Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I just felt sick to my stomach when I saw the news, and I don't really feel like watching cricket right now.

As for the people calling those who are saying "bouncers should be banned" idiots and stupid, get a hold of yourself. It is a completely valid point. Yes, I agree that the way to go is to make better protective gear and that this was a freak accident, but it is not at all hard to see where they are coming from. Allowing men to hurl a ball made of cork and leather at 90mph at each others heads sounds very silly when you think about it. It's just a game. Please don't kid yourself into thinking that the culture, history, and/or tradition of cricket are/is that important.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I just felt sick to my stomach when I saw the news, and I don't really feel like watching cricket right now.

As for the people calling those who are saying "bouncers should be banned" idiots and stupid, get a hold of yourself. It is a completely valid point. Yes, I agree that the way to go is to make better protective gear and that this was a freak accident, but it is not at all hard to see where they are coming from. Allowing men to hurl a ball made of cork and leather at 90mph at each others heads sounds very silly when you think about it. It's just a game. Please don't kid yourself into thinking that the culture, history, and/or tradition of cricket are/is that important.
I do think people calling for bouncers to be banned are stupid, because they are believing that they can make something completely safe when it can never be.

Formula 1 drivers crash (Jules Bianchi) - are we going to ban drivers from going fast or make F1 races straight drag races? You often hear after a marathon that a runner has collapsed and died. Are we going to ban marathons? Of course not. This is why banning the bouncer is a stupid idea.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I do think people calling for bouncers to be banned are stupid, because they are believing that they can make something completely safe when it can never be.

Formula 1 drivers crash (Jules Bianchi) - are we going to ban drivers from going fast or make F1 races straight drag races? You often hear after a marathon that a runner has collapsed and died. Are we going to ban marathons? Of course not. This is why banning the bouncer is a stupid idea.
Nailed it.

To expand on this, if a fielder gets hit by a ball after the batsman hits it and gets hurt, are we going to ban people hitting the ball over shoulder height? Unfortunately, accidents happen in all walks of life. That's why they're called accidents.
Second fatality within a week's time on a cricket field.

BBC News - Israeli cricket umpire killed by ball
I heard this what a heart attack though, rather than through an injury of where the ball hit. If every person who died of heart attacks whilst playing cricket was reported, we'd be hearing about them most days.

Last edited:

Yuvi.

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
1509258_619634118159645_3387875483238314461_n.jpg

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

Well, yea... you shouldn't have marathons at certain temperatures, or in certain locations, or allow people with certainpre-existing health conditions to run. The F1 example is not pertinent because that is a fundamental shift in driving. Bouncers are a very small part of cricket. Of course it can never be completely safe, but don't call someone stupid for trying to make it so.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well, yea... you shouldn't have marathons at certain temperatures, or in certain locations, or allow people with certainpre-existing health conditions to run. The F1 example is not pertinent because that is a fundamental shift in driving. Bouncers are a very small part of cricket. Of course it can never be completely safe, but don't call someone stupid for trying to make it so.
Ok, I won't call them stupid. The idea is stupid though. Bouncers are a vital part of bowling. And like MUFC1987 said earlier, are we going to make every fielder wear helmets? How far will it go? This needs to be seen for what it is - a tragic accident that has shocked the world.

ethybubs

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Believe it or not, I actually play in the same league as Haddon (also Division 2) and hats off to them for their declaration. I can't believe they've gotten international recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread