PlanetCricket domain (fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I can assure you that if anyone is interested in buying PC at the moment (not suggesting anything until we know more) it's not Google.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Guys whats the point in having..

www.cricket2005.org + www.cricket2004.co.uk

When hardly anyone goes there (i'm sure), also these games are old.

just a suggestion,
They are there for a few reasons, we make the sites when the games are new and they build up a big amount of visitors. This large visitor base creates a large base of links to those sites on the internet, and from that a lot of links to PlanetCricket itself. By having those links we get a higher pagerank in search engines, which means more members and a bigger site.

Seeing as we have built that sort of thing up there is no reason to drop those domains to save a few quid, yes we spend a bit of money on domains each year but it is well worth it.

I can buy PC for 41.9067 GBP :p...
Remove the decimal point and then we will talk.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Remove the decimal point and then we will talk.

lol, contact my financial manager for that much.

I own cricket2004.co.uk which used to be a site in its own right and also used to have a higher google pagerank than PC (6/10 compared to 4/10).

yeah ok, crappy EA should pay you guys for advertising their crappy games.

Last edited:

JonAd

School Cricketer
Based on potential advertising revenue then the site comes in with a value of about ?15,000. However, that is inflated (imo) and is over the true actual value.

As a rule of thumb you normally value a domain by taking the yearly revenue and multiplying it by 5-7. If you want to get complicated then you can start to factor in man hour costs (admins only) but that is very subjective.

For example, my normal hourly rate would be in the region of ?50, so is it fair to say that I need to factor in each hour of my time dedicated to the site at that rate, or should the rate be lower\higher to reflect the actual true cost to the site? Tough one!

There is also the school of thought which values the domain according to the number of letters in the name, in this case 13. Not that great as people tend to value less letters but planet cricket is snazzy enough in its own way.

To address you point about hits and pages per view, without those numbers to hand then its hard to factor them into the valuation but you have an alexa ranking of about 60,000 which is good. The proof though would be in how many of those hits and visits are actually unique.

From my visits when the site was working off the .net domain, it seemed that you normally pulled in a high number of guests, however, I would bet my bottom dollar that a high percentage of those guests were spiders, web crawlers and bots - no bad thing but something to take into consideration.

Lastly, the market isn't as robust as it has been in previous years when domain would sell for silly money. If you had a previous offer then I would be tempted to reduce it by up to half to get a valuation nearer to the true figure in the current market. On the other hand, you have a site that is well established so you would probably end up pulling slightly higher than market value.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Cheers for that post, it made interesting reading.
The .net domain should be back very soon although we're not planning on selling it atm anyway.

JonAd

School Cricketer
My pleasure, I doubt you would be in the market for selling but I had 10 mins to kill so what better way than to spout hot air on an internet forum.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Cheers for that post, it made interesting reading.
The .net domain should be back very soon although we're not planning on selling it atm anyway.

can you please tell me why PC is so dead atm? I guess most of people don't know .tv link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread