Pietersen to open with Strauss in World Cup

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I totally agree. Lee is undoubtedly the spearhead of Aussies attack atm. With regards to the topic, I think its a positive move by English team. KP can be ruthless at the top. England don't look like doing well at all in the tournament anyways. I think its a good gamble :thumbs.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
This move smacks of desperation to me.
It is a reactionary move to a terrible series in aus, if they were really serious about it they should have tried it long before the World Cup.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This move smacks of desperation to me.
It is a reactionary move to a terrible series in aus, if they were really serious about it they should have tried it long before the World Cup.
I feel that Pietersen will be brilliant at the top. It's always easy to migrate to the opening slot from number 3 or 4.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think it's a good move, and one that I've actually thought they should have tried long before this.

imo, KP was a brilliant batsman 2005-2007 and has been pretty mediocre since then. I feel the no.4 was no more than a ego position for him, it's where good batsmen play, but he wasn't really very suited to the position but perhaps wasn't quite gutsy enough to be first one in at 3, and too full of himself to sit at 5 for his career. This position puts more onus on him to deliver meaningful score but as opener he will always be in an attacking situation.

My only reservation is this move made far more sense when morgan was in the line-up. They are now without much firepower in the middle to lower order, they'd be as well taking the batting powerplay instantly if he's still in.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
imo, KP was a brilliant batsman 2005-2007 and has been pretty mediocre since then.

These are his stats for the year 2008 which IMO was his 2nd best year at cricketing level .

Tests
ODIs

The dip in form actually started after the tour of Caribbean in March 2009 . Still , he has been world class in t20s .

Zaxotes

National Board President
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Pietersen to Open!? Really a great 'move'...:p
Will be interesting to see him blasting for more time...

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Interesting decision by the English team. I'm looking forward to see Pietersen open, hopefully he will make runs on consistent basis now as a opener.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Gets himself out to a spinner again which makes the decision to open him with Strauss even better . Hope India (team consisting of max. part-time/full time spinners) or any other side for that matter don't open the bowling with an Ashwin or a Harbhajan . That's the time KP might be pressurized to do something silly !

War

Chairman of Selectors
I dont know what to make of this move. But it does look fairly reactionary coming of Priors struggles opening in AUS. But as usual before i scream i'm willing to give the idea a chance before i do so. Surely now though, those who where annoyed @ Davies being dropped ITFP, will feel vindicated by this decision.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
While he did perform today against a top bowling attack, I still have my reservations. Will be interesting to see if he contniues to perfrom once the actual tournament starts.

stefan

International Coach
This will either work fantasticly or backfire badly. It is very risky when he hasn't opened at all.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Individually, he'll probably work out about the same, but it will look terrible because one way or another, there are gaps in the middle order.

Users who are viewing this thread