Playing a cover drive to a good length ball a foot outside off stump.

superfreddie

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Not been on here for ages and was looking to buy the game. Sounds stupid but one thing is stopping me. The game breaker for me was always the fact that you would try to play a cover drive off a good length ball a foot outside off stump by pushing forward and right (right handed batsman) at a 45 degree angle for your footwork, as you naturally would, but for some reason the player would inexplicably play an ondrive type of shot and consequently miss the ball by about 2 or 3 foot and tell you it was poor footwork.

Could someone please let me know if this still happens and if so, what are you supposed to do with your footwork?

D

Dutch

Not been on here for ages and was looking to buy the game. Sounds stupid but one thing is stopping me. The game breaker for me was always the fact that you would try to play a cover drive off a good length ball a foot outside off stump by pushing forward and right (right handed batsman) at a 45 degree angle for your footwork, as you naturally would, but for some reason the player would inexplicably play an ondrive type of shot and consequently miss the ball by about 2 or 3 foot and tell you it was poor footwork.

Could someone please let me know if this still happens and if so, what are you supposed to do with your footwork?
Ah I think you might have seen the Keaton Jennings version!

I will let some of the more accomplished batsmen speak here but from my experience it is certainly possible to play good cover drives.

There are bugs and disbalances in the game that need fixing but overall a more polished version than Ashes was.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The angle of delivery plays a crucial role in this.. So an outswing delivery on 4th stump line can be driven easily than a seam delivery coming into the batsman at an angle which is most likely to end up like the shot you mentioned.. Footwork straight and bat at 45 degree angle surely would work if the ball is going away.. The game basically chooses what to play based on the input.. Its not like ultimate simulation where the precise shot and foot work is being displayed [Something for the future hopefully where foot work and bat movement are separate thing and stitched on together to complete the shot and connects with the ball if only its in the line/path with the ball]..

There's also possibility of game making you play the square drive where batsman slides away to leg side to connect the ball.. This is basically wrong animation input for that delivery..

There are shots where the animations given could be altered to actually make people play in such a way that it connects the middle of the bat [Eg: Good length deliveries on medium/hard pitches have to be played off backfoot for ball to travel as much rather that top of the bat/handle region making it fly to the boundary].. But maybe again something for the future..

superfreddie

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Ah I think you might have seen the Keaton Jennings version!

I will let some of the more accomplished batsmen speak here but from my experience it is certainly possible to play good cover drives.

There are bugs and disbalances in the game that need fixing but overall a more polished version than Ashes was.
Hi Dutch, wow your name brings back memories, haven't been on this forum since the first Don Bradman came out and ultimately dissapointed me. I spent so much time on the academy editing players before game launch. Are our old players and teams still available to download?

I remember a few of us editors made it onto the bigant team that shipped with the game.

There were so many snagging points to the game I just lost interest, was hoping most would be sorted by now, but after reading a bit of the forum and watching videos, it seems not.

Might buy the game in hope i can live with them.

D

Dutch

Hi Dutch, wow your name brings back memories, haven't been on this forum since the first Don Bradman came out and ultimately dissapointed me. I spent so much time on the academy editing players before game launch. Are our old players and teams still available to download?

I remember a few of us editors made it onto the bigant team that shipped with the game.

There were so many snagging points to the game I just lost interest, was hoping most would be sorted by now, but after reading a bit of the forum and watching videos, it seems not.

Might buy the game in hope i can live with them.
Good to see you around again: There is genuinely enough in the game to give a decent game of cricket! But there is much that should have been/could have been/ perhaps will be improved

bptuner

School Cricketer
If you like cricket/sport games, get CR19, you won't be disappointed. It could use some polish, sure, but in its current state, you'll have some great games of cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread