Perfect Batting System

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, on Codemasters forums, Lazy Chestnut gave an idea on how to make a perfect batting system I expanded on that.

Since I (and everyone) knows that this has no chance of getting into Codies or EA's plans I thought I'd post it here in a wishlist.

SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POST FOR THE ONE PARAGRAPH EXPLANATION

Lazy_chestnut said:
Boy, do they need to sort out defensive batting in cricket games. I've always found that the defensive batting part of cricket games has always been terrible. I mean, just pressing a button at vaguely the right time....that doesn't bear much resemblance to real life (clearly you can't make it completely realistic).

I reckon that there should be some way in which you can react once you've chosen your shot. You could actually choose to defend the ball before it is even bowled, but the rest of the gameplay is in reacting to the ball itself, rather than just getting the timing right.

For example....

The ball is going to be pitched somewhere around 8 inches outside of stump, on a good length, say. This is a ball in the 'corridoor or uncertainty' so you would probably play it. So you choose to defend. Then, as the ball comes down, you see it's an outswinger so you press something to abort the shot, so the batsman puts his front foot down the pitch but pulls his bat away.

The next ball is pitched in the same place, but you see it come down as an inswinger. You have to then press a button to adjust your shot into the line of the inswinging delivery, to avoid being out LBW, say.

I would say that even if the ball goes straight on, you have to press a button to get the timing right, and an appropriate direction would need to be chosen to try and play the ball in. Ooh, that's good, so if you see the ball start to swing away, you need to adjust your stroke direction to have less of a chance of getting an edge, say.

OK I just made that up on the spot and I'm pretty happy with that idea, actually. It would just make batting a lot more interesting, make you more likely to want to play defensive shots to build your innings rather than trying to club the ball to the rope from ball one, and it would make it so that there is some reason for you getting an edge behind or whatever.

Oh wow, that's a great idea.

Anyone with me?!

manee said:
E.g. On the PS2 (for the benefit of controls), you see where it is pitched, then you choose defence (square), attack (X), loft (O) or leave (triangle).

If you choose defence (X), then the foot is moved in line with the ball (unless it is outside leg stump). When the ball comes, you have the option to play in a direction and:

1. A normal defence (square) - for good balls - ideal option

2. A push or nudge (X) - for pushing singles and balls on leg stump - second ideal option

3. A regular attack shot - for a picked slower ball or if you just realise the ball is rubbish (O) - risk of edge, but usually safe

4. A late leave to aviod an edge or being hit (triangle) - Ooo, if you leave one that ducks in you may be in huge trouble.

If you choose attack (X), then the body is moved depending on the line and length of the ball to play an attacking shot: either large stride forward and to the ball, or opening your self up...etc...

When the ball comes, four options here also + a direction like last time:

1. Regular attack (X), to continue with what you originally chose - ideal option

2. Dead bat block, you stop in your shot in its tracks, because the ball is good, or you've had second thought about your shot - must be timed correctly.

3. Check loft (O) - to loft the infield.

4. Late evasive action (triangle) - same as last time except more risky.

If you chooseloft (O), body gets into similar position as attack with X however the bat lift is higher.

When the ball comes, four options here also + a direction like last time:

1. Go through with the lofted shot (O)

2. Attack shot (X), this will be more powerful than the X than X combo, but then again, will be more risky.

3. Nudge/push (triangle) - timing is extremely hard but this needs to be done if a good ball is bowled.

4. Late evasive action (triangle) - same as last time except more risky.

If you choose inital evasive action (triangle) it leaves only three options.

1. Quick block (square) + direction

2. Carry on evading the ball (Triangle)

3. Push/Nudge from awkward evasion position (X), I dont know why you would want to do this.

So, I think we have created the perfect batting system...only if we could find people to listen

In short, the bowling team choose where they want to pitch it, and for now, the marker stops...then you choose in what direction (towards the ball) and what manner you wish to take on the ball (attack, defense, loft and evade.). The marker can now move (but very very slowly), the speed bar goes up, the ball is released, it may swing in the air, the foot movement you chose takes place and then you choose from what action you choose to do after the footmovement. From here you can change the direction of your shot or change the manner of shot...however, sticking to what you originally chose (if possible, after swing and cut and seam and spin) would be most profitable.

jdeus

FTP World League Div 2 Champion S13
Online Cricket Games Owned
The trick to a perfect batting system is to having as much control and variety as possible but without it being complex.

Im just not sure anyone can make a system that will be near perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread