Ponting steps down as Australian captain

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This is a sad end to marvelous era of captaincy by Ponting. I hope his form surges from hereon in.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just now, got up and got this rubbish news :( I hope, Ponting now scored tons and tons of TON. Go Punter. We Are With You :cheers

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
this is really bad news :( ponting is was the all time best captain for aussie and in the world as well. I hope he will be in the squad .we saw Some captain left their captaincy they are not in the squad for example rahul dravid and ganguly :D

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
finally... his reign of terror is over although it was really over after the cb tri series 2008.

i hope he finds some form with the bat this year so he retires on a high as he wants to do.

Owzat

International Coach
Funny how, when the quality is lacking from the side, "the greatest skipper in the history of cricket" couldn't repeat tricks :rolleyes Australia haven't won the Ashes since McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist retired, not even down under. Funny that.

While captaincy plays a bigger part in ODIs than in Tests, it is the means at your disposal that play the biggest part. That's why the best eight sets of players in the World got to the QFs, that is why England stumbled at the first serious hurdle and why England haven't been in contention in the World Cup since 1992 when they had Gooch, Hick, Botham, Small, Lamb, Smith, Stewart and Fairbrother. Oh and that is the last time the aussies were complete pants in World Cups, no emergent Warne, Ponting, McGrath etc until 1996 with Gilchrist coming into the side in 1999 when the dominance began................. from 1996 to 2007 the aussies were three times winners and once runners-up

Gurjot95

National Board President
Harsh but maybe it was the right time to step down as captain. He was obviously a great skipper but his captain has graded down in last few months. Australia needed a new captain. Good news for Ponting that he can only concentrate in his batting.

Amar791849

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Just Saw this on Cricket australia Facebook Page, It's a Sad End to the Cpataincy of ricky ponting... & it's Very hard to Digest

Hoping That He will be Able to play upto next Ashes Series:)

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Funny how, when the quality is lacking from the side, "the greatest skipper in the history of cricket" couldn't repeat tricks :rolleyes Australia haven't won the Ashes since McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist retired, not even down under. Funny that.

While captaincy plays a bigger part in ODIs than in Tests, it is the means at your disposal that play the biggest part. That's why the best eight sets of players in the World got to the QFs, that is why England stumbled at the first serious hurdle and why England haven't been in contention in the World Cup since 1992 when they had Gooch, Hick, Botham, Small, Lamb, Smith, Stewart and Fairbrother. Oh and that is the last time the aussies were complete pants in World Cups, no emergent Warne, Ponting, McGrath etc until 1996 with Gilchrist coming into the side in 1999 when the dominance began................. from 1996 to 2007 the aussies were three times winners and once runners-up

Maybe if England had a captain as good as Ponting, they could've converted that package in 1992 :)

No one's saying Ponting single-handedly achieved all the records Australia broke during his tenure, but without him, who knows whether all those greats we produced would've had the same platform to shine.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
This might be just what he needs to finish his career off in style rather than where it appeared to be heading. He really should just focus on Test cricket, there is nothing left for him to achieve in the ODI game and his goal should be the 2013 Ashes.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

summation in the paper said, "captained a great team adequately and an average one poorly." I think I agree along those lines.

although, in fairness, it takes a little more than just standing there to get a team of great players to function as one. India really should have achieved more with their set of players in the same time frame.

will be interesting to see how he goes simply batting. he seems to be better at playing spin now, whereas his ability against pace has severly declined, vulnerable outside off and on the short balls now. he's not just doing a sachin, he is literally becoming indian. will clarke have the gumption to stick him at 5 where he might be better suited now?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I don't think Clarke could dictate terms to Ponting having been his "disciple" for so long. I think Ponting will continue to bat at #3 and when the day comes that he longer can, he will retire.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Harsh but maybe it was the right time to step down as captain. He was obviously a great skipper but his captain has graded down in last few months. Australia needed a new captain. Good news for Ponting that he can only concentrate in his batting.

Harsh but fair :thumbs. The South Africa tour of 2009 where Australia won completely unexpectedly while giving 4 or 5 guys debuts (Hughes, North, Hilfenhaus, McGain, Siddle was only young, McDonald had only played 1 Test) was some of Ponting's best work and it showed what he could do as in inspirer of young players. Was a great achievement to win that series. Unfortunately, that magic hasn't been found since, although the 2009 Ashes could have gone the other way pretty easily. Anyway, Ponting's just lost that winning vibe now, he's got some annoying captaincy habits and he's chosen a great time to make a switch. So I think he's made a great call here to play on under Clarke. He'll be the type of guy that will support Clarke really well behind the scenes I think, despite how the media will try and amplify any potential conflict. And I doubt Ponting plays on for more than a year or 2 anyway, unless he hits some spectacular form.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
What a professional statement from Ponting. A real and true example of a Cricket lover. He knows that no player is bigger than the game. Brilliant decision and brilliant thinking of moving his career forward. I hope that he will score bunch of runs now.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think Ponting has achieved all that he can in his great career. I think the timing and the moment was right.

I think his retirement from all forms of cricket is not far off now to be honest though he might hang on it Test cricket for some time, maybe.

Robelinda

International Coach
Cant think of any great victorious teams or captains who didnt have great players at their disposal. Does this mean that no captain has ever been great? Seems to be the logic in this thread. Ponting has done some stellar work as captain, people just remember the losses though. :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread