Review Playtest Review/Preview(Review Links, Updated in First Post)

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
People say that the game should be more realistic, in that case the AI in a test match should be scoring at like 3 or 4 an over NOT 10! But here is the thing, if the AI bat like 3 or 4 an over people will complain that they cant get them out or they score too slowly.

In my opinion the AI in a test match should have the abillity to bat for a whole day, not in every game necessarly as this is not always the case for some teams but still they should bat accordingly to the game. This will be one of the main things in which i will look out for when i purchase Ashes Cricket 09.

srk121

International Coach
People say that the game should be more realistic, in that case the AI in a test match should be scoring at like 3 or 4 an over NOT 10! But here is the thing, if the AI bat like 3 or 4 an over people will complain that they cant get them out or they score too slowly.

In my opinion the AI in a test match should have the abillity to bat for a whole day, not in every game necessarly as this is not always the case for some teams but still they should bat accordingly to the game. This will be one of the main things in which i will look out for when i purchase Ashes Cricket 09.

Test cricket should feel like test cricket in AC2009. I would love to see AI playing good cricket scoring of a bad ball and defending good ones and leaving the wide one. So when you take a wicket it will feel hard earning wicket nothing like blic where you bowl at one place and you can get them AI out.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Test cricket should feel like test cricket in AC2009. I would love to see AI playing good cricket scoring of a bad ball and defending good ones and leaving the wide one. So when you take a wicket it will feel hard earning wicket nothing like blic where you bowl at one place and you can get them AI out.

And when I get someone out, I want to feel that the strategy I employed might have had something to do with it. I want to have occasions where you might drop a good batsman and then he goes on to punish you with a 150 and his side stay out batting all day, racking up about 300!

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
What do you guys feel about this new bowling system? I know its been discussed a bit through this forum but I havent had time to really say anything until now. Fair enough we havent seen footage of it or anything, but from the way they make it sound it sort of seems like a step backward. It seems like it is based more on the EA way of choosing a delivery and then bowling it - pretty much pressing 2 buttons, there ya go. Thats seriously tedious, i HATED bowling on C07!

I understand that BLC05/07 was less realistic, with the way you could control the swing once you delivered the ball....but at least it kept the bowler involved in the delivery longer. The fact that we will now be stuck with pretty much the same mechanic as C07, only more predictable since the placement of the ball will be even easier this time around, Im just worried that bowling is going to be seriously terrible for gamers to actually sit through.

I also dont know what the point is of this whole "red, green" zone thing - Maybe someone can clear this up for me but does it actually mean that the game will "rate" your line and length according to the type of delivery you are bowling? If thats the case its seriously stupid....So now all of a sudden its only ok to bowl on a good length? It feels that, if thats the case, the gamer's freedom is taken away somewhat. I dont want the game to tell me where he THINKS its good to bowl....Ive watched cricket all my life, Im pretty sure by now I know where the good areas are. This seems more like one of those silly mini-games in Tiger Woods06 where you get more points for hitting the ball through coloured circles - really stupid. Perhaps something casual fans (i hate that term) would need the first 3 games they play, but honestly...people who know something about cricket dont need "pitch maps".

And while we're on the topic of "good areas" - I read a while ago (think Lazy mentioned it somewhere) that the game has a bit of a tennis ball bounce going on and that the ball doesnt really bounce realistically for the length at which it is pitched. Im sorry but that is unforgivable in this day and age. The basics of bowling is about line and length, and one thing that annoyed the hell outta me about BLC07 was that when I bowled the ball on a good length (because Im an informed cricket fan and I know what length to bowl) it would come across as a half-volley on the game. Dont you guys think that is seriously elementary? So i practially had to re-wire my entire understand of what is a good length in real life and what it is in a game. I really hope this is sorted out in Ashes09 - those kinds of mistakes are unforgivable if you ask me.

Surely the game is designed in a 3D environment and surely scale is involved - therefore it shouldnt be a mathematical conundrum (whatever that is) to translate a good length in real life onto a game.

This wasnt meant to become a rant, but I guess since I havent posted in ages I got a bit passionate about everything Ive read lol

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

From the reviews posted, most seemed to enjoy the bowling. Its rather hard to respond to your post (you make good points) without actually playing the game. All the more reason for Codies to release a bloody demo!

Eon

Club Cricketer
yea ive gotta agree... because that is my main concern with AC09; in RPIC07 you bowl good areas which would normally hit the top of the stumps which would in the game bounce over the stumps... so you would inch closer to the stumps... still it would bounce over.. and then you get one that will hit the stumps and the batsman is able to play a shot for 4 where the two previous balls have been left on length.

so some kind of physics engine would be nice... so the bounce of the ball is calculated on the run depending on the hardness of the pitch, how much grass is on the pitch, how new the ball is and whether the seam hit the ground etc etc... which could then also create cut of the deck with a straight ball hitting a crack etc

making for a bit of variable bounce and some nice cut, and even nice turn

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
yea ive gotta agree... because that is my main concern with AC09; in RPIC07 you bowl good areas which would normally hit the top of the stumps which would in the game bounce over the stumps... so you would inch closer to the stumps... still it would bounce over.. and then you get one that will hit the stumps and the batsman is able to play a shot for 4 where the two previous balls have been left on length.

so some kind of physics engine would be nice... so the bounce of the ball is calculated on the run depending on the hardness of the pitch, how much grass is on the pitch, how new the ball is and whether the seam hit the ground etc etc... which could then also create cut of the deck with a straight ball hitting a crack etc

making for a bit of variable bounce and some nice cut, and even nice turn

Surely they could fix the bounce very quickly if they wanted to? They really shouldn't leave it to guys like Lazy to do it again.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
We never managed it last time. The best thing to do was to play in New Zealand on a damp pitch, and the bounce was more like a normal cricket pitch.

graham

Club Captain
We never managed it last time. The best thing to do was to play in New Zealand on a damp pitch, and the bounce was more like a normal cricket pitch.

Lazy chestnut are you surprised at the delay of any annoucement or even videos from codemasters with the ashes well underway cheers;)

hsmith1978

Trickstar Games Representative
Hi guys, just thought I'd drop in and say hi, it's been a while!

The Ashes (the real ones) are looking interesting this year for once, quite cool...

Thanks for being so patient waiting for the game to come out. Must be easier (or harder?) now that the 7th has been announced...

Keep an eye on Codemasters Official UK website | games catalogue in the next few hours, I have it on good authority it should be changing pretty soon... :)

Now, on to this:

I also dont know what the point is of this whole "red, green" zone thing - Maybe someone can clear this up for me but does it actually mean that the game will "rate" your line and length according to the type of delivery you are bowling? If thats the case its seriously stupid....So now all of a sudden its only ok to bowl on a good length? It feels that, if thats the case, the gamer's freedom is taken away somewhat. I dont want the game to tell me where he THINKS its good to bowl....Ive watched cricket all my life, Im pretty sure by now I know where the good areas are.

The idea of the game is to be enjoyable to cricket fans of all levels of experience. Not all cricket fans know where the good areas are - delivery aiming (line/length/spin/swing) quality helps them learn about cricket at the same time as playing the game. Which is what a good sports game should do - you're learning about the finer points of the sport itself organically through the mechanics of the game.

If you already know where the good areas are, then you'll be at an advantage, as the game will reward you for bowling in those areas. You will not be penalized for bowling in 'normal' areas of the pitch, these are 'normal' balls which are of 'normal' difficulty for the batsman to hit. It's not this cut and dried, it's more of a curve type thing, with hot spots and falloff zones etc in the background, it's not a lookup table per se (if that makes sense). So it's actually quite an organic thing - I think when you'll see it you'll understand. Hopefully the feedback from the planet cricket guys have give you some indication that it isn't a 'mini game' type thing, it's modelling deliveries and delivery quality through a deeper set of factors than is normally addressed in cricket video games (normally just where you press the button on the meter).

What bowling a really really good quality ball does though is increases you chanced of getting a wicket, just like real cricket, as it's a harder ball for the batsman to hit. It doesn't mean he -will- go out necessarily, it's still up to his skill. And it also doesn't mean you'll never get him out on a 'normal' delivery - confidence, stamina, the batsman skill, all these play a part. The point is that your line/length/spin/swing are all factored in now, not just where you pressed a button on a meter (this is how you execute said aiming quality).

Also, re: Jamie being a British tosser... Jamie was incredibly offended by this. He wanted me to point out that he is, in fact, an ENGLISH tosser. He?d have written on here himself, but he has trouble typing with those wet hands of his.

;-)

Thanks guys, thanks again for your honest worries, criticism, support and most of all patience in the lead up to the game. Can't wait for it to come out, and get lots and lots of feedback from you guys.

Cheers,

Heath

D

Dutch

Hi guys, just thought I'd drop in and say hi, it's been a while!

The Ashes (the real ones) are looking interesting this year for once, quite cool...

Thanks for being so patient waiting for the game to come out. Must be easier (or harder?) now that the 7th has been announced...

Keep an eye on Codemasters Official UK website | games catalogue in the next few hours, I have it on good authority it should be changing pretty soon... :)

Now, on to this:

The idea of the game is to be enjoyable to cricket fans of all levels of experience. Not all cricket fans know where the good areas are - delivery aiming (line/length/spin/swing) quality helps them learn about cricket at the same time as playing the game. Which is what a good sports game should do - you're learning about the finer points of the sport itself organically through the mechanics of the game.

If you already know where the good areas are, then you'll be at an advantage, as the game will reward you for bowling in those areas. You will not be penalized for bowling in 'normal' areas of the pitch, these are 'normal' balls which are of 'normal' difficulty for the batsman to hit. It's not this cut and dried, it's more of a curve type thing, with hot spots and falloff zones etc in the background, it's not a lookup table per se (if that makes sense). So it's actually quite an organic thing - I think when you'll see it you'll understand. Hopefully the feedback from the planet cricket guys have give you some indication that it isn't a 'mini game' type thing, it's modelling deliveries and delivery quality through a deeper set of factors than is normally addressed in cricket video games (normally just where you press the button on the meter).

What bowling a really really good quality ball does though is increases you chanced of getting a wicket, just like real cricket, as it's a harder ball for the batsman to hit. It doesn't mean he -will- go out necessarily, it's still up to his skill. And it also doesn't mean you'll never get him out on a 'normal' delivery - confidence, stamina, the batsman skill, all these play a part. The point is that your line/length/spin/swing are all factored in now, not just where you pressed a button on a meter (this is how you execute said aiming quality).

Also, re: Jamie being a British tosser... Jamie was incredibly offended by this. He wanted me to point out that he is, in fact, an ENGLISH tosser. He?d have written on here himself, but he has trouble typing with those wet hands of his.

;-)

Thanks guys, thanks again for your honest worries, criticism, support and most of all patience in the lead up to the game. Can't wait for it to come out, and get lots and lots of feedback from you guys.

Cheers,

Heath

Thanks for clarifying a few things Heath. I for one really appreciate you taking the time to come on here and explain a few things and stand up for something that you obviously feel is a good step forward. Even though you make light of the offensive comment towards Jamie, which I respect you for, I think a number of people here need to have a look at themselves and ask why they make such a personal issue of things. No one has any right to "expect" anything or to attack someone personally because their "expectations" aren't met even though they base them on nothing. Thanks again and I am really looking forward to the game and am enjoying the real cricket...the first session this morning will be crucial!

Cheers,

Dutchad

graham

Club Captain
I agree people should not get personal it's just a game, and thanks Heath for checking pc out

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Great gesture of good intent by Heath. It is really refreshing to see developers' interest in PC. Thanks for your Concern.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
He?d have written on here himself, but he has trouble typing with those wet hands of his.

This literally made me lol.

Regarding the "tosser" insult, I don't think it's actually as bad as it sounds. Coming from an Aussie, I can see where the idea of a classic British tosser comes from (not in respect to an individual, but generally). It's a bit like the perception from the Brits that all Aussies lie around on the beach, dying their hair and piercing their eyebrows.

I actually thought it was quite funny, but nowhere near as funny as Heath's response!

Users who are viewing this thread