this manually, create a copy of the Clean.pccsdb file BEFORE using it and rename it whatever you like .pccsdb

First-Time Installation Instructions
1. Download PCCS_0.1.5.zip
2. Unzip the file
3. Run Setup.exe
4. Run through the installer

Upgrade Instructions from 0.1.x
1. Backup the PCCSDB files you want to use in a separate folder (copy+paste). Note that if you are on Windows 7 or Vista, these files may be in your VirtualStore directory (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\sohummm\...). Make sure you back these files up.
2. OPTIONAL: Uninstall PCCS Open Beta from the Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
3. Download PCCS_0.1.5.zip
4. Unzip the file
5. Run Setup.exe
6. Run through the installer

PCCSDB Files
I am no longer bundling the PCCSDB files with the installer since it is problematic to install them in the Program Files directory. Instead, please download the files manually from here and save them to a convenient location, like My Documents. If you would like to have your PCCSDB files available for download here, send them to me and I will include them with a credit.

[Clean.pccsdb] - Blank, new database file
[PCCL.pccsdb] - Database file with 2009 PCCL teams with dummy averages
[PCCS.pccsdb] - Database file with incomplete list of international teams
[IPL Season 3.pccsdb] - IPL Season 3 database file made by Yudi

TESTER'S HOW-TO
Starting up the Sim
1. Double-click the PCCS icon on your desktop or run the PCCS executable contained in the Program Files directory.
2. Click File->Open Environment and select one of the three pccsdb files contained near the executable:
a) Clean.pccsdb - Completely blank database
b) PCCL.pccsdb - Database containing teams from the 2009 PCCL season
c) PCCS.pccsdb -> Incomplete database containing international teams

Create a Match
1. Click on the "Play New Match" button on the left-hand navigation.
2. Select the teams you wish to play with.
3. Choose Short One Day (< 20 overs)
4. Choose 20 as the number of overs.
5. Choose International Senior as the league.
6. Choose a stadium.
7. Choose a date (any date).

8. Click Create.

Playing a Match
1. Follow the Create a Match tutorial above to create a match if you wish to and go to step 4.
2. Click on the Matches button in the navigation pane.
3. Double-click on the match you wish to play or click on the "Play" button next to it.
4. Set your line-up as desired and click Next. You must have 11 players in each line-up to continue and a captain and keeper chosen (choose captain and keeper by highlighting the appropriate players and clicking on the appropriate button.
5. Check the outputs you wish to display. I suggest checking both Ball-by-ball List and Scorecard.
6. Click Simulate.
7. Twiddle your thumbs. Or, alternatively, watch the simulation and describe any issues that you have with the way the simulator functions.

Saving a Scorecard after Live Output
1. You must check the "Scorecard" button in the simulation dialog.
2. Once the match has been simulated, the "Save Scorecard" button should become enabled.
3. Click the button and choose the filename. It will save two PNG's filename_1.png and filename_2.png for each innings' scorecard.
4. Distribute these scorecards or include them to show examples of when the simulator is not performing up to scratch.

Saving a Scorecard after Simulation
1. Refresh the matches page by switching to another page and switching back.
2. Click "View" next to a played match.
3. Click the "Save Scorecards" button to save the scorecard. Follow the directions as in the earlier section.

Saving ball-by-ball updates after Live Output
1. You must check the "Ball-by-Ball" option in the simulation dialog.
2. Once the match has been simulated, the "Save Ball-by-Ball Updates" button should become enabled.
3. Click the button and choose the filename.
4. You can copy and paste the contents of the text file to a PC post/thread and it will be pre-formatted with vB code.

KNOWN ISSUES
Vista/Windows 7 permission issues
There are issues working with the Program Files directory in Vista and Windows 7. This includes opening up environment files and creating scorecards. To solve, do one of the following:

1. Run PCCS.exe with elevated permissions (Run as Administrator)
2. Copy the PCCS installation out of the Program Files directory into a local directory (C:\ or My Documents, for example).
3. Copy the pccsdb files out of Program Files and put them in My Documents or somewhere local. From PCCS.exe, open these files instead of the ones next to PCCS.exe. Save any scorecard files in a non-Program Files location, as well.
4. If you try to save a scorecard before viewing both tabs in the scorecard view, the sim will probably crash or save only one scorecard. This issue is being investigated, but right now just go ahead and view both scorecards.

QUESTIONS/BUGS/FEATURE REQUESTS?
File a bug on the bugtracker by following these steps:

1. Go to sohummm.unfuddle.com
2. Login with Username pccsbugs and Password planetcricket
3. Click on the Tickets link at the top of the page.
4. Click on the New Ticket link
5. Enter the details of the bug.
6. Select "Bug" as the Type
7. Select the latest released version of PCCS as the Version (0.1.5)
8. Click Create Ticket
9. Post a copy of your bug in this thread so I can track it.

Please include the following details if you have a bug that causes the simulation to crash:

PCCS Version: e.g. PCCS 0.1.5
Operating System: e.g. Windows 7
.NET Framework Version: e.g. 3.5SP1
Description: include what you were doing when the crash happened

You can make feature requests in this way, as well. I will be monitoring the tickets page every few days to get an idea of what bugs have been reported/features are requested and will modify the details appropriately.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great news, cant wait for it :) Cricket carrer was fun :)

KBC

Panel of Selectors
:banana2:banana2:banana2:banana2:banana2:banana2:banana2:banana2

'nuff.

hehe, never enough. That's one hell of a job sohum, it's paying off finally, all the best for this sim!

Last edited:

harrisb

International Coach
yes, i'll give it a test for you sohum.

Looking forward to it.

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
Downloaded it...going to check it out :)

Last edited:

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
I am having a don't send error whenever i am trying to open a db.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I am having a don't send error whenever i am trying to open a db.
Hmm... I can't replicate this. I just tried it on a non-dev machine and couldn't replicate it either.

What environment file were you trying to open? If more people have this issue I'll try to release a version with debugging symbols included.

Also, you have the latest .NET framework, right?

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Hmm... I can't replicate this. I just tried it on a non-dev machine and couldn't replicate it either.

What environment file were you trying to open? If more people have this issue I'll try to release a version with debugging symbols included.

Downloading now. Should have some feedback for you soon. :)

Funknath

Panel of Selectors

Yeah. .Net framework 3.0

Having a don't send error with all the db.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah. .Net framework 3.0

Having a don't send error with all the db.
Latest .NET is 3.5SP1. The target framework for this project is .NET 3.5. You can try updating to that but I don't think that's the issue since you could run the executable to begin with.

Let's see if Biggy was able to run it?

Also are you on Vista/7 or XP? You can try running as admin; sometimes there are issues with files in the Program Files directory requiring admin access to be edited. If that does work, let me know, since I will have to figure out how to open those up. Alternatively, copy the .pccsdb files to another directory, not in Program File (like My documents) and try opening them from there.

Let me know if any of these work...

sohum added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Something I just noticed.

When a no ball is bowled it adds 1 to the batsmens balls faced. Then when the ball is re-bowled (free hit) it adds another to his balls faced tally..
Yup, that's how it is supposed to be. Batsmen can score off a no ball and any ball that a batsman can score off counts towards his ball faced.

Imagine a batsman scored a run off his first delivery faced, but it was a no-ball. He then has 1 run from 0 balls, which is an impossibility in traditional cricket statistics tracking.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Latest .NET is 3.5SP1. The target framework for this project is .NET 3.5. You can try updating to that but I don't think that's the issue since you could run the executable to begin with.

Let's see if Biggy was able to run it?

Also are you on Vista/7 or XP? You can try running as admin; sometimes there are issues with files in the Program Files directory requiring admin access to be edited. If that does work, let me know, since I will have to figure out how to open those up. Alternatively, copy the .pccsdb files to another directory, not in Program File (like My documents) and try opening them from there.

Let me know if any of these work...

sohum added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Yup, that's how it is supposed to be. Batsmen can score off a no ball and any ball that a batsman can score off counts towards his ball faced.

Imagine a batsman scored a run off his first delivery faced, but it was a no-ball. He then has 1 run from 0 balls, which is an impossibility in traditional cricket statistics tracking.

Yeah I just realized, I was thinking wides sorry. :facepalm

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I had no don't send error btw.
Cool, can you check what .NET version you have? I'm not sure why it's not working for Funky.

Also, general message to everyone, feel free to post screenies, comments, etc.! This is a free for all thread for the Open Beta 0.1.1.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Yeah I just realized, I was thinking wides sorry. :facepalm
Gotcha... on that note, though, I am expecting a few bugs on the extras side, so watch out for it. Currently my sim engine is supposed to support multiple extra events on one delivery. For example, a wide that goes for byes. Or a no ball that goes for leg byes. It can get even more complicated if you have something like a no ball that goes for runs and results in a catch attempt.... I'm sure there are some bugs there!

Users who are viewing this thread