Pietersen to open with Strauss in World Cup

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
This will either work fantasticly or backfire badly. It is very risky when he hasn't opened at all.

Just look at KP in any game, how often does he flash at a ball too early or just give his wicket away? All the keepers tried as openers failed, they too have scored fifties but the problem is you need someone familiar with the role and how to play it. While England have been trying to make Gilchrists out of Davies, Prior and others, why not pick a player from the counties who has actually done the job successfully albeit only at county level?!?!?

Flower was whining about fatigue, well picking most of the Test XI for ODIs is never going to help. I wonder if Anderson should be picked given his family distractions. Some view him as our best bowler, I say Broad is in ODIs and can bat, Anderson is hit and miss in all formats with 1/91s, 0/75s, 1/66s and 1/63s dogging him as much as 3/48s, 3/26s and 3/22s bless him. If he were so good as to be undroppable then his average would be below 30 - Shahzad, Broad and Woakes all average under 30. Even some Bangladeshis like Razzak and Shakib Al-Hasan average under 30 and I'm guessing noone would pick them before Anderson, well Shakib wouldn't get picked as an all-rounder for an ODI XI but you could argue his place based on 129 wickets in ODIs at a cheaper rate even if he was left to bat at #11

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
They should be using Bell/Bopara while you don't often see Pietersen opening.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Its quite a brave decision yet very risky. Imaigne if KP and Strauss bowled out early by the opposition. To whome you will bank on??? Besides getting rid of KP and Strauss (The two big Players) will give immense confidence to the opposition side.

Bhopara was a better choice I guess.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I feel this is a good move, but English middle order is completely brittle now.
If both KP and Strauss get out early (for about 20-30 runs), scoring 180-200 will become a uphill task for England.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
If both KP and Strauss get out early (for about 20-30 runs), scoring 180-200 will become a uphill task for England.

That is why this move should have been enforced when the likes of Eoin Morgan were fit and available to play in the playing XI . Had that been the case , KP would have very well got used to his new batting position by now and would have looked much more confident going to the WC .

War

Chairman of Selectors
Just look at KP in any game, how often does he flash at a ball too early or just give his wicket away? All the keepers tried as openers failed, they too have scored fifties but the problem is you need someone familiar with the role and how to play it. While England have been trying to make Gilchrists out of Davies, Prior and others, why not pick a player from the counties who has actually done the job successfully albeit only at county level?!?!?

Flower was whining about fatigue, well picking most of the Test XI for ODIs is never going to help. I wonder if Anderson should be picked given his family distractions. Some view him as our best bowler, I say Broad is in ODIs and can bat, Anderson is hit and miss in all formats with 1/91s, 0/75s, 1/66s and 1/63s dogging him as much as 3/48s, 3/26s and 3/22s bless him. If he were so good as to be undroppable then his average would be below 30 - Shahzad, Broad and Woakes all average under 30. Even some Bangladeshis like Razzak and Shakib Al-Hasan average under 30 and I'm guessing noone would pick them before Anderson, well Shakib wouldn't get picked as an all-rounder for an ODI XI but you could argue his place based on 129 wickets in ODIs at a cheaper rate even if he was left to bat at #11

Because their isn't any @ county level. Fact is either Davies or Kieswetter should be opening with Strauss in this world cup. England have brought this confusion on themselves.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Kieswetter would have been the perfect opener for England. The KP experiment has failed in only one match, but he did fail miserably scoring 39 off around 61 deliveries against the Dutch on a pitch that was perfect for batting.

Changes in batting order can often lead to confusion in the team and tends to impact team strategy strongly. KP isn't confident of opening and this could have been averted had we had Kieswetter instead of Prior in the squad.

Sureshot

Executive member
I don't know how you can state that KP isn't confident opening the innings, based on one innings against an associate team.

He can only be judged after the tournament has finished (or if/when England are knocked out).

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Yeah, I agree - it's too early to judge him. But I still think the move won't work. Have either Strauss or Flower explained why they dropped Davies?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
KP's slow paced innings makes me feel he ain't suited for the top job. He ought to play where he has had success,i.e at No.4 or so. Opening requires a different set of skills and thats what he may lack.
He did struggle against the Nederlands, but we can wait and watch as to how he goes about v India and South Africa.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
As a matter of fact , he made 9 off 19 balls against Ireland during the World t20 championships in 2010 . But then look what happened next , a series of MoM half centuries against Pakistan , South Africa followed by a 47 not out against Sri Lanka in the semis and another 47 against Aussies in the grand finale . He was awarded the ' Player of the Tournament '! So its very well worth waiting instead of judging his performance against an associate nation that too being the first game of the tournament .

Users who are viewing this thread